Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Genetics and Afib

Posted by Jackie 
Genetics and Afib
November 03, 2011 04:02AM
In his prolific postings on Epigenetics, Erling has offered many important quotes from the writings of Epigenetic expert, Bruce Lipton, PhD (The Biology of Belief). It might be that most of our readers haven’t bothered to get into this relatively new science since very often people mention their familial history as part of their afib dilemma.

For those afibbers who may not be familiar with the term, Epigenetics, or the thinking that says, “our genes are not our destiny”… the following comments from a teleconference on the topic of “Epigenetics: The Study of Changes in Gene Function that Occur Without a Change in the DNA Sequence, discusses the influence of thought, nutrition, stress and environment on your genetic code and how not to be defined by your DNA., may be useful.

While there may be may links to and genes identified with atrial fibrillation, it is not a given that the lineage has to continue. We do have the power to change the gene expression (Epigenetics) and while this is not new, it is definitely important to gain a working knowledge of what this means…not only for afib, but diabetes, hypertension, cancer and more.

Quotes & Excerpts

Epigenetics is a way we can reprogram our genes much like a computer which can be reprogrammed without changing any of the hardware. You can upgrade your computer but you don’t have to swap out the hard drive.

We now know the epigenome is changeable. Epigenetics is any change in gene expression that has been caused by a means other than the underlying DNA. The DNA stays the same (the genome) but the Epigenome is what we can effect or change with nutrients, food, our environment, chemicals, medications, and so on.

There is some confusion about the phenotype expression connection. Phenotype typically refers to color of hair, eyes which are more set in stone; but then epigenitcally, consider a set of set of identical twins and ask how can one twin get heart disease and the other get cancer when they have identical genes-- so their phenotypic expression…(the heart disease or cancer) was mediated by their epigenetics or their epigenome.

People still seem to have the idea that their genes are their fate…ie, if every male in their lineage has had a heart attack in their forties or they all died of cancer (or have atrial fibrillation – my comment), many have the fatalistic opinion that those are the genes or the cards I was dealt. Using the card analogy, we can be dealt a strong hand or a weak hand and we still have to play the cards and we can still win with a weak hand and we can lose from the strong hand. It seems that much of the general public does not understand how lifestyle choices, dietary choices and stress levels all play a role.

So how can our understanding of Epigenetics actually impact our life and our and outcomes?

DNA is still the big player in town but we now know it is not the only mechanism of inheritance. We can actually change what happens to our children and grandchildren. The more scientists look at how the genes work, the more they realize there is a lot more going on that what was previously thought, so the epigenetic changes are actually contributing to some of these disease processes. Example: diabetes and lifestyle-induced diseases that we are seeing escalate in our practices that are burdening the healthcare system. A lot of these are physiologic mechanisms that are occurring via epigenetic mechanisms in genes in our cells down-regulating certain proteins that lead to downstream consequences.

What’s interesting and what Epigenetics means is that people can actually begin to feel empowered again. Through choices that people make, diet, nutrition, lifestyle, environmental awareness, looking for environmental toxicities – all with an attempt to promote health, but on a much deeper level…really looking to protect our genome.

So this throws out the window the excuse that ‘my parents were diabetic’, or my parents were fat. So guess what? That not need be your fate. Certainly if you do the same things your parents did to express their phenotypic genome, you can expect the same. But if you understand you can change it through the diet, lifestyle, stress reduction methods, you aren’t caught up in this mind-set that ‘my genes are my destiny.’ And you can actually play a role in the outcome so it is a very powerful concept in that respect. These are modifiable factors everyone can change every day in their life by making the appropriate choices.
End quotes

Bottom line:
It’s time to catch up with the science about how you are in control and your genes do not have to be your destiny.

Jackie

Source: Teleconference with
David M. Brady, ND, DC, CCN, DACBN
Bronner Handwerger, ND
8/25/11
Courtesy Designs for Health
Suffield, CT

Reading list

The Biology of Belief
Bruce H. Lipton, PhD
[www.amazon.com]

The website of Garry Gordon MD,DO,MD(H) has offered for years insight to his personal experience with Epigenetics.
Garry F. Gordon MD,DO,MD(H)
President, Gordon Research Institute

<[www.afibbers.org]>
<[www.afibbers.org]>
<[www.afibbers.org]>
<[www.afibbers.org]>
<[www.afibbers.org]>
<[www.afibbers.org]>
[www.afibbers.org]
<[www.afibbers.org]>

Erling
Re: Genetics and Afib
November 03, 2011 06:38AM
Perfect! - Thank you Jackie! - it completes the circle begun over a year ago* and opens to full view a profound realm of self-empowerment.

This 'NOVA - Science Now' video adds personal stories to your fine account - an educational presentation about epigenetics and methylation:
[www.pbs.org]. "Once nurture seemed clearly distinct from nature. Now it appears that our diets and lifestyles can change the expression of our genes. How? By influencing a network of chemical switches within our cells collectively known as the epigenome. This new understanding may lead us to potent new medical therapies. Epigenetic cancer therapy, for one, already seems to be yielding promising results."

This delightful video is also powerfully educational: 'A Tale of Two Mice' [www.pbs.org].

*(ref. 'Introduction to 'epigenetics' and 'methylation' <[www.afibbers.org]winking smiley

Quoting Bruce Lipton's 'Biology of Belief' - again!:

"The physical sciences have already embraced quantum physics with sensation results... The medical establishment will eventually be dragged, half kicking and screaming, into the quantum revolution."

Just dragging it along -

Erling

DickI
November 03, 2011 08:45AM
Jackie and Erling,

Thanks for the intro to this idea -- and the implications and questions that arise from it.

I would assume that there are great differences among individuals in the degree to which they are imprisoned by their genetics + circumstances.

The example of the ultimate "prison" may be the quadriplegic on a ventilator with brain biochemistry/neurotransmitter levels that predispose the him to depression or anxiety or possessing other characteristics that make his situation worse (Type A personality?)* as opposed to the brain functioning of the person who remains in a good mood (optimistic perhaps) and unafraid under trying circumstances.

*There would be many other kinds of factors affecting this person's imprisonment: financial circumstances, cultural attitude towards euthanasia or self-deliverance, number and quality of personal relationships...

"So what [ person may ask] are the genetic and other factors that are potentially restrictive and what can I do to negate or mitigate their effects (besides going on welfare (!) or other less-than-desirable responses?" The answer must be that until testing for genetic predispositions, assessment of brain chemistry and quantification of relevant environmental variables is developed and in widespread use (i.e as indicated by being covered by insurance), we must move mostly in the dark --- mustn't we??)

[In a different vein] This statement really struck me:

"DNA is still the big player in town but we now know it is not the only mechanism of inheritance. We can actually change what happens to our children and grandchildren."

This is going a *great deal further* than the idea that an individual can act in spite of his genetic givens by changing epi-factors that will affect ultimate outcome. I would be very interested in examples of this process or anything else about it. For to the extent that it is true, we (I) have a great responsibility to our descendants that surpasses what we might teach them or the material goods we might pass on to them.

-- Dick
Erling
November 03, 2011 01:25PM
Hi Dick -

Ah yes - the real world v. Mary Poppins. I doubt there will be much "kicking and screaming" by the medical establishment as we try to drag in the quantum revolution - not until the Powers that Be figure a way to package Potent Thought into pills (Rx 2 PT qid).

As far back as I remember I've been fascinated looking at deep reality - i don't know how old I was when reading the 1930 book 'The Mysterious Universe' by Sir James Jeans. I do know that learning "there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on all the beaches of the world" blew me away and inevitably led step by step to Lipton's 'The Biology of Belief, and 'Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future and a Way to Get There From Here'. Soon to be read: Dawson Church's 'The Genie in Your Genes' (see [www.dawsonchurch.com]).

The in-between time has been filled soaking up facts and legends and current accounts of incredible (to most) abilities of ancient and modern seers and healers, historical, modern, foreign and domestic, the conclusion being that nothing is impossible - literally. (Had ye enough faith - etc etc). Another mind-blowing book is "Modern Miracles' by Dr. Erlendur Haraldsson, Professor, U. of Iceland (http://notendur.hi.is/erlendur/english/), being an investigative report on psychic phenomena associated with the incomparable Indian mystic Sathya Sai Baba (who is about my age). Some years ago I had a wonderful phone chat with Dr. Samual Sandweiss, MD, UCSD Professor of Psychiatry, relevant to his first book recounting his western-paradigm shattering experiences with Sai Baba: 'The holy Man and The Psychiatrist' (there are excellent reviews at [www.amazon.com]).

Sometime in the 70s I attended an unforgettable three day seminar hosted by Thelma Moss, PhD, UCLA Medical Psycholigist, titled 'The Probability of The Impossible'. It became a book by the same title. (http://www.amazon.com/Probability-Impossible-Scientific-Discoveries-Explorations/dp/0710085206/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320367781&sr=1-2).

Mustn't forget the many, many stories about Neem Karoli (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_Karoli_Baba), Indian spiritual teacher (guru) of Ram Dass, formerly Richard Alpert, Stanford trained Harvard Professor of Psychology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Dass). See also the video 'Epigenetics: How Does it work?' [www.youtube.com].

On and on - "culture bending" story after story (Lipton's words).

The current encounter of ultimate-holistic quantum biology with maistream biology's dogmatic 'understanding' and clinical practices can seem like a never-win situation -- somehow it reminds of the legend of Buddha's temptations by Mara the Temptress upon achieving full awareness of the true nature of consciousness, where he was told, essentially, if you'll shut up about your discovery I'll give you whatever etc, because no one will understand or believe you anyway. The legend has it that he thought it over, but finally decided that some will understand. Maybe that's the game we're playing...

... and so on ...

Take good care!

Erling

William
November 04, 2011 04:51AM
Genes can be switched on or off by an act of will, for instance diabetes responds to presence or absence of carbohydrates.

The first time I relayed this to a forum it was denied by almost all; now it's accepted under the aegis of quantum theory, Indian mysticism etc.

Genetic expression is still an act of will.
"You are what you eat" is old and remains true, also true that you are what you believe.

William
Erling
November 05, 2011 03:36AM
Hi again, Dick - and all -

The fascinating 'Studies in Consciousness' book 'Mind-Reach' by physicists Hal Puthoff, PhD (Stanford U.) and Russell Targ covers non-secret aspects of research performed on behalf of CIA and other 'intelligence' during the 'cold war' '70's. There is a startling episode where "remote viewer" Ingo Swann describes accurately and in great detail, a small island in the S. Indian Ocean - fully unknown to him - while sitting in a room at Stanford Research Institute near San Francisco, having been given only its geographical coordinates. Alongside his sketch and description is a picture of Kerguelin Island from an atlas. (http://www.amazon.com/Mind-Reach-Scientists-Psychic-Abilities-Consciousness/dp/1571744142/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320504230&sr=1-1)

Russell Targ went on to write several books, including with co-author Jane Katra, PhD (U. of Oregon) 'Miracles of Mind: Exploring Nonlocal Consciousness and Spritual Healing'. (http://www.amazon.com/Miracles-Mind-Exploring-Nonlocal-Consciousness/dp/1577310977/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320505309&sr=1-1)

Please see Dr. Katra's website: [www.janekatra.org].

The book 'Remote Viewers: The Secret History of America's Psychic Spies' (1997) by Jim Schnabel is about the military purpose and use of such research. (http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Viewers-History-Americas-Psychic/dp/0440614058/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320503618&sr=1-1)

Erling

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login