Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GABA/5-HTP Combination Improves Sleep Quality and Duration

Posted by Jackie 
GABA/5-HTP Combination Improves Sleep Quality and Duration
August 06, 2010 07:13AM
A very small study of 18 patients with sleep disorders participated as outpatients in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial which evaluated the use of 5HTP and GABA for sleep improvement.

The conclusion indicated:
The difference between the active and placebo groups was significant (P = 0.01). Ease of falling asleep, awakenings, and am grogginess improved. Objective measurement of parasympathetic function as measured by 24-hour heart rate variability improved in the active group compared with placebo. An amino acid preparation containing both GABA and 5-hydroxytryptophan reduced time to fall asleep, decreased sleep latency, increased the duration of sleep, and improved quality of sleep.

Shell W, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of an amino acid preparation on timing and quality of sleep. Am J Ther. 2010 Mar-Apr;17(2):133-9.

Jackie,

This could be important for me personally as I'm still needing a small (25 mg) evening dose of 'trazodone' for sleep. That's a huge improvement considering that several months ago that drug was ineffective at 100 mg, but I would like to eliminate it completely. Do you know the doses of 5HTP and GABA that were used in the trial? Perhaps that was not revealed, as the writing is about "An amino acid preparation containing both GABA and 5-hydroxytryptophan......."

Thank you! Erling

Erling: I have a similar sleep problem and my integrative M. D. suggested that GABA is great for helping sleep but really difficult to get across the blood brain barrier.

He suggested a new medical food that contains a substance which makes the brain's use of the GABA much more efficient. I've been using 2 capsules nightly for about a month and it has helped my sleep, both in the duration of it and the lessening of restlessness during wakeful periods.

Here's a write-up on Kavinace.

Gordon

Kavinace from Neuroscience combines two powerful ingredients that have been shown to effectively address stress, anxiety, irritability, hyperactivity, and sleep problems*.

# Natural support for improved sleep quality*

# Combines two powerful GABA-enhancing ingredients to provide support for a relaxing effect on the brain & body*

# Support for decreased anxiety*

One of these ingredients is Phenibut (4-amino-3-phenylbutyric acid ), a GABA derivative that easily crosses the blood/brain barrier, binds to GABA receptors, and helps increase GABA levels. Phenibut also helps inhibit the excitatory neurotransmitter phenylethylamine, while providing anti-convulsant, anti-arrhythmic, and anti-aggression effects.

The other ingredient, Taurine, serves as an osmoregulator and neuromodulator while providing support for neuron protection from hypoxia, free radicals, excess ammonia, and excitotoxicity.

Taurine may also provide support for increasing GABA levels by preventing GABA breakdown and re-uptake. Kavinaces Phenubit/ Taurine combination may enhance binding of benzodiazepine to GABA receptors; it also includes Vitamin B6 for support of GABA synthesis.

Supplement Facts
Each capsule contains:
Vitamin B6 5mg
Thera Mix 4 Proprietary Blend (475mg) of:
---Taurine and 4-amino-3-phenylbutyric acid
Other Ingredients: vegetable cellulose (vegetarian capsules) and magnesium stearate.
Contains NO: wheat, corn, soy, salt, sucrose, starch, yeast, artificial flavors, artificial colorings, or other known allergens.

Recommended Use:
Adults: Take 1 to 2 capsules one to two times daily. Do not exceed 6 capsules per day. Use under the supervision of a licensed health care professional.

Warning:
If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your health care professional before use.

Note:
Keep out of direct sunlight. Keep out of reach of children.

For more information see:

Kavinace Data Sheet
Re: GABA/5-HTP Combination Improves Sleep Quality and Duration
August 07, 2010 01:55AM
Erling - This was just a short abstract that didn't go into any of the specific dosing details. I looked online to see if I could find more detail but was not successful.

From The Mood Cure by Julia Ross:

Boost your serotonin in 24 hours with 5-HTP.
Try 50 to 150 mg of 5-HTP mid-afternoon (as the sun sinks) and again at 10 p.m. (if sleep or late night cravings are a problem).
Why? 5-HTP converts directly into mood and appetite regulating serotonin, which is converted, at night, into sleep-promoting melatonin.

GABA – 100 – 500 mg one to three times a day at or before your high-stress times, typically midafternoon and/or bedtime.

Or try a combination of GABA with the aminos taurine and glycine….Or with inositol.

GABA Calm by Source Naturals, True Calm by NOW foods or Amino Relaxers by Country Life

========

Natural Factors also has a GABA product -
PharmaGABA is a superior source and naturally produced form of the important brain compound gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Clinical studies have shown PharmaGABA helps to increase the production of alpha brain waves to create a profound sense of physical relaxation while maintaining mental focus.

All Natural Factors products are manufactured in accordance with the Government of Canada's Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), among the highest standards in the world.

Jackie
Thanks Gordon,

I appreciate the information. I have been well instructed on the fact that "GABA is great for helping sleep", and I was no doubt told, but had forgotten, that GABA is "really difficult to get across the blood brain barrier". I suppose the proprietary ingredient of 'Kavinace' is "Phenibut (4-amino-3-phenylbutyric acid ), a GABA derivative that easily crosses the blood/brain barrier, binds to GABA receptors, and helps increase GABA levels. Phenibut also helps inhibit the excitatory neurotransmitter phenylethylamine , while providing anti-convulsant, anti-arrhythmic, and anti-aggression effects."

I see that Kavinace is readily available from suppliers on the web, but not from iHerb.

Erling.

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the good information, and Julia Ross's recommendations. A superficial web search supports the notion that oral GABA does not readily, if at all, enter the brain, i.e. make it through the blood-brain-barrier: [www.denvernaturopathic.com]. I haven't yet looked into Natural Factor's PharmaGABA to see if has something to enhance GABA's entry into the brain. Perhaps Kavinace with its '4-amino-3-phenylbutyric acid' is a better way to go? (Gordon's post, above,)

Erling
Erling: Its worth a try as there's little downside and you'll know within a day or two if it works for you or not.

The price seems to be fair traded at $35 for 60 pills and I take two each evening.

Gordon
Jacie,

I'm totally confused.

GABA in and of itself is tooted as a sleep aid, yet on the other hand it doesn't enter the brain.

How, then, can it be effective?

Carol
August 09, 2010 06:33AM
Carol - It's my understanding that GABA does not cross the blood brain barrier very easily but in some individuals, it works well anyway because it acts like a natural valium. I prefer using 5 HTP to help with sleep and have not experimented much with GABA myself or with the people to whom I've recommended the 5HTP for sleep issues.

According to Julia Ross, some people find GABA instantly relaxing. The precaution is that when you no longer need GABA, it can make you tired rather than just relaxed, according to Ms. Ross.

For sleep issues, it's typically addressing the adrenal function first.... if you are producing cortisol at inappropriate times, you will probably have difficulty calming down to relax enough for good sleep.

Jackie
August 10, 2010 12:56AM
Carol – I did some checking in the Russell Blaylock (retired neurosurgeon) archives about the use of GABA. He indicates it’s used more for depression and also mentions the crossing the BBB issue.

Therefore he recommends…

" A better alternative to GABA is to increase one’s
intake of omega-3 fats, especially DHA. Elevated
consumption of omega-3 fats, as discussed in my
previous newsletters, significantly reduced depression
when levels of omega-6 fats were reduced at the
same time.

Omega-6 fats have been shown to increase
depression — and Americans wolf them down at an
alarming rate. Conversely, Omega-3 fats boost
serotonin levels in the brain, and that is important in
preventing depression, suicide and violent outbursts.
Omega-3 also bolsters dopamine, a neurotransmitter
that elevates mood and stimulates motivation. All
this serves to make the connections in the brain
work better. "

As I mentioned previously, I think the 5HTP and theanine are better for sleeping or even day-time calmness. Both are precursors to the neurotransmitter, serotonin, which is calming (relaxing) and helps with sleep issues.

Michael Murray ND has written a book on 5 HTP that may be useful to you.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login