Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New FDA Statin Labeling Rules Ignore Hundreds of Side Effects

Posted by Jackie 
New FDA Statin Labeling Rules Ignore Hundreds of Side Effects
March 10, 2012 02:18PM
The latest news about statins causing diabetes, isn’t really news at all, but the FDA likes to “stay on top” of things to make us feel as if we they have our best interests at heart and we are “protected” from harmful drugs.

We should be smarter than the FDA in making the connection…. If you take a statin… read on. If you don’t, never start using them no matter how much pressure you receive. There are better options without side effects. And remember, cholesterol is not the enemy.

NEW FDA STATIN LABELING RULES IGNORE HUNDREDS OF SIDE EFFECTS
March 5th, 2012
FDA Ignores Links Between Statins and Over 300 Health Conditions

Are statin drugs leading to more problems than just diabetes and memory loss as the FDA says?
Following on the heels of the FDA announcing changes to the safety information on statin labels (e.g. Pfizer Inc's Lipitor, AstraZeneca's Crestor and Merck & Co's Zocor) concerning blood sugar and memory problems, a collection of consumer health groups, such as Natural Society, are raising public awareness about the hundreds of additional adverse health effects associated with their use as indicated by the published research from the National Library of Medicine.

A growing body of clinical research now indicates that this cholesterol-lowering class of drugs is associated with an alarming number of serious medical conditions -- research boldly flying in the face of national health policy, medical insurance premium guidelines, statin drug manufacturer advertising claims, and the general sentiment of the public, with approximately 1 in every 4 adult Americans over 45 currently using these drugs to "prevent heart disease."

Fundamentally, the research indicates that statin drugs damage the muscles and nerves in the body. There are well over 100 studies demonstrating the myotoxic, or muscle-harming effects of these drugs, and over 80 demonstrating the nerve-damaging effects. Since the heart is such a vital muscle innervated by a complex network of nerves, many healthcare providers now seriously question whether the unintended, unwanted side effects of statins are worse than the purported "cardiovascular" benefits they provide. Therefore, these peer reviewed research studies may also explain why rates of heart failure may be increasing in the general population who are given these drugs.

While the discovery that statin drugs, instead of preventing heart disease likely contributes to it, might be surprising; it should not distract from the more disturbing discovery that they contribute to over 300 disease and/or adverse health effects. Fortunately research has found that many of the statin-linked diseases, like diabetes, can be combated with natural substances like vitamin D.

In light of these findings, many health professionals are now asking: Are those who are party to the manufacture, promotion, administration and/or prescribing of this chemical class of drugs, in violation of the medical ethical principle of informed consent?
[www.naturalsolutionsmag.com]

Some time ago, Duane Graveline, MD, known as Spacedoc, wrote about this warning so this is not ‘new’ news.

[www.spacedoc.com]

[www.spacedoc.com]
Jackie: And indeed he did update his stand again on his Newsletter dated today:

Spacedoc Newsletter <[email protected]>

Gordon
Thank you Jackie - I guess - it was painful reading thru it - you know what I think about $t@t!n$!

Lisa quotes Shannon saying medicine is looking down the wrong end of the gun barrel. "Medicine" has the gun pointed exactly where the BUSINESS end wants it. A sick patient is a profitable patient. That's not cynical, that's their reality!

Ere Long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2012 11:01PM by Erling.
The Cholesterol Paradigm: The Greatest Health Scam of The Century.
An interview with Sheldon Zerden, Part 1
By Richard A. Passwater, Ph.D. December 2009
[www.drpasswater.com]

The Cholesterol Paradigm: Beware of the Side Effects of Anti-cholesterol Drugs
An Interview with Sheldon Zerden, Part 2
By Richard A. Passwater, Ph.D. January 2010
[www.drpasswater.com]

Excerpt:

Passwater: Dr. Graveline has an excellent Web site on statin side effects [www.spacedoc.com]. He points out that when a statin lowers blood cholesterol, it is, at the same time, reducing the synthesis of coenzyme Q10, dolichols, selenoproteins, Rho, glutathione and normal phosphorylation by a similar amount. This is the cause of the thousands of side effect reports largely unknown to the medical community. He has written three books on the side effects of statin drugs.

Zerden: Dr. M.F. Muldoon finds that some cognitive deterioration can be found in most statin users (23). Coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone) levels plummet when statins are initiated. Neuropeptide formation is damaged by statin use, which is responsible for depression, irritability, hostility, aggressiveness, road rage behavior, accidents and suicides.

Passwater: Wow! Several scientists and physicians have emphasized in my columns many times over the years that anyone taking statins should also take coenzyme Q10 supplements. But, are statins really necessary in the first place?

Zerden: The forces of greed have ignored the science that argues against the use of statin drugs. A major study published in The Lancet by Drs. John Abramson and Jonathan Wright offers the following conclusion: “We have pooled the data from eight randomized trials that compared statins with a placebo in primary prevention populations at increased risk (24). Our analysis suggests that lipid-lowering statins should not be prescribed for true primary prevention in women of any age or for men older than 69 years. High-risk men aged 30–69 years should be advised that about 50 patients need to be treated for five years to prevent one event (heart attack). In our experience, many men presented with this evidence do not choose to take a statin.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2012 01:25PM by Erling.
Re: New FDA Statin Labeling Rules Ignore Hundreds of Side Effects
March 11, 2012 05:39PM
Thank you Jackie and Erling for continuing to bring this up. Both my mom and brother almost died due to statins, so this is a sore subject for me. Now, if I could just convince my husband to quit taking them.

Erling, That is exactly what I felt Shannon was saying. I've always thought this.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
Re: New FDA Statin Labeling Rules Ignore Hundreds of Side Effects
March 11, 2012 06:58PM
Lisa - Since I was damaged by statins years ago and still suffer the consequences... (just being a compliant patient... following what the doctor wanted.. a 'sheeple'), I continue to be outraged at the push for everyone to be on statins regardless of the adverse effects or whether statins are really effective or actually needed. I vowed I'd continue to increase awareness and now I'm even getting help from unexpected sources.

The FDA's observation of increased risk of diabetes has been mentioned in discussions about the importance of monitoring
Hemoglobin AlC... which is an average measurement of how your body controls blood sugar over a 2 -3 month period and is considered
an important marker for cardiovascular disease and of course, your glucose handling efficiency.

Those taking statins should regularly monitor A1C and it's good for everyone to know a couple times a year just to be sure. You'll undoubtedly have to ask for it as it isn't yet considered an important 'routine' test.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login