Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kidney function - Bartter's and Gitelman's Syndromes

Posted by Erling 
Erling
Kidney function - Bartter's and Gitelman's Syndromes
December 23, 2010 02:54AM
In another thread Jackie mentioned these conditions. It would seem important for anyone with AF to have the possibility checked out by a competent nephrologist:

What is Bartter’s Syndrome?

Bartter’s Syndrome is an inherited defect in the renal tubules that causes low potassium levels, low chloride levels, which in turn causes metabolic alkalosis. Bartter Syndrome, is not a single disorder but rather a set of closely related disorders. These Bartter-like syndromes share many of the same physiologic derangements, but differ with regard to the age of onset, the presenting symptoms, the magnitude of urinary potassium (K) and prostaglandin excretion, and the extent of urinary calcium excretion.

Read the rest » <[barttersite.org]>

What is Gitelman’s Syndrome?

Gitelman’s syndrome is a rare inherited defect in the renal tubule of the kidneys. This defect causes the kidney to waste magnesium, sodium, potassium and chloride in the urine, instead of reabsorbing it back into the bloodstream. Urine calcium levels are lower than normal, despite normal serum values. This syndrome does not cause kidney failure nor does it cause the kidneys to function abnormally. The kidneys are normal. The problem is the reabsorption of important electrolytes and minerals.

Read the rest » <[barttersite.org]>

PS:

- The above was copy/pasted from the excellent website [barttersite.org], Herbert C. Mansmann, Jr. M.D. being a principal. From there one may link to many relevant writings.

- Jackie's important 'mention' of these conditions in the thread below are from one of the books basic to her 'The Strategy - What metabolic Cardiology Means to Afibbers'. This is highly recommended reading: [www.afibbers.org]

Re: Kidney function - Bartter's and Gitelman's Syndromes
December 26, 2010 01:04AM
Excellent point, Erling. My FM MD says that these formal syndromes may not be present in individuals who, though the aging process, begin to have what she calls 'leaky kidneys',,,, leaking to a minor degree overall, but may be something that would be significant in an afibber. I suspect that while my kidney function tests are normal, I have some electrolyte wasting which may account for the periodic AF breakthroughs when I become inattentive to my usual dosing.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login