Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium and acid reflux

Posted by Carol 
Carol
Magnesium and acid reflux
May 05, 2011 02:42AM
Given the cause and effect connection noted by afibbers between acid reflux and afib, I wonder if taking magnesium supplements actually contributes to the acid reflux/ afib syndrome.

Since magnesium is a known muscle relaxant, taking it (especially, not not only, on an empty stomach before going to bed) could relax the esophageal sphincter, allowing stomach acid to leak from the stomach into the esophagus, thus irritating the esophagus and the adjacent vagus nerve > afib.

Carol
Re: Magnesium and acid reflux
May 05, 2011 04:05AM
Carol - While I've not read everthing published on magnesium, I've don't recall reading that it should not be used at night on an empty stomach. I've used it at bedtime for over 10 years and have not experienced GERD. If it was a significant player, there would be plenty of warnings because GERD is such a prevalent issue - especially when people don't have enough stomach acid to properly digest their food, especially proteins.

It should be noted that the magnesium glycinate form which we recommend does not depend on stomach acid for absorption and therefore is not activated until it reaches the small intestine where it enters the blood stream where it is then available throughout the entire body. Actually, any of the magnesiums functional via the blood stream, eventually.

I'm thinking that some of the magnesium compounds that depend on stomach acid for breakdown would just tend to neutralize a high acid content so I'm not seeing that it would be a cause of GERD.

Jackie
Erling
May 05, 2011 08:04AM
Carol, Jackie,

Isn't the esophageal sphincter relaxed when closed?

Erling

Erling
May 05, 2011 11:54AM
Food for thought? I know nothing ...

"A sphincter is a structure, or a circular muscle, that normally maintains constriction of a natural body passage or orifice and which relaxes as required by normal physiological functioning. There are over 50 different sphincters in the human body; some of these sphincters are microscopic in size, in particular the precapillary sphincters" [en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

May 06, 2011 04:07AM
Check out this clip by Steve Rochlitz, PhD...the hiatal hernia expert....

The Lower Esophageal Sphincter, or Schatzki's Ring

As detailed in my earlier article, the Hiatal Hernia Syndrome can (eventually) cause serious illness including respiratory and cardiac symptoms, and appears to be present in most sufferers of food and chemical allergies. (2) But some of these complaints may be caused by the so-called Schatzki's ring, and not the hernia itself. You can have either condition and not the other, or you may have both--as is common.

Schatzki's ring is a disorder of the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES). The LES acts like a valve between the esophagus and the stomach. Schatzki's ring may be thought of as a hardened, thickened, multi-fold, scar-type tissue. If this ring is present, the LES does not function properly. It may be open when it should be closed--causing reflux (GERD); or it may be closed when it should be open. The latter condition can then lead to food being trapped above the ring. There may be constriction.

Trapped food or spasms of the esophagus can then cause serious problems including breathing difficulty (asthma, etc.) and tachycardia and other arrhythmias.

The LES (Shatzki's) Ring (as well as an Hiatal Hernia) shows up on X-ray (upper GI series) or during an endoscopy (EGD). Thus it is important to have either test if you have stomach complaints or food or even chemical or electromagnetic sensitivities. As stated in my previous article, once the Vagus nerve is under- or over-excited, the entire body is in great imbalance, and almost any organ can malfunction as many visceral organs are innervated by a branch of the Vagus (Para-sympathetic) Nerve. Also this can make the person sensitive to any environmental factor as well as possibly deplete or weaken the adrenal glands, thyroid or liver.

Some foods are more likely to get trapped (stuck) at the LES Ring, if present. These include breads and fibrous (tough) meats. Dry foods (like bread) can be a problem, but wheat, beef (or other) allergy may also be a factor. (Or this may be a purely mechanical problem, or contain elements of both allergy and mechanical anomalies.) "Steakhouse Syndrome" is the nickname Emergency Room personnel have given this syndrome when people come in with "high" anxiety, or respiratory or cardiac, or cardiac-like symptoms due to trapped food at the Lower Esophageal Sphincter. Steaks and bagels seem to be the worst, but any hard food or even drug or vitamin tablets or capsules can also get stuck! The person likely has some occasional swallowing difficulties. Foods may need to be pureed in advanced cases. Peristalsis is impaired in those with Schatzki's Ring. In the E.R., sometimes an emergency endoscopy and food or tablet removal has to be performed. Endoscopic stretching of the ring is also standardly recommended whenever Schatzki's Ring is found and when the person also has any swallowing difficulty or other complaints described above. This is facilitated by a choice of instruments inserted into the esophagus, including a balloon, telescoping device, or Bougie. Breaking (stretching) the ring is supposed to be a simple, relatively riskless procedure. Many people report great improvement in their health after this. The downside is that many of these people report that it only lasts six months to a year. Some people get it done every year.

Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, Jan, 2004 by Steven Rochlitz
May 06, 2011 04:14AM

Occasionally after swallowing, the LES doesn't quite close all the way. ... A relaxed lower esophageal sphincter caused by some drugs (illegal or otherwise) ...
[www.home-remedy-site.com]

Caffeine can relax the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), allowing stomach contents to reflux into the esophagus
[heartburn.about.com]

Diagrams
[acid-reflux-relief.blogspot.com]
Jerry
May 06, 2011 07:15AM
Jackie, I recently began using Doctor's Best 100% chelated Magnesium supplement which consists of magnesium glycinate and lysinate chelate, both of which are derived from Albion acid chelates as well as Bioperine, black pepper extract. However I have been experiencing an exacerbation of GERD, as well as last night a sudden onset of tachycardia (I do not believe that it was AFIcool smiley that lasted about ten seconds, with a HR elevation to 79 beats (my normal HR is approximately forty two) that spontaneously ended when I belched!

Is it possible that the lysinate chelate and/or the Bioperine may be contributing to this reaction and should I be taking a supplement that only contains Magnesium Glycinate from Albion? Thanks.
May 06, 2011 08:36AM
Jerry - in past posts, several people have noted that the bioperene causes them gastric distress. Try taking it with meals if you don't... but also consider using the Bluebonnet Albion Mag Glycinate that does not contain additional additives.

This report may be helpful.
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login