Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anti-inflamatories

Posted by Elizabeth 
Anti-inflamatories
December 17, 2014 09:19PM
l have been taking anti-inflammatory pills the last month, I am concerned about these pills causing heart problems, but what can I do? I have rotator cuff injuries in both shoulders. I also have pain in my groin, thighs, and lower back, I had an x-ray last week on my hip area and this is the result: There is an apparent stress fracture of the right sacrum and possible stress fracture of the left sacrum. My right hip demonstrates mild degenerative change with osteopenia, there is no fracture or dislocation. The left hip also demonstrates mild osteopenia with no fraction or dislocation.

Findings: findings consistent with a right sacral stress fracture and possible left sacral stress fracture.
Mild degenerative changes of the hips.

I am in so much pain with my shoulders and also it hurts when first getting up to walk, if I have mild changes, why do I have so much pain and problems. I am taking my report to my orthro. doc and see what he has to say, I think there is more going on.

Anyway, what can I do to get away from taking these drugs, they help somewhat, I take magnesium, Vit D, Vit K and also a tab. that contains a lot of vitamins for bones. I have tried a few exercises from a video and it made my arms worse---I am going for therapy tomorrow, I hope for the best.

If anyone has some advice or has gone through some of what I am going through, I would like to hear from you. I am feeling rather down, I have always worked hard and been able to do a lot, it hurts to put on my clothes/boots. The injury was due to my picking up a very heavy load, it was a dumb thing to do, but I never had any trouble before, altho, this was heavier then I usually pick up.

Liz
Re: Anti-inflamatories
December 18, 2014 08:19AM
Liz,

I'm so sorry you are having this problem. I hope others who know more about it will weigh in here, but I noticed you are trying to exercise so I wanted to just comment on that. I am not an expert but when I had a frozen shoulder a few years ago the best advice I had came from my yoga teacher, who told me not to exercise it into pain. ie do exercises but stop just at the point of pain and move within pain-free range of motion. I had been trying to force my shoulder to move far beyond what was painful. When I started taking her advice, my shoulder started to get better. I hope this helps in some way, and I do hope you get to the bottom of the pain and start to heal. It must be difficult for you to accept this restriction on your usual active life.

Marg
December 18, 2014 04:18PM
Hi Liz - I'm really sorry to read your ongoing woes and the fracture involvement. Keep in mind that a fracture takes time to heal. Bone pain can be intense. The anti-inflammatories can certainly help with some of the discomfort. What AI's are you taking? Consider some natural like curcumin and ginger...although the deep bone pain is just that and hard to mask without a formal pain medication.

Now that you know your bones are somewhat fragile, you can work on bone support nutrients to help build new, strong bone and also remember that it's very important to maintain an alkaline tissue pH so that your bones aren't weakened by the pulling of stored minerals in bones that are used to buffer an acidity. Consider making the WW concentrate to add to your drinking water... which hopefully is fluoride free since that also contributes to bone fragility.

Sending you an abundance of good thoughts and positive energy for speedy healing and recovery.

Jackie
December 19, 2014 08:52AM
Liz: One of the top anti-inflammatorys is Theracumin. Its been well studied and is considered safe. There are lots of cumin, (tumeric), supplements but the enhanced cumin has a much better absorption rate. There are several manufacturers of it, some with slightly different names.

[doctormurray.com]
[www.lef.org]

Gordon
December 19, 2014 08:18PM
Gordon:

I ordered curcumin from I Herb a few days ago, it is supposed to be good, so will try it and will bookmark your Urls.

Thanks.
Liz
December 19, 2014 08:32PM
I have a well, no fluoride, unless it is natural fluoride. About how long do you think a bone facture will heal, it can't be a very big fracture as it is on the sacrum, which is a small tail bone. I am taking aleive and sometimes motrim, I remember having a bone scan when I was in my fifties, I recall that they told me then that I had osteopenia, if that was true, 25 years later, I still have osteopenia and it is described as mild, so I must have been doing something right.

I am going to make an appt. with a orthro. doctor, the one I saw is an assistant to the doctors, he is not a doctor, makes me a little angry, I have wasted time. I have pain in the back of my thighs from about the knee to the top where my leg joins into my body, so what is that all about, and it feel tight, the assistant doc. thought I might have bursitis, which I may. I have always been very active and this is just about killing me.

Liz
Sam
December 20, 2014 02:51AM
The sacrum is actually quite a large bone. You're probably thinking of the coccyx which is referred to as the tailbone.

My sister suffers from osteoporosis and didn't get any benefit from the medicines her Doctor prescribed. I recommended Strontium (not to be confused with Strontium Ranelate which is the patented drug form and has numerous side-effects.}

Her last scan showed really good progress.

Sam
December 20, 2014 09:18AM
Hi Liz - Sorry that you didn't receive the answers or attention you expected with the doctor's visit; more than frustrating.. I understand the area you are describing and can visualize how the bone injury could produce the pain you are experiencing. This is a this is a time-related healing process. It's a nasty situation for you and I certainly appreciate that you are desperate for relief.

The sacrotuberous (cool smiley and sacrospinous (C) ligaments stabilize the lower part of the sacrum. They hold the lower sacrum to the bottom of the pelvis, attaching themselves to the ischia; the bone you¹re sitting on. Tears of these ligaments cause referred pain down the leg. This pain comes in many different patterns: down the anterior thigh, within the thigh, down the lateral lower leg, down the posterior the leg and so on.
[www.listentoyourpain.com]

In addition to the Aleve and Motrin... do you get any relief with alternating cold and hot packs?

Do you have access to a licensed massage therapist?

Have you considered trying a topical pain reliever for the leg pain... such as Biofreeze or BenGay? Sometimes that helps a bit. These are chemical compounds.. whereas I typically rely on natural Essential Oils from plants for muscle pain and find that Oil of Wintergreen and Peppermint penetrate and alleviate pain ...they penetrate deeply and quickly... you can apply frequently.

If want more detail on the natural essential oils, send me a PM and I'll give you some weblinks.

Jackie
December 21, 2014 08:52AM
Liz: My wife has similiar problems with lower back and leg pains. She has found pure emu oil to be of enough help to continue and has a physician prescirbed topical cream that actually does cut the pain enough to allow her to resume sleep in the middle of the night, the primary time those pains occur.

Its composed of ketoprofen, prioxicam and ketamine. The first two are NSAIDS and the ketamine is an NDMA receptor blocker so the brain doesn't feel as much pain. By applying it directly to where it's needed there is less absorbed in the rest of the body. It's quite inexpensive from a compounding phrmacy. She's had it for several years now.

Gordon
December 21, 2014 04:26PM
Ggheld:

Is that the same stuff that this guy on T.V advertises, he calls it Blue Emu, there are a lot of different Emu oils and creams on the market, is the one that your wife get from a compounding pharmacy stronger than what one can buy in the walmart etc.? I do have a compounding pharmacy from which I get a hormone cream, I will call and ask them about it tomorrow.

What is causing your wifes pain, does she have arthritis or did she hurt herself.
Li

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2014 04:29PM by Elizabeth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login