Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Eating Wheat at the Root of Your Depression?

Posted by Todd 
Is Eating Wheat at the Root of Your Depression?
May 20, 2014 04:05PM
This could be in there with the Brain Allergies.

[www.greenmedinfo.com]
Re: Is Eating Wheat at the Root of Your Depression?
May 21, 2014 03:24PM
The pioneers that went West settled and grew grains for their cattle and themselves, they baked their own breads, they were a hardy, strong minded people. The Mexicans grew corn, which was their staple.

I think Greenmed has too much time on their hands, the problem with people today is that they eat junk, sodas, lots of surgery treats, smoke dope, it isn't wheat that is causing brain fog it is junk food and other bad habits.

Liz
May 22, 2014 12:52AM
You may have missed this last year.
Gluten-Intolerants an American Problem !
[www.afibbers.org]
Hybrid and GMO was not part of the pioneers diets.
May 22, 2014 09:16AM
Thanks Todd - Of course the altering of grains is a key factor... and also consider the content of Dr. Mercola's comments today emphasizing the need to stay away from starchy carbs and links that to setting the stage for Alzheimer's.

Be sure to watch Dr. Perlmutter's video clip that's included

Eating This Can Lay Out the Red Carpet for Alzheimer's
When you eat this, you are paving the way for Alzheimer's disease, says this leading neurologist. Plus: the forbidden food you should stop avoiding that may be responsible for disease rates soaring over recent decades...

Alzheimer’s Disease—Yes, It’s Preventable!
May 22, 2014
[articles.mercola.com]

Summary Statement:

Preventing Alzheimer's Is Possible

According to Dr. David Perlmutter, fat avoidance and carbohydrate overconsumption are at the heart of the Alzheimer's epidemic. To learn more about how you can protect your brain health by eliminating non-vegetable carbs from your diet, I highly recommend reading his book, Grain Brain. In order to reverse the Alzheimer's trend, we simply must relearn how to eat for optimal health. Processed "convenience foods" are quite literally killing us, inducing diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and dementia.

The beauty of following my optimized nutrition plan is that it helps prevent and treat virtually ALL chronic degenerative diseases, including diabetes, heart disease, and Alzheimer's. Other lifestyle factors, particularly sun exposure and exercise, are also potent allies against all forms of dementia. Ideally, you'll want to carefully review the suggested guidelines above, and take steps to incorporate as many of them as you can into your daily lifestyle. The sooner you begin, the better, considering that one in nine Americans over the age of 65 end up with Alzheimer's.

Jackie
May 22, 2014 02:29PM
It is a good idea to research some of these doctors that Jackie wants us to believe in:

[usaconsumercomplaints.com]

I remember not too many years ago eggs were bad, fats were bad, meat was bad, now they are good for you----now we have grains as being bad, oh yes, especially GMO foods, well in a few years we will see.

Liz
May 22, 2014 10:35PM
I've never really been scared of eggs. I easily go through a dozen a week. In my early 20's / about 1979ish when i started getting into the health food thing, one of the 1st books by Carey Reams The Curse Causeless. I think it was in that book where he said adding salt to your eggs, caused the cholestrol to clogg up your arteries.
Cayenne Pepper is my choice. I use it like a salt aholic uses salt.
I just searched for Carey Reams book, and its still around , in pdf for free.
[www.biri.org]
He was into using lemons to cleanse out just about everything. And could test your urine, and tell all kinds of stuff about you.
I not going to say that everything he did was the gospel. He didn't live to that supposedly genetic age of 125 yrs, that all humans are suppose to live to.
Google Carey Reams. Theres probably more free pdf's of his out there.
May 23, 2014 05:09PM
Ummm, Reams was a rather strange dude, lived until 84, I know a guy that ate whatever he wanted, smoked cigars all the time and didn't do any exercises, he lived until the age of 80.

Liz
May 23, 2014 06:49PM
By all means, check out Dr. Perlmutter's credentials... especially with the contribution he makes to the Institute of Functional Medicine. I didn't "recommend him"... but rather he was quoted in the Mercola post since neurologists typically see dementia and Alzheimer's patients... now developing at a rapid pace with the aging population.

Here's a start:

DAVID PERLMUTTER, MD, FACN is a board-certified Neurologist and Fellow of the American College of Nutrition. He received his MD degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine where he was awarded the Leonard G. Rowntree Research Award. After completing residency training in Neurology, also at the University of Miami, Dr. Perlmutter entered private practice in Naples, Florida where he serves as Medical Director of the Perlmutter Health Center and the Perlmutter Hyperbaric Center. He received the Linus Pauling Functional Medicine Award in 2002. He is recognized internationally as a leader in the field of nutritional influences in neurological disorders.

[www.functionalmedicine.org]

[www.perlhealth.com]

[www.drperlmutter.com]
May 26, 2014 09:00AM
Ah, yes. Good old Dr. Mercola and his hype = money machine:

[www.quackwatch.com]

And, is avoiding carbs really a magic bullet cure for everything?

[www.foodnavigator-usa.com]

Gordon
May 26, 2014 02:34PM
The paleo diet is always noted as being what our ancestors ate, but really:

Despite its name, the Paleo Diet is a new food trend, one which has become increasingly popular in recent years. The diet’s basic tenet is that our bodies haven’t yet evolved to cope with the changes to our food intake as a result of agriculture. Paleo Diet aficionados hold that grains like wheat are making us fat and unhealthy, and that we would be far better off if we ate how our ancient ancestors did, focusing on lean meats, fruits and vegetables.

What researchers haven’t been able to answer, however, is exactly what our ancestors ate. Early humans and our other hominin predecessors lived pretty much everywhere, in environments as diverse as the Arctic, tropical rainforests and deserts, and so its likely that diet varied by region. Even within a given region, reconstructions of diet have had to rely on tooth analysis or bones found nearby.

A quartet of papers published today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences have instead turned to stable isotope analysis, which analyzes the specific chemical signature of molecules, to determine the diets of a variety of ancient hominin species by looking at their fossilized teeth. The findings show that human ancestors started moving away from the traditional ape diet of fruit and leaves about 2.5 million years ago—much earlier than previously thought. Thus, even our “paleo” ancestors may never have eaten a paleo diet.

[blogs.discovermagazine.com]
June 23, 2014 12:29PM
[www.foodnavigator-usa.com]

Interesting, the third comment to that article says it all. You have to ask yourself, who is the person with an agenda here? Dr. Perlmutter or Julie Miller-Jones?

Marg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 12:30PM by Marg.
June 23, 2014 03:38PM
[online.wsj.com]

This is another article about wheat, I have seen Dr. Perlmutter on T.V. hyping his book, saying that wheat is bad, I think he is just making money and he is another passing looney tune.

Dr. Oz is another T.V. doctor that is hyping certain diet pills that he says will help you lose weight, he was before Congress last week and admits that only diet and exercise will lead to weight loss, that he was used by the sponsors of those coffee diet pills.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 03:39PM by Elizabeth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login