Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kale

Posted by Elizabeth 
Kale
July 14, 2014 04:34PM
I have a garden and planted some kale, it looked really good and I picked some last night, I washed it and chopped the Kale, added some olive oil to a sauté pan and put in the kale. I had a salad, roast/carrots and my kale. I was fine and after a few hours I went to bed, still felt fine, I woke up about an hour and a half later with stomach cramps (I rarely get those), I had diarreah, I was awoke for about 3 hours with cramps. I do use a liquid spray magnesium which I use every night, I have used this method for about 3 weeks, never had this kind of cramps. So, I have to say it was the Kale, this veggie is supposed to be a super veggie, well, I don't think I will eat it again, has anyone else had any problems with Kale?

Liz
Re: Kale
July 14, 2014 05:41PM
Cautions:

Too much vitamin K can cause problems for anyone taking anticoagulants such as warfarin because the high level of vitamin K may interfere with the drugs. Consult your doctor before adding kale to your diet if you are on this type of medication.

Kale and Oxalates. Kale contains oxalates that interfere with the absorption of calcium. There is much controversy about this.

Goitrogenic Food? Contrary to popular belief, latest studies show that kale is not goitrogenic. In fact, most foods that are commonly called goitrogenic (kale, broccoli and cauliflower) as well as soy-based foods do not interfere with thyroid function in healthy persons even when they are consumed on a daily basis. Again this is controversial.

Read more: [www.care2.com]

The Problem:

1. Oxalic acid binds with some nutrients, making them inaccessible to the body. To eat large amounts of high oxalic foods over a period of weeks to months may result in nutritional deficiencies, most notably of calcium.

2. Oxalic acid is associated with the formation of kidney stones. If you have kidney problems, your doctor may advise you against eating foods with high levels.

3. Oxalic acid poisoning symptoms include weakness, burning in the mouth, cardiovascular collapse, burning in the throat, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, and coma.

4. Individuals with gout, rheumatoid arthritis, or certain forms of chronic vulvar pain are advised to avoid foods high in oxalic acid or oxalates.

Read more: [www.care2.com]

Do a search on kale benefits and side effects Lots to look through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 05:48PM by Todd.
July 14, 2014 11:14PM
Thanks Todd. Spinach has oxalic acid, I eat that without any problems----I do not take a blood thinner, my blood seems to be on the thin side, my C-Reactive protein and my Fibrinogen are good. I don't know if having low platelets are helpful, my platelets test around 136. lab range is 140--400 thousand/ul

There are posts that kale can cause some stomach problems, so maybe it isn't for me.

liz
July 15, 2014 08:36AM
Do a search on Kale Chips dehydrated kale chips
I've been wanting to make some for awhile.
Never made or tasted them.
Being baked may make them more agreeable with you.
July 15, 2014 07:48PM
A couple of years ago, I posted a tasty recipe on Baked Kale.
[www.afibbers.org]

Cooking Kale removes the concerns over goitrogens. However it is in the brassica family and people sensitive to brassicas often have symptoms of stomach distress, diarrhea and heartburn so must avoid.

When I bake Kale I use a very minor amount of oil... and often, I don't use any at all. I love the leaves to be dry and crunchy.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login