Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reply to Debbie's 7-9-11 post re: Mike

Posted by Erling 
Erling
Reply to Debbie's 7-9-11 post re: Mike
July 11, 2011 02:27PM
Debbie wrote @ <[www.afibbers.org];:

"Mike has made several changes in the last 6 months. One of the changes has been to reduce sodium and increase potassium. I don't know if this is what has made the impact but he is doing so well. He rarely has PAC's and he was having them for hours at a time several times a week. He first noticed the change over two months ago.

I will post about his other change at a later date if his good fortune holds.

Debbie"

=======================

Debbie, it's great but not at all surprising that the potassium/sodium science of Dr. Moore and colleagues is of benefit to Mike -- you're bridging a knowledge gap created by greedy self-serving salt, food, and pill 'Powers That Be' that intentionally kept this life and health bestowing science away from us for at least 25 years. It's staggering to consider the personal tragedies this has cost.

The relationship between potassium and sodium is absolutely fundamental to cardiac rhythm, because the cellular K:Na ratio determines the cardiac muscle cells' voltage, hence their performance and coordination. This voltage, the "trans-membrane potential", is generated by millions of sodium/potassium pumps in each cell's outer membrane. CR Session 72, 'The potassium/sodium ratio in atrial fibrillation' (http://www.afibbers.org/conference/session72.pdf) goes into this in depth, e.g.:

"Biophysicist Richard D. Moore MD, PhD: Biophysics is that realm of science that looks at the living cell as a whole system. In so doing, biophysics takes into account not only the molecules of the cell, but also electrical forces and fields and how these are all interrelated... Our new understanding of the living cell clearly shows that all variables (such as sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium) are interrelated. The living cell is a multivariable system - not a machine made up of discrete parts. Although it is almost never explained in textbooks, every living cell has its own electrical system. The living cell generates the electricity to charge its battery by a mechanism called the sodium-potassium pump... If the sodium-potassium pump is slowed, after awhile the concentration of sodium and potassium inside the cell will come closer to the concentrations outside, and the membrane voltage will become much smaller. (The High Blood Pressure Solution, 1993, 2001)"

A basic requirement for having the Na/K pumps producing voltage optimally is to have the dietary K:Na ratio AT LEAST 4:1, counting all sources. For 'paleo man' the ratio was about 16:1 ('Paleolithic Nutrition', NEJM, June 31, 1985)

Please do keep us informed about Mike's progress with this -- it's important for everyone to know. Thanks and best wishes!

Erling.

Debbie
Re: Reply to Debbie's 7-9-11 post re: Mike
July 13, 2011 10:25AM
Thanks Erling,

Mike had a run of PAC's for the first time in ten weeks a few nights ago. He had beem biking for about three days consecutively at high intestity and that's what I blame for the disturbance. When he has PAC's they tend to be in runs that last hours.

I really think the K/NA ratio has helped but I'm wondering if the diet changes can ever compensate for the exercise induced PAC's. Mike's ratio has not reached your ideal. His ratio was probably about 1,5-1. I estimate that it is now probably 2.5-1. I read every label and am much more aware. What else is intersting is that my borderline high blood pressure was 113/57 when I checked it last. I thought it was wrong and took it again. So the salt institute has it ALL wrong in my case.

Debbie

Erling
Re: Reply to Debbie's 7-9-11 post re: Mike
July 13, 2011 12:21PM
Thanks Debbie -

- With Mike's K/Na ratio only ~2.5:1 it isn't at all surprising that he's been having lengthy runs of PACs. The reason I keep hammering away on this is that any heart rhythm disturbance can be a sign that things are wrong throughout all 50 trillion cells of the body. PACs and Afib can be a friendly wake-up call that should not be ignored -- if one wants to live a healthy life (as who doesn't).

- Of course a High K/Na ratio will "compensate for the exercise induced PAC's". Think this through in terms of cellular energy (voltage): Heavy exercise reduces the cells' energy reserves (voltage). Low K:Na reduces the cells' voltage. The obvious corrective is to increase the cells' voltage by increasing the cellular K/Na ratio. K:Na = 2.5:1 is not nearly high enough for good voltage.

- Yes, even a slight improvement in ones K/Na ratio can bring measurable BP improvement - which should be encouragement to go much further. As stated, the minimum K:Na should be AT LEAST 4:1, preferably much higher. Remember, we evolved with 16:1.

- The corrupt Salt Institute has it all wrong in all cases of our health (except salt for icy roads and sidewalks). Their current blatant display of arrogant opposition to scientific fact - with surprisingly corrupt Scientific American firmly in tow - is a disgrace to "human".

- We should probably do a separate topic on energy -- something like: Mg-ATP + K/Na = voltage -- and how little sodium one actually should be consuming for health and longevity.

Thanks, and best to you and Frank!

Erling

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login