Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

juicing

Posted by gary 
gary
juicing
June 12, 2012 05:53AM
HI All.
recently bought a good juicing presser. Ive been doing mainly beetroot,carrot, cellery and apple. trying to reduce my ectopics and blood pressure, which is very up and down, sometimes 155/95 sometimes 112/72, i seem to be sensitive to salt suddenly and alcohol, though i might have been in denial bout the alcohol for some time.
AF very rarely these days. had ablation 5 years ago and after fairly frequent short runs for 2 years, usually stopped by 100mg flecainide, its gradually decreased to undetectable and no flecainide now for over 2 years.
so any advice re some good huice combinations?
gary.
dennis
Re: juicing
June 12, 2012 10:07AM
Gary, The wife and I have been having the following for the last couple of years or so.
Mostly all organic kale or collard greens,or spinach, or a combo of each+ apple + carrot + avacado + tomato + fresh ginger + juice of one lemon, Sometimes she adds blueberries or a splash of tart cherry juice. We often substitute slightly cooked cauliflower/broccolli, parsley etc for the greens. I add a little less than a 1/4 teaspoon of K+ bicarbonate and a smaller amount of taurine because of the AF. We believe this concoction has contributed to our good health and it is part of my protocol that is sucessfully pushing back the frequency of my af episodes. Enjoy, Dennis
June 12, 2012 10:26AM
Highly recommend googling both Low Sodium V8 and Mott's Garden Cocktail recipes online. We bought a great juicer/blender but the thing smells like it is going to catch fire and we are in the midst of returning it and replacing it with a Vitamix or something... in the meantime we are drinking the aforementioned... the Mott's is a bit 'peppery' and is great during the day or at dinner while the LS V8 is a good breakfast drink instead of coffee.

Took my wife and daughter to "High Tea" yesterday at a very, very nice place in the heart of the city on a waterfall..... think I took in too much salt in the process but prepared for it by taking in a beer cup of LS V8 and a couple of teaspoons of Potassium Gluconate powder in Seltzer Water (Polar). Not so much as a 'blip' on the radar. Potassium works well for me keeping the 4:1 ratio or better with the evil salt. And everything seems to have salt these days if you are not careful.

Can't wait to get the juicer/blender back.... it was fantastic although some of the concoctions I came up with were positively rancid... for the most part it gave me the opportunity to make smoothies that were healthy and effective in preventing aFib breakthrough of any sort.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
June 12, 2012 09:57PM
Fresh oranges, peeled of course, plain or maybe mixed with fresh ripe pineapple. Also, fuji apples, organic carrots and anything else that is organic. Unfortunately, it gets expensive buying all the organic stuff but it's probably way better for you. I use an Omega low rpm juicer that crushes the veggies and fruits. The high speed blender types generate too much heat during the chopping process and destroy a lot of the nutrients and you can't store the juice for more than 24 hours.
Anonymous User
June 13, 2012 05:07AM
This thread strikes me as belonging in the afib cookbook, so now it is.

Peggy M
June 13, 2012 09:43AM
Gary - It's tempting to use a lot of fruit with juicing, but if you are an active afibber, go easy on the fruit and the high carb from the fruit sugar (fructose) as it requires using stored magnesium and potassium for insulin production. Small amounts of fruit added for "flavor" are fine. Use lemon, lime and ginger for flavor and low carb content. All the veggies are wonderful.... fruit, not so much even though they taste great.

Organic, always, and washed very carefully as well. Raw foods are very healthy and nutritious. Just don't 'over-process.'

Jackie
June 13, 2012 04:19PM
Jackie,

I have to say the issues around consuming fruit have me concerned as most of my Potassium intake if from fruit and to lesser extent vegetables. I tend to eat on a daily basis on average 3 fruits (Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Plums etc) and clearly i need to try and exchange these for increased vegetable intake.
June 13, 2012 09:12PM
Hey there, folks. Want to get in on some juicing. Never tried it, but have read about the bennies.

Any recommendations on a machine?

TIA.

(I'm in the USA.)
gary
June 14, 2012 06:42AM
hi
i invested in an auger presser. they preserve the nutrient content that centrifugal juicers deplete via oxidation. the auger pressers rotate at about 70 per minute and presses the juice out of things rather than grating and centrifuging it. the pressing juicers are more expensive but worth it. they are also very easy to clean which is a great motivator. years ago i had a centrifugal one and it was such a pain to clean i soon got tired of using it. the one i have is ? i think called on omni juicer? cant recall as im at work. its an upright one ie it uses gravity to feed the chopped veg, leaves, fruit etc into ints pressing mechanism. they cost more but believe me they are worth it. its so easy to clean its done in 3 mins and ready for the next day. i juice about 1 litre at a time and put in fridge as its nutrients last up to 18 hours that way. the centifuger juice has no shelf life at all and all has to be consumed immediately. the presser cost mme about £320.00 a year ago. not sure what that is in dollars but really worth every penny. hope this helps.
gary
June 14, 2012 10:50AM
I bought the Jack La Lanne power juicer several months ago after researching other more expensive ones. It was just under $100 and can be found at Walmart, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond. It works fine for me considering I couldn't afford the more expensive models. Its tempting to use fruit alot but I discovered if you use just a half apple or small chunk of pineapple with mostly vegetables and greens like kale, it tastes great. This mornings juice was kale, beet, spinach, carrot, and pineapple.
June 16, 2012 01:24PM
I am in my 70's and have been juicing for many years. I have a Green Star juicer (the cheapest model) and its great. I juice every morning before I eat anything. I juice kale/parsley/chard/celery/carrots/apple and sometimes some other veggies like cucumber. I juice a serving for the afternoon and put it in a small mason jar filled to the top so that it won't oxidise (I do not recommend keeping juice longer than 12 hours). anneh
June 17, 2012 03:53PM
Thanks everybody.

I enjoy fruit juices with the pulp. Will I be able to still consume the pulp of some of the veggies and fruits?
June 17, 2012 05:56PM
Larry,

Many juicers remove all the pulp, but it is still there to be cleaned out of the machine. Just take some and put it in the resulting juice. Easy Peasy! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out In some machines, there are large pieces, but it a lot of them it is "pulp". Even In the machines that leave large pieces, there is a fair amount of small stuff. What is left over is great for compost.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
June 19, 2012 09:00AM
The pulp is fiber and highly beneficial..almost no one consumes enough fiber... 25 + grams daily.....that's why it's encouraged to use a blender type that uses the entire veggie or fruit. Adding the pulp back in if you can is a healthy practice.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login