Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ca:Mg: Implications beyond AF

Posted by PC, MD 
Ca:Mg: Implications beyond AF
August 08, 2021 02:35PM
Magnesium Treatment on Methylation Changes of Transmembrane Serine Protease 2 (TMPRSS2)
[doi.org]

Highlights

* TMPRSS2 is essential for SARS-CoV-2 entry and prostate cancerprogression.
* Higher expression of TMPRSS2relates to higher viral loads and worse outcomes.
* TMPRSS2 affects COVID-19 severity by regulating the coagulation cascade.
* Magnesium treatment increased 5-methylcytosine DNA methylation at cg16371860 in TMPRSS2.
* Magnesium treatment decreased 5-hydroxymethylcytosine modification at cg26337277 in TMPRSS2.

"These findings, if confirmed, provide another mechanism for the role of Mg intervention in the prevention of COVID-19 and treatment of early and mild disease by modifying the phenotype of the TMPRSS2 genotype."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2021 07:01PM by PC, MD.
Re: Ca:Mg: Implications beyond AF
August 08, 2021 10:25PM
If your Ca/Mg ratio is high, you might even experience PACs when you take vitamin D.

More than likely this is due to the consumption of magnesium in one with suboptimal stores. The consumption occurs during the production of active vitamin D. Magnesium is a required cofactor for hydroxylation (in the liver and kidney) of cholecalciferol to produce 1,25 dihydroxy cholecalciferol. Cholecalciferol is produced in the skin upon sun exposure or ingested as D3.
August 09, 2021 01:01PM
In Mildred Seelig's great book MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF DISEASE several informative figures can be found at [www.mgwater.com]
Specifically fig 12-2 shows that individuals on high calcium/vitamin D diets not only absorb less intestinal magnesium but also waste magnesium in their urine.
Postmenopausal women are especially at risk for magnesium deficiency. This is probably why osteoporosis is highest in North America and Scandinavia where dairy products are abundant, many supplemented with vitamin D.
This is probably why afibbers that initiate vitamin D supplementation develop PACs. We are a group prone to magnesium deficiency.
If you have occasional leg cramps, migraines, constipation, muscle twitching, palpitations (PACs),… You are a magnesium deficient.
August 09, 2021 06:51PM
PC- I’m dairy free and do not take C supplements. However I do take magnesium and d3 (not at the same time).

Does this mean taking 2000 IU /day vitamin D will diminish my magnesium levels? I need to take 600mg magnesium a day as advice from the EXA test.
August 09, 2021 08:47PM
Hi Susan,

If you’re taking 600 mg of elemental magnesium daily you don’t have to worry about a thing. I take about 700 mg of elemental magnesium, which is about perfect for me. You should consider increasing your daily intake of vitamin D from 2000 to about four or 5000. Fauci takes 6000 international units daily. The D increases both calcium and magnesium intestinal absorption . I combine this with 100 µg of vitamin K2 (thank you Jackie) to prevent ectopic calcification should the calcium levels increase overtime. But if you’re low on dairy no problem.
PS Avocados are great for Mg (and vitamin E).
August 10, 2021 12:37PM
Thanks PC!
My dr is board certified plus he does eastern medicine with herbs and supplements. He takes a lot of tests. My D levels are frequently high so he told me to cut down.

I love avocados!
August 10, 2021 01:08PM
If the 25 hydroxycholecalciferol level is below 50 ng/ml, then it is really a little low. I keep mine up around 80 ng/ml.
Professor Wimalawansa advises 50 ng/ml. See the first article at
[www.researchgate.nett]
If motivated and interested, look at his other articles there as well.
Unfortunately he doesn’t mention magnesium which is absolutely critical.
See figures 20, 21, 22 in my article at
[www.researchgate.net]
August 10, 2021 01:18PM
Currently 38. It used to be 46 when I was told to cut down. Doesn’t a high level increase risk for Alzheimer’s disease?
August 10, 2021 02:57PM
Please furnish an article, if you can, documenting such an association.
Actually the opposite is the case.
If you’re MD considered your 46 too high, he has no credibility with me.
Please visit
[vitamindwiki.com]
August 10, 2021 05:11PM
He wasn’t concerned about the 46, (which was declining from the 108 the test before) he was concerned and told me to withhold the D at 108. When it went down to 46 during the next appointment he told me to resume at 1000iu. Now at 38 I’m back to 2000iu a day. Usually pre covid I would be tested every 3 months but I didn’t want to expose myself until I was vaccinated so I waited 9 months. Now I’m back to every 3 month labs.

Would you reduce D at 108?
August 10, 2021 06:10PM
I would reduce it only if it made you feel uncomfortable. But make sure you’re taking your vitamin K2.
If you were taking more than 5000 international units daily, I might reduce it slightly.

Regarding magnesium supplements, one should look at the back of the bottle.
If it says magnesium citrate or glycinate, … then the milligrams indicated are for the entire molecule not just the magnesium. The latter would usually be less than 20% or so of the total weight. Then you must further divide the amount by the number of capsules in a dose (usually 2).
If it says magnesium (as citrate or glycinate, …) or if it says elemental magnesium, the weight is good. But you still have to divide by the dosage.

Mg Bioavailability
August 10, 2021 06:24PM
I was never told to take K2. I’m on Eliquis. Will it affect clotting? What dose do you recommend?

I’m taking magnesium glycinate (Albion “tragacanth chelate) from omnibiotics.
August 10, 2021 07:06PM
Yes, I wouldn’t take any chances. No K2 for you
August 10, 2021 10:34PM
Yeah I have “black cloud syndrome”.

Went into 160s tachycardia an hour ago after taking 300mg magnesium swallowed with v8. It’s once a week now. It’s getting old. It finally self converted. I don’t need a supplement problem now.

Thanks PC for your but D advice.
August 11, 2021 02:42PM
Sorry to hear about your recurring problem with the unwanted visitor.
I presume that you have symptoms other than cardiac that might be due to magnesium deficiency and for which you take magnesium citrate.
Vitamin B6 is a required cofactor for about 120 enzymatic reactions that require magnesium (that we know of).
If you feel up to it, you might consider trying 50 to 100 mg of water soluble vitamin B6 during your next encounter with the unwanted visitor.
Perhaps you are a little low on B6, and what little you have gets consumed with other magnesium cofactor requiring reactions unrelated to your AF.
Just a thought.
August 11, 2021 02:55PM
I just read here about the EXA test and found I’m low. That’s why I’m taking it. Plus at the ER sometimes they give me a gram of magnesium IV and I feel better. The test determined how much magnesium to take.
August 12, 2021 09:11AM
Most people with AF would be on blood thinners. I’m also ta taking Vitamin K2 MenaQ7® As well as D3 and other supplements. Why would you say not to take K2?
August 14, 2021 07:28PM
If on an anti platelet type blood thinner, no problem.
If on a vitamin K antagonist (VKA), as was Susan, K2 blocks the VKA and vice versa.
October 24, 2021 04:48PM
Friends,

On vitamin K and blood thinners, specifically NOACs, I'd recommend checking this thread, where Carey writes, "Vitamin K in all its forms is utterly irrelevant to Eliquis and all the other DOACs (Xarelto, Pradaxa, etc)."

Best wishes,

Lance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login