Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jackie - off-topic ferritin question

Posted by Darcy 
Darcy
Jackie - off-topic ferritin question
June 21, 2010 01:46PM
I'm posting this b/c I know others struggle with this.

My ferritin measured 7 about 4.5 months ago. I started taking a dessicated liver product. I am now at a 12. :-P My doc thinks I just don't absorb particularly well. I know I have a leaky gut and am doing things to ease that. I'm trying to pack my diet full of iron rich foods as well. (I'm not paleo, but am GF/CF/SF.)

I know that I can't really resolve my adrenal and thyroid issues until the ferritin gets up. My doc just wants me to keep plugging away and is encouraged I went up at all given what a mess my labs were when we started, but I'm frustrated...

Any other suggestions?
Re: Jackie - off-topic ferritin question
June 21, 2010 02:11PM
Jackie,

My ferritin was 7 last August and now just tested at 16.74 so it looks like we both gained approx. 1 point per month. I haven't seen my dr. about these results yet so I'll let you know if she thinks this indicates a problem absorbing.

I am using blood builders which is a whole food iron supplement. Someone on another board mentioned a liquid iron supplement, but I can't recall the name. I've seen it in the health food store so I may give that a try.

I know that my cardio said it would probably take a year to correct.

June 21, 2010 02:14PM
Darcy, sorry. I saw Jackie's name in the topic and assumed I was replying to her. Oh, well, you know what happens when you "assume".

Hans Larsen
June 21, 2010 02:41PM
Lynn,

Perhaps you are thinking of Floradix. That is supposed to be quite effective.

It is available in my vitamin store; just search for Floradix iron.

Hans

June 21, 2010 02:45PM
Hans,

Yes that is the name. Do you know if it more effective than other products?

June 21, 2010 05:03PM
Darcy - the iron product you may be looking for is the Ferrochel... bis-glycinate chelate form. It's easy on the stomach and is only absorbed if you need it so the danger of overload is eliminated.

Ferrochel is a “true chelate” mineral supplements utilizing Albion Advanced Nutrition starting material.... so check the label identifications to verify it's the Albion product.

On the iherb website by Hans, there are several products... here's one from NOW brands [www.iherb.com]

Jackie

(Here's info from a product data sheet)

Ferrochel (iron bis-glycinate chelate)

Unlike common forms of supplemental iron, this form of iron carries no electrical charge, making it easier to absorb and less likely to block the absorption of other nutrients, such as vitamin E, ascorbic acid, and calcium. Because Ferrochel is a neutral, fully-reacted molecule, it doesn't break down in stomach acid and is delivered intact to the intestine, where it is easily absorbed. Inorganic iron supplements, such as ferrous sulfate, have low bioavailability and often produce unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects, such as nausea, constipation and gastric upset. The form of iron in Ferrochel gives clinicians a better alternative.

CLINICAL USAGE
Ferrochel can be used to replete iron in cases of deficiency due to dietary factors, such as improperly managed vegetarianism, or in cases of malabsorption due to gastrointestinal diseases, such as Celiac or Crohn's. More functional forms of gastrointestinal mucosal damage and inflammation, such as food allergy, dysbiosis, and the use of various medications, can also alter absorption negatively. Ferrochel is the optimal form of iron to correct iron-deficiency anemia. However, underlying causes of iron-deficiency, such as heavy menses, ulcers, gastritis, stomach cancer, or other causes of chronic bleeding must also be evaluated in addition to supplementation. Studies in children have shown supplemental iron to improve nutritional status, physical fitness, and cognitive performance.

SAFETY
While iron is critical for proper metabolism and tissue perfusion, too much can also be a problem. Ferrochel has been found to be safer than typical iron salts found in foods and dietary supplements, and does not produce any pathological side-effects in animals, even after long-term feeding. Various clinical trials have shown that iron bis-glycinate's (Ferrochel) absorption is controlled by body iron stores, with greater levels being absorbed by individuals with lower iron status. Albion has qualified Ferrochel (iron amino acid chelate) for self affirmation as GRAS (generally regarded as safe) by producing an extensive array of independently run toxicology studies, and having them reviewed by a panel of food safety experts. These experts concluded that Ferrochel met the appropriate specifications to be considered GRAS for food fortification. The panel found Ferrochel to have a NOAEL (no observed adverse effect level) of greater than 500 mg of iron/kg bw/day. This is an astounding safety level for any iron ingredient, let alone one that has been shown to have the high level of bioavailability and effectiveness seen in the research on Ferrochel.

Properties:
A true iron chelate from Albion Minerals
More absorbable and bioavailable with less gastrointestinal side-effects
Less potential for iron toxicity
Does not block absorption of other nutrients
Iron replenishment for a multitude of clinical applications:
Microcytic hypochromic anemia
Dietary inadequacy (ie: Vegetarianism)
G.I. malabsorption syndromes (Celiac, Crohn's, etc.)
Fatigue syndromes related to anemia
Anemia due to chronic bleeding (ie: ulcer, gastritis, heavy menses, etc.)
Ferrochel is a patented iron in the form of iron bis-glycinate

Research:
Galdi, M., Bassi, A., Barrio Rendo, M.E.and Balencia, M.E.(1988). Ferric glycinate iron bioavailability as determined by haemoglobin regeneration. Nutr. Rep. Int. 37 (3): 591.

Ashmead, H.D. & Jeppsen (1993) Enhanced tissue metabolism of minerals chelated to amino acids. In: Bioavailability 93, Nutritional, Chemical and Food Processing Implications of Nutrient Availability. (Schlemmer U., ed) part 2 pp.63-67 Bundesforschungsanstalt fur Ernahrung, Ettlingen, Germany.

Ashmead.H.D. (1991) Comparative intestinal absorption and consequent metabolism of metal amino acid chelate and organic metal salts.l In: Bioogical Trace Element Research (Subramanian, K.S., Iyengar, G.V. and Okamoto, K, eds.) American Chemical Society Symposium Series 445. Washington DC.

Christensen, J.M: Effects of Divalent Amino Acids on Iron Absorption. J. Pharm Sci. 1984;73 (9) 1245-7.

Kirchoff, H.W. : Treatment of Iron Deficiency Anemia with Iron Chelate Tablets. Therapiewoche (Germany) 1983;33/37;4833-42.

Schruffer, H., Stein, W.: Iron Chelate Tablets in Iron Deficiency Anemia. Therapiewoche (Germany) 1983:33/15; 2121-23.

Ashmead, H.D., Graff, D.J., Ashmead, H.H.: Intestinal Absorption of Metal Ions and Chelates. Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, Illinois, 1985.

GeorgeN
June 21, 2010 06:39PM
I used NOW brand Iron at Jackie's suggestion when my ferritin was low. It worked quickly to bring it up.

Darcy
June 22, 2010 06:49AM
Thanks, all.
Adrian
June 22, 2010 06:21PM
Darcy, Vitamin C can aid in iron absorption. The following is an excerpt from the book "Exposing the Hidden Dangers of Iron" by E.D. weinberg, Ph.D.

"Reducing agents such as ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) change the valence of the nonheme iron from the ferric to the ferrous state. The latter is more soluble and thus more readily absorbed in the duodenal portion of our small intestine. Other promoters of iron absorption are meat and alcohol, each of which enhances formation of stomach acid. The acid helps to maintain a low ph value in the duodenum, wich favors the solubility of ferrous iron. "

Adrian
Darcy
June 22, 2010 06:44PM
Thanks, Adrian - the product I'm taking specifically deals with this issue and does not require Vitamin C for absorption and doesn't cause free-radicals. It's actually not iron - it's dessicated liver, which is heme iron. My understanding is that it's one of the best products on the market for increasing ferritin levels - I think I'm just a very difficult patient. :-)

I do think I need to check into the low ph and solubility thing, however. That might be an interesting piece of the puzzle for me. Thank you!
PeggyM
June 23, 2010 03:06PM
Hello Darcy, i use cast iron cookware. It is supposed to impart extra iron to the food. Around here cast iron fry pans tend to cost around $5 each at thrift stores and yard sales. I use them because i like them, i learned to cook with them when i was small. Whenever i use the thinner more modern cookware i burn things.
PeggyM
Darcy
June 24, 2010 07:47AM
Peggy - I have been trying to do that as much as possible - I'm jealous you learned when you were young. My parents had all that toxic non-stick stuff and thought it was fabulous. My in-laws, however, cook EVERYTHING in a cast iron and my MIL makes constant fun of me that I burn EVERYTHING in the cast iron! I'm starting to get better at it, so maybe ultimately it will help my ferritin bottom line. :-)
PeggyM
June 24, 2010 10:02AM
Darcy, not only did i learn to use cast iron, i learned on a wood stove. I am old enough to qualify as a genuine antique.
PeggyM
June 24, 2010 10:39AM
Darcy - turn the heat down really low. High heat frying or cooking temp is detrimental to foods and then you eat those foods. Lots of free radical damage from high heat temps. Then you won't have to worry about burning food. Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login