Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Avoid Arsenic Poisoning, Do This Before Cooking Rice

Posted by afibbers 
Avoid Arsenic Poisoning, Do This Before Cooking Rice
May 02, 2017 10:21AM
Rice is super healthy but if not cooked properly, chemical poisoning could lead to chronic health problems.
[www.youtube.com]
I like the part about soaking it overnight.

Don't know if Oven Baked Rice removes the Arsenic, but this is the recipe below i use to cook brown rice.
Foolproof Oven Baked Brown Rice
[recipes.sparkpeople.com]
Sam
Re: Avoid Arsenic Poisoning, Do This Before Cooking Rice
May 02, 2017 11:25AM
The four steps for removing arsenic are:-
1) Soak overnight.
2) Rinse thoroughly under the tap before cooking.
3) Use plenty of water to boil it.
4) Rinse again with hot water before eating.

Sam

PS Your recipe will not remove as much arsenic as the above steps .
Sam
May 02, 2017 11:35AM
Just to amend what I wrote. The actual recipe you gave the link for, which doesn't mention my step 1, removes NONE of the arsenic.
May 02, 2017 02:29PM
White rice doesn't have the arsenic in it, i guess that is why the Chinese eat the white rice. i have always eaten brown rice but perhaps i will start eating the white.

liz
Sam
May 02, 2017 03:27PM
Actually white rice does contain arsenic but not as much as brown. It is, however, less nutritious than brown so using brown and removing the arsenic (or as much as possible - it can't all be removed) is the better option.

It's worth noting that many other foods also contain arsenic.
May 02, 2017 07:04PM
Hi Sam - thanks for posting this as a good reminder if you do eat rice... brown and white..

White rice grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas, which account for 76 percent of domestic rice, generally had higher levels of total arsenic and inorganic arsenic in our tests than rice samples from elsewhere.
[www.consumerreports.org]

[www.fda.gov]

[chriskresser.com]

Jackie
May 02, 2017 08:52PM
Looks like we have to look a little deeper into Brown Rice. Phytates and lectins besides the Arsenic.
White vs Brown Rice: Have you been lied to?
[morellifit.com]
The first digestion downfall is that brown rice has more phytates and lectins than white rice.
Phytates and lectins bind to vitamins and minerals and prevent your body from absorbing them.

[www.marksdailyapple.com]
Phytate, or phytin in rice, binds to minerals, rendering them largely useless to any animal that consumes it. Well, rats can break through the phytate and get at the minerals fairly well, but they evolved that ability – we did not. Heat does little to phytate, but, since it’s located in the bran, physically removing the bran removes the phytate. That’s why brown rice eaters tend to have poorer mineral balances than white rice eaters.

What are lectins?
Soak beans and legumes overnight, and change the water often. Drain and rinse again before cooking. Adding sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) to the soaking water may help neutralize the lectins further.
Will soaking Brown Rice in baking soda do the same as it does for beans?

How to Soak Brown Rice: This One Trick Removes Over 90% of the Phytic Acid
[www.cheeseslave.com]
Looks like this is a drop in the bucket of whats out there about Brown Rice and Beans
Phytates and lectins We need to see how these 2 effect AF, while we are @ it.
P.S. a lot of the websites suggest you soak them in your ice box.
May 02, 2017 10:11PM
It is said that tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants all have Lectins and we are to avoid them. I am posting this because you are talking about lectins in rice.

Well, pretty soon there won't be any "good" foods left to eat---I raise tomatoes, I make juice and sauce, I also eat them raw in season, I love them. I think a lot of these so called experts are saying all kinds of kooky things to get their names out there and make money. I quit listening to them.

Liz
May 03, 2017 09:03AM
With lectins, gluten, phytates, etc.... all can have various negative effects on health; just depends on how your body copes with the exposure. If not well, then there are many symptoms and the most significant is typically silent or systemic inflammation and the "trickle-down" effect of that leads to many adverse health complications.... a lot depends on genetics as to how much you'll be impacted.

Many symptoms go unrecognized as alerts and are, therefore, not linked back to food intake. That typically leads to the prescribing of various drugs to offset symptoms of the insult; often multiple drugs which bring on other side effect symptoms. Catch 22.

Here's an accurate, informative report by a highly regarded nutritionist, Krispin Sullivan, CN - as one example of the downstream effects of lectins:

[www.krispin.com]

Jackie
Re:Lectins
May 06, 2017 10:41AM
Continuing on the lectin comment.... All foods contain lectins. Lectins are part of plant physiology. They aren’t something dreamed up by ‘fringe’ doctors

Whether or not your biochemistry is sensitive is highly individualized but it's important to note that reactions to lectins can cause health issues such as auto-immunity, leaky gut syndrome, arthritis and other symptoms of silent inflammation.

Here's a link to extensive reporting on lectins and the potential adverse effects they can have on our health.

THE LECTIN REPORT

Krispin Sullivan, CN 03/31/17

While research in lectinology is in its infancy this information is critical to your health and it is important to begin to understand lectins NOW. Read the following report carefully. I'll get specific about how this all applies to you. ALL foods contain lectins. Some are your friends, others neutral, and others may be your enemies. Know your lectins. Avoid your enemies.

Lectins in plain English, do lectins cause disease?
What makes someone lectin intolerant?
What do lectins have to do with me?
How can I tell if I am lectin intolerant?

Continue: [www.krispin.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login