Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mercury toxicity

Posted by Mike Harris 
Mike Harris
Mercury toxicity
January 24, 2012 01:17PM
The below quote is a brief summary of what is, without any doubt, the stupidest law ever foisted upon the American public. Mercury is a powerful neurotoxin, harmful to not only cardiac function, but to pretty much every organ in the body, and this law is inevitably going to massively increase the environmental burden of this deadly element, due to the disposal-problems it will create.

"The phase out of incandescent bulbs began on January 01, 2012. Congress has mandated that the 100 watt bulb can no longer be manufactured in the United States or imported; however, they can be sold until stocks run out.

The same scenario will follow for the 75 watt bulb January1, 2013 followed by the 40 and 60 watt bulbs January 01, 2014.

If you replace your bulbs with the compact fluorescent lights, be careful. These contain mercury. If you break one in your home or business, it's a big problem. You cannot dispose of these in the trash. It is best to return them to Home Depot or Loews for proper hazardous waste disposal (or contact your local government agency in charge of hazardous waste disposal). This mandate by Congress may cause a huge ecological problem!

LED's are a better lighting alternative."
Re: Mercury toxicity
January 24, 2012 03:17PM
Mike - I agree totally... how much do you want to bet they will end up in the trash regardless? I can't imagine that anyone will be able to police that unless there is a trash/dump accident in front of a home and out rolls a spent CFL. When I was talking up this stupidity some time back, many people were unaware that if you break one in your home, you are in big trouble... cleanup wise with the contamination risk. I refuse to buy a CFL.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login