Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NAC to be Regulated by Big Pharma?

Posted by ln108 
NAC to be Regulated by Big Pharma?
May 16, 2021 11:05AM
This morning I received an email newsletter from Dr. Alex Reinhart (reproduced below). He suggests that NAC (N-acetylcysteine) is currently being taken off the market by Amazon and perhaps other vendors. Indeed, I've just searched Amazon and it seems unavailable in any form.

This is confirmed by several postings by Natural Products Insider.

I notice also on Vitacost.com that NAC supplements, while visible, are all marked "temporarily unavailable."

I wonder if anyone has further insight into this situation. Do those who use NAC need to start hording?

Thanks! Lance

Dr. Rinehart's Weekend Update - NAC to be Regulated by Big Pharma?

Rarely do I put a high alert on something, but today is one of those days.

Recently I learned that Amazon has asked all vendors to remove ALL N-acetylcysteine (NAC) or NAC-containing products from their platform. . . .

The Big Tech involvement likely means that it will be a losing fight to keep NAC on retail shelves - and that existing supply will be challenged quickly in the coming weeks.

The reasoning is that they want to reclassify NAC as a drug based on its original use as a drug back in the 1960’s (ex/ it is used medically for Tylenol overdose).

There are a lot of flaws in the proposed changes: drug patents only last 30 years and the ingredient has been used as a supplement before the last major change in supplement regulation (DSHEA Act of 1994).

And, why almost 60 years later do they want to garner control back now?

Yet, with the rising control of Big Tech and Big Pharma over the economy and politics - it was only a matter of time until nutritional supplements became targeted - and, I can only help it ends with NAC, but time will tell.

It’s a controversial move - especially when NAC can be part of adjunctive care with COVID-19 - and has an extensive safety history as a supplement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2021 11:10AM by ln108.
Re: NAC to be Regulated by Big Pharma?
May 16, 2021 01:03PM
I just noticed this news too.

NAC definitely still available on canadian amazon. But I want powder form that is pure NAC with no fillers, excipients, etc. Canadian amazon doesn't have any. So I just ordered from this place in US - Bulk Supplements: [www.bulksupplements.com]

They said they will continue to sell their existing stock but then that's it. Maybe should have bought more. But I've never used it before. May not end up using this.

kim
May 16, 2021 01:05PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Personally, NAC is not on my list.

Why not? Curious. am just starting to read about NAC. And just ordered some powder. Also have some high-grade L-Glutathione for nebulizing if necessary.
May 16, 2021 01:16PM
May 15, 2021 - A story yesterday on the Mercola website says:

NAC Banned From Amazon, FDA Says It's Medication
Analysis by Dr. Joseph Mercola
May 15, 2021

Story at-a-glance

After sending warning letters to several manufacturers, the FDA invoked the Drug Exclusion Provision in U.S. code Title 21 to ban the sale of n-acetylcysteine (NAC)

According to one attorney, this is legally questionable and, according to counsel for the Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), for several reasons it is "legally invalid"

The FDA used this same tactic on supplements infringing on the financial gain of pharmaceutical companies and may have done the same with NAC since the supplement may effectively reduce the incidence of severe COVID-19

NAC has multiple health benefits as it reduces oxidative stress in the body, which plays a significant role in the development of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease, cancer, stroke, diabetes and liver disease

Full story here: [articles.mercola.com]
May 16, 2021 01:23PM
My husband takes it. Our dr (Harvard trained and also eastern medicine) has his holistic pharmacy in his office which he claims is pharmaceutical grade and sells it under his label. Thanks for the heads up.
May 16, 2021 01:33PM
susan.d
My husband takes it. Our dr (Harvard trained and also eastern medicine) has his holistic pharmacy in his office which he claims is pharmaceutical grade and sells it under his label. Thanks for the heads up.

Does your husband notice any particular benefit from it?
May 16, 2021 03:49PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Kim - 'Dual entry' aka endosomal and TMPRSS2 inhibition is the most effective and safest method of halting covid. It's what I used in November and have seen success in less than 48 hours for myself and many others. No need to kitchen sink what already works 100%.

How do you achieve endosomal and TMPRSS2 inhibition? What do you take?
May 16, 2021 09:21PM
May 17, 2021 12:00AM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
[www.afibbers.org]

Thanks for the link, NLAMA.
May 17, 2021 08:04AM
To the board,

As it appears NAC is being withdrawn as an over the counter supplement, any thoughts as to whether intake of a glutahione (GSH) supplement would achieve equal or better end results?
May 17, 2021 01:22PM
Hi Larry - I've been using a liposomal form of Glutathione... by Designs for Health...

Here's a couple clips from their Patient Ed data sheet on this form of GSH... Just FYI.

I can send you the formal Tech Data sheet if you'd like to see it. Send me a PM.

Jackie

What is Glutathione?
Glutathione is a crucial molecule synthesized inside every cell in the human body. It is composed of three amino acids (glutamine, cysteine and glycine), and is found in the highest levels in the liver, eyes, spleen, pancreas and kidneys.

Glutathione “wears many hats.” It is a key factor in the liver’s natural detoxification function, helping to bind heavy metals, neutralize toxins and support healthy immune function. It is also the single most protective antioxidant produced by the body and is therefore the most important for protecting cells against oxidative stress from dietary and environmental free radicals as well as those resulting from normal metabolic processes.

*Glutathione is critical for energy production and for proper functioning of the mitochondria, which are nicknamed the “powerhouses of the cell,” because they generate the majority of cellular energy. The body’s ability to make this all-important molecule declines with age—precisely when we need its protective properties the most.

What are Liposomes?
Liposomes are spheres made of phospholipids—the same primary building blocks of cell membranes. Owing to this structure, liposomes bond easily with cell membranes to deliver their nutrient cargo (in this case, glutathione). Liposomes are extremely tiny particles, which allows for fast absorption, starting in the mouth.

Why Liposomal Glutathione?
Oral glutathione supplements typically present challenges with regard to absorption and ability to sufficiently increase the body’s glutathione levels. Because it is made of amino acids, glutathione administered orally is subject to degradation in the GI tract. (Stomach acid could potentially render it inactive by denaturing it, the way it does naturally during the digestion of proteins.)

Glutathione delivered via liposomes bypasses degradation in the GI tract and is absorbed much more effectively and efficiently by the body.

Benefits of Liposomal Technology:
• Rapid uptake, starting in the mouth
• Effective, efficient absorption in the body
• Longer circulation in the body for effective nutrient delivery

Designs for Health and logo are trademarks of Designs for Health, Inc. © 2020 Designs for Health, Inc. All rights reserved
May 17, 2021 06:57PM
Jackie,

Thank you for the Liposomal recommendation. I will be reading on its benefits.

I am now ten years knowing of my permanent afib. It was early into the first year that I discovered this site and began to read the wealth of information you were sharing with those seeking. In many ways you became my mentor.

Will PM with you over the next couple days to say hello.

Larry
May 19, 2021 01:52PM
Thanks, Jackie (as always) for the helpful reference to liposomal glutathione as an alternative to NAC. I'm curious, however, about whether NAC has functions that glutathione might not have. I'm thinking in particular of NAC's important function as a biofillm disruptor for infections that are otherwise resistant to treatment. Articles on the topic nearly always mention NAC, but I don't readily find any references to glutathione in this respect.

See, e.g.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3957414/

https://kresserinstitute.com/biofilm-what-it-is-and-how-to-treat-it/

Best wishes, Lance
May 19, 2021 06:21PM
Hello Lance... Good observation... I'll start looking into the files I have on both and see if I can find something that helps clarify. Stay tuned.

Jackie
May 23, 2021 10:52PM
A run on NAC??? Not one brand on Wellevate is availabel
May 24, 2021 10:52AM
Percyfaith
A run on NAC??? Not one brand on Wellevate is availabel

I can believe it. People are panicking to get stocked up now that FDA has shut down NAC sales in US, claiming it's a medication not a supplement. I recently ordered some existing stock from Bulk Supplements in US. But they said once that is gone, they won't be selling more. Canada still has NAC, including Canada Amazon. So that's always an option. I wanted a very pure form for possible nebulizing. So I bought the powder from Bulk Supplements, which is nothing but pure NAC.
May 25, 2021 02:09PM
Lance - sorry for the delay... got sidetracked... FYI...

This is from the Patient Ed tech info from the professional 'bottler' of supplements, Designs for Health. on their NAC product .

Jackie

DESCRIPTION
N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) is an amino acid that is a precursor to glutathione, the body’s most powerful antioxidant. NAC is heavily researched in bronchial and lung disorders. It is also used for rapid recovery after workouts. NAC can be used in any cases where there is a need to rebuild the liver and promotes optimal detoxification.

N-Acetyl Cysteine™ (NAC) is an amino acid that is a precursor to glutathione, the body’s most powerful antioxidant which helps support liver function, detoxification, healthy lungs and muscle recovery.

Highlights

N-Acetyl Cysteine™ helps support:
• Healthy liver function
• Optimal detoxification
• Antioxidant maintenance
• Healthy lungs
• Post-workout muscle recovery

Liver Health – Manufactured by the liver, glutathione is a key compound used by the liver to help protect the body from
normal exposure to harmful substances, such as chemicals, pollutants and heavy metals. When glutathione levels are
low, the liver is vulnerable to damage from these toxins. Therefore, NAC assists the body in maintaining proper levels of
glutathione in order to help the natural detoxification process.

Lung Health – N-Acetyl Cysteine™ works to break up sulfide bonds
that are responsible for thickening mucus. By supporting healthy
mucus viscosity, NAC helps maintain normal breathing patterns and
supports healthy lung function.

Muscle Recovery – After a strenuous workout, damaging free radicals
abound as a natural result of vigorous muscle contractions. While
the master antioxidant, glutathione, diligently works to scavenge the
excess free radicals, NAC quickly rebuilds the body’s glutathione
supply. Therefore, NAC can support efficient muscle recovery after
workouts and periods of muscle exertion.

Recommended Use:
As a dietary supplement, take one capsule per day, or as directed by your health care practitioner

(Recommended Use: As a dietary supplement, take one capsule per day, or as directed by your health care practitioner.

1 capsule contains 900 mg N-Acetyl Cysteine™)

N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) is an amino acid that is a precursor to glutathione, the body’s most powerful antioxidant, which helps promote optimal detoxification. NAC is heavily researched for its role in optimizing lung health, and is also used for rapid recovery after workouts. It is also beneficial for protection against normal exposure to heavy metals.
May 25, 2021 02:27PM
Thanks so much, Jackie. This is helpful.
June 09, 2021 10:06AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login