Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Egg Consumption Sharply Increases Prostate Cancer Risk

Posted by Jackie 
Egg Consumption Sharply Increases Prostate Cancer Risk
February 03, 2012 09:45AM
Life Extension and Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) have both issued news clips reporting that
Egg Consumption Sharply Increases Prostate Cancer Risk.

Recent study published in journal Cancer Prevention Research…followed 27,607 men from ’94 – ’08 who had no cancer at the start of the study. They found that men who ate 2.5 eggs or more a week had an 81% higher risk of developing lethal prostate cancer compared to men who ate fwer than .05 eggs a week on average.

This is not the first study to associate egg consumption with increased cancer risk, they report.

LEF says: Eggs are a rich source of arachidonic acid. High dietary intake of arachidonic acid induces formation of 5-LOX and COX-2 enzymes, both that promote tumor formation and progression. LEF has previously reported about how arachidonic acid causes prostate cancer.

Curcumin, fish oil and the highly absorbable form of boswellia extract helps impede conversion of arachidonic acid to leukotriene B4 via 5-LOX. Aspirin and other nutrients like gamma tocopherol impede COX-2.

PRCM comments that for men who already had prostate cancer, eating poultry and processed red meat increased the risk of death.,

Source: Richman EL, Kenfield SA, Stampfer MJ, Giovannucci EL, Chan JM Egg, red meat and poultry intake and risk of lethal prostate cancer in the prostate specific antigen-era: incidence and survival. Cancer Prev Res. 2011;4:1-12.

PCRM – Winter 2012 issue Good Medicine
LEF January/Feb 2012
Here is the abstract from the study: [cancerpreventionresearch.aacrjournals.org]

Here is an analysis of the study by an NHS author (UK) published by PubMed: [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

My own take is that the results are subject to question. The total deaths, 199, is a small percentage of the total cohort, 27607. In addition, "men who consumed more red meat or eggs tended to exercise less and have a higher BMI, and were more likely to smoke and have a family history of prostate cancer."
Re: Egg Consumption Sharply Increases Prostate Cancer Risk
February 03, 2012 04:00PM
George - I'm sure you do take exception with your high daily consumption of eggs.

As with all studies, I take them with a grain of salt... but it's still worth mentioning the caution since the fact about arachidonic acid as undesirable is valid.

You're so active, you probably burn off everything anyway, but sedentary people may have adverse effects.

Jackie
Hi Jackie,

Well, if it was a big concern, I'd acquire Type II diabetes as those with this condition apparently have a lower risk of prostate cancer [scarcasm]. Perhaps because they have lower serum testosterone. Of course, they have a higher risk of 24 other cancers, not to mention heart and kidney disease... [insciences.org].

In general lipids can be harmful in a high insulin environment while in a low insulin environment, they are benign.

It would be nice if the abstracts had more data details on absolute rather than just relative risks. So much of what you read in the literature are increases in relative risks, however the absolute risks are minicule.

Thanks for all the information you share [sincerely]!

George
I guess my 1/2 can Salmon and 2 Eggs 3 or 4 times a week will do me in :-) Lots of Cayenne Pepper. NO SALT. Breakfast.
What else are they adding to the eggs ? Probably lots of salt and black pepper and hydrygenated oil to cook it in.
If eggs can cause prostrate cancer, then why don't young men who eat eggs develop prostrate cancer, usually it is older men. My husban ate 2 eggs every monring for most of his life, he didn't have prostrate cancer but he did have diabetes, he was too heavy and sedentary and liked too many cookies.
February 07, 2012 11:35PM
Hi, Liz,

I think you answered your own question. :-)

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
Lisa:

Not really, according to what I wrote then it isn't eggs, it is age, right?
February 09, 2012 12:11AM
Liz,

The cumulative effects of darn-near any behavior over a lifetime have a great effect. If a person is predisposed to a particular thing, then the longer a detrimental behavior goes on, the more likely it will be a problem.

In your particular example, your husband doesn't appear to be in the percentage of men who by eating eggs will develop prostate cancer (note the article doesn't say that if you eat 2.5 eggs a week you will get prostate cancer--it only says an increased risk). However, by his diet and activity level, over the years, he developed diabetes.

So in a way, you are correct. The young don't get most anything, but the older one gets, the more [any] disease shows up. This is a broad generalization. Of course the young get disease as well, but rarely is it because of environmental accumulation.

Paraphrasing Bette Davis: This gettin' old $..+ ain't for sissies. tongue sticking out smiley

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
February 09, 2012 06:05AM
A Goggle search of "Do eggs cause prostate cancer" reveals serious doubts about this study.

From Sam - the site has changed my name!

Sam
February 09, 2012 09:49AM
The study may be suspect but as I responded to George, the AA to EPA ratio is not suspect and should be a consideration for all.
High AA levels are damaging. Each individual has different metabolic results.
Could it be the side effects of GMO corn fed chickens ? I may do a search on that when i get a chance.
Speaking of GMO.
Monsanto's own cafeteria says No GMO foods
[www.soapoperapolitics.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login