Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maybe we need to get out in the sun more

Posted by Adrian 
Maybe we need to get out in the sun more
February 28, 2015 12:17PM
Came across this article about vitamin D. Thought it might interest some.Health benefits of sunshine may be more than Vit D

Cheers

Adrian
Re: Maybe we need to get out in the sun more
March 01, 2015 09:46AM
Hi Adrian! No question… but sun is often limited in the winter months and cold weather makes sunbathing impossible. Krispin Sullivan, Certified Nutritionist, has often mentioned the importance of getting natural sun exposure on as much bare skin as possible for just limited amounts of exposure … enough to help accumulate vitamin D but not enough to cause UV damage to skin. She’s often quoted by her “naked at noon” advice in her book by that name.

We had a short thread on this topic in 2007…

[www.afibbers.org]

My experience is that as often commented by the vitamin D experts, as you age, your skin is less able to absorb and process the vitamin D from sunshine so supplementing becomes essential. When I was first tested, my 25 OH D level was 18… and that was at a time when I was an active golfer and gardener…out regularly in the sun without sunscreen. It took me years of high dose supplementing with vitamin D3 to get my level up to 70…

There are now many associated diseases linked to vitamin D deficiencies including dementia and Alzheimer's which is affecting increasingly large numbers of the population at younger ages than in the past.

The Internet is loaded with reports on the need for vitamin D and the consequences of deficiencies. Having the vitamin D test is very important and then supplementing at therapeutic doses is critical to making improvements.

Good to see you are still visiting the forum, Adrian.
Best to you,
Jackie
Re: Maybe we need to get out in the sun more
March 01, 2015 04:13PM
Hi Jackie, I remember those discussions and it prompted me at that time to start supplementing with Vit D3. The point of the article though is that although vitamin D is important it may not be the only benefit we get from sunshine. " Vitamin D deficiency is associated with many signs of ill health and diseases. These include low bone density and broken bones due to osteoporosis, muscle weakness, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular disease, colon cancer and an overall increased risk of dying prematurely. But studies of supplementation with this vitamin have not always shown beneficial effects on treating these conditions.."
further

"Another important potential effect of sunlight is UV-induced suppression of the body’s immune system. Solar radiation does this by altering the activity of the white cells involved in turning on the body’s defence mechanisms.

At first glance, this may seem to be a bad thing because it could increase the risk of infections and skin cancer. But it can also have a protective role in reducing inflammation and therefore help against some inflammatory diseases.

Its the UVA part of sunshine they are saying is beneficial as opposed to the yit D producing UVB, because it helps fight inflammation.

My recent trip to mexico was a perfect example of sunlight being beneficial for inflamation. I've been having trouble with my knees but they felt much better for the 2 weeks of laying about the beach and for weeks after we returned. It was glorious.

Cheers

Adrian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login