Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Study-Vit.E increases Prostate Cancer Risk

Posted by Jerry 
Jerry
New Study-Vit.E increases Prostate Cancer Risk
October 11, 2011 01:30PM
[online.wsj.com]

Researchers studying vitamin E supplements as a way to reduce men's risk of prostate cancer found they actually had the opposite effect, increasing the risk slightly, according to a study funded by the National Institutes of Health.
Erling
Re: New Study-Vit.E increases Prostate Cancer Risk
October 11, 2011 01:58PM
Is there a whiff of Codex Alimentarius in this?

William
October 11, 2011 02:52PM
There is more than one kind of Vitamin E.

"The study, led by researchers from the Cleveland Clinic and University of Texas at San Antonio, looked at the alpha-tocopherol form of vitamin E. Some argue another form, gamma-tocopherol, stands a better chance of being beneficial, Dr. Minasian said, but the biology of that question also needs more study before it can be addressed in human trials."

But this statement takes the prize:"Other research has shown little benefit from supplements. "

It is to laugh. Or cry.

William
Erling
October 11, 2011 03:45PM
Another whiff of Codex Alimentarius?

'Vitamins linked with higher death risk in older women'

[www.bbc.co.uk]

October 12, 2011 12:13AM
This is just the beginning. Nutritional supplements work so well, they will have to begin to discredit them one by one until the public decides not to use them...or that such studies "justify" banning the purchase of OTC nutritional supplements.

These tactics were predictable when the whole rumble started a number of years ago. People getting healthy and remaining healthy as a result of nutritional supplements posed a huge threat to Big Pharma's bottom line and so must be eliminated. What better way to design studies that 'prove' they are harmful.

Jackie
I just read on one of the other blogs I go on, that Big Pharma is going to start tightning up on the sale of supplements. And this is one of their ways to get people to think supplements are BAD.
Dee
Tom Poppino
October 12, 2011 12:50AM
I have been in the Supplement industry for 25 years owning my own store for the past 22. The threat to supplements is real, the FDA wants to take control deeming this industry not safe unless they oversee it. In all my years never once has a customer walked back in to my store and said "wow this stuff nearly killed me this weekend"

Can you imagine a black market for CoQ10, fish oil, magnesium etc? It could happen

TP
on the death-for-older-women comment....
October 12, 2011 11:38AM
The LA Times reported in their article that....

"Americans spend almost $27 billion on dietary supplements each year... according to the Council for Responsible Nutrition, an industry group."

Can't you just picture Big Pharma's salivation over those vitamin $$?

Then another registered dietitian and senior instructor at the U of Colorado School of Medicine in Denver said that.. " the research bolsters arguments against supplements other than in cases of known nutritional deficiency... she said, "millions of Americans take these, but there just don't appear to be a lot of benefits." [I guess we can can see how the new MDs get that attitude since it's drummed into them at med school.]

I'm one of the millions who spends $$ on supplements and I'm 75 - don't take any Rx dryugs. My Primary Care MD is always curious what I'm doing to stay so healthy and wants to know about what my Functional Medicine MD advises. I'm at the point where I'm not likely to see the Primary Care just for routine checkbacks because I don't have anything for which I need his services. Before testing to determine what nutritional deficencies were present, I had a variety of health issues and complaints that mainstream medicine was not able to resolve. I did, however, receive a large number of Rx drugs that didn't work. Glad all that is in the past.

Coming up... my 12th season without cold or flu. winking smiley

Here's to nutritional supplements! Long may they remain available.

Jackie
Re: on the death-for-older-women comment....
October 12, 2011 12:06PM
Yesterday's alert post on this topic...

Posted By ANH-USA On October 11, 2011 @ 5:00 pm In Food Safety, Uncategorized | 197 Comments- Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health – USA - [www.anh-usa.org]

Shame on AMA’s Archives of Internal Medicine

Did you hear the breaking news last night—that multivitamins may shorten your life? Here’s how junk science from the AMA set off the media frenzy.
Bloomberg phrased it this way [1]: “Multivitamins and some dietary supplements, used regularly by an estimated 234 million US adults, may do more harm than good, according to a study that tied their use to higher death rates among older women.” The study’s authors outrageously concluded, “We see little justification for the general and widespread use of dietary supplements.”

The study [2], published in the American Medical Association’s (AMA’s) Archives of Internal Medicine, assessed the use of vitamin and mineral supplements in nearly 39,000 women whose average age was 62. The researchers asked the women to fill out three surveys, the first in 1986, the second in 1997, and the last in 2004, reporting what supplements they took and what foods they ate, and answering a few questions about their health.

That’s right, all the data was self-reported by the study subjects only three times over the course of the 19-year-long study. To say the data is “unreliable” would be a generous description. This kind of “data” has no place in a valid scientific study.

Then the researchers looked at how many of the women had died by 2008. They reported that the number of deaths were somewhat higher for women who took copper, a little bit lower for women who took calcium, but about average for most of the women.

In the study, all of the relative risks were so low as to be statistically insignificant [3], and none was backed up by any medical investigation or biological plausibility study. No analysis was done on what combinations of vitamins and minerals were actually consumed, and no analysis of the cause of death was done beyond grouping for “cancer,” “cardiovascular disease,” or “other”—there was certainly no causative analysis done. The interactions of potential compounding risk factors is always tremendously complex—and was ignored in this so-called study.

“Multivitamin” can mean many different things, and of course changed tremendously over the 19 years during which this “study” was conducted. Were they high quality? Were the ingredients synthetic or natural? How much of each nutrient was taken? Were they really taken at all? How good is anyone’s memory in describing what took place over many years? One would assume that that the women’s diets fluctuated greatly over the same period; when self-reporting only three times in 19 years, there is a great deal of information one would naturally leave out even if some of it was accurate. No analysis was done of the effect of supplements on the women’s overall health, nor of their effect on women of other ages.

According to Dr. Robert Verkerk the Executive & Scientific Director of ANH-International:
“This study is a classic example of scientific reductionism being used to fulfill a particular need. In this case, it’s supplement bashing, a well-known preoccupation of Big Pharma — and an approach that appears to be central to the protection of Big Pharma’s profit margins.”
Read Dr. Verkerk’s article critical of the AMA’s goals and scientific methodology here [4].

In short, this study is less than useless: it is dangerous, because it is being used by the media and the mainstream medical establishment to blacken the eye of nutritional supplements using poor data, bad analysis, and specious conclusions—otherwise known as junk science.

Article printed from Welcome to the Alliance for Natural Health – USA: [www.anh-usa.org]

URL to article:< [www.anh-usa.org]>

URLs in this post:
[1] Bloomberg phrased it this way:[www.bloomberg.com]
[2] study: [junksciencecom.files.wordpress.com]
[3] statistically insignificant:[junkscience.com]
[4] here: [www.anh-europe.org]

Copyright © 2010 Alliance for Natural Health - US. All rights reserved.

Editors
Deborah A. Ray, MT (ASCP)
Craig R. Smith
The Pulse of Natural Health. This newsletter is copyrighted material (© 2011 by Alliance for Natural Health USA) but we hope you will forward, copy, or reprint it without prior authorization. Just remember to note the source and date, and please link to original content on the ANH-USA website.

Dee
October 13, 2011 01:03AM
Congradulations on your good health Jackie, I wish you many more good and happy years.
I think the FDA should do a long double blind study on the supplements they have in question. They approve drugs on this basis that still sicken and kill people. They would never tell us the truth about the good that most supplements do. IMO.
Dee
The studies may be using the synthetic Vit. E . Starts with dl-

natural version d-alpha tocopherol.
synthetic dl-alpha tocopherol,

Unfortunately most mass produced vitamins have the synthetic dl-alpha-tocopherol .

The complete Vitamin E family is composed of- 4 forms of Tocopherols (alpha, beta, gamma and delta) and 4 forms of Tocotrienols (alpha, beta, gamma & delta) .

The vast majority of Vitamin E supplement on the market only contain one form of Vitamin E, mostly synthetic dl-alpha tocopherol, or the more preferred natural version d-alpha tocopherol. In order to get the full benefits of vitamin E; especially the benefits to the heart, it is important to get the best Natural full spectrum Vitamin E supplement like TocoSential.
Hans Larsen
October 13, 2011 09:23AM
Dee,

Here are 159 abstracts attesting to the benefits of vitamin E.

[www.yourhealthbase.com]

Hans

Media hoax exposed: Recent attack on vitamins a fabricated scare campaign
October 16, 2011 05:54AM
Here's an opinion

[www.naturalnews.com]

All -

Book: Medical Mafia by Guylaine Lanctot, 1995:

[www.amazon.com]

First part of the first review, titled:

A Doctor Lost Her Medical License for Writing this Book!!

"This stunning, easy-to-read book, by French-Canadian medical doctor, entrepreneur, and mother Dr. Guylaine Lanctot (pronounced "Ghee-Lane Lank-Toe") answers many questions such as:

(1) Why are certain illnesses untreatable?
(2) Why do some people always become ill and others never?
(3) Why do some people die from an illness and others recover?
(4) Why do medical costs continue to skyrocket? Who profits from this?
(5) Why are some doctors or therapists barred from practicing and others not?

(descriptive reading follows)
(6) Why is treatment remunerated and not prevention?
(7) Why are people still dying of cancer after fifty years of intensive research at astronomical cost?
(8) Why is the public not properly informed about alternative medicines?
(9) Why is everyone so unhappy with the existing medical and hospital system?
(10) Why are there so many medical organizations and government medical agencies? Whose interest are they protecting?"

(further description follows)

[bridgelove.www.50megs.com]

(Ending of a wonderful interview with Dr. Lanctot, who resigned her license and declared herself a free physician):

Burke: You are such an incredible role model for what you teach. Your face glows. You have such a peace about you and such a joy. It shows.

Guylaine Lanctot: It's because I went through my experience. I'm learning but every time I understand something I apply it. I always try it before I talk about it so that I know what it is like. It's just making a choice.

Burke: Can you briefly complete your personal court story?

Guylaine Lanctot: The court story went on until September, 1996. It lasted over a year. The last part was my testimony. Again, the authorities attempted to stop me. They stopped my testimony, so I said, "Okay. That's over. My ****is done." My ****was to put light on that institution. I said, "It's over. Here's my resignation." I had two pieces of paper. One was the resignation, and the other one was my declaration. So, I resigned as a submitted physician and I declared myself as a free physician.

Burke: You gave them both papers?

Guylaine Lanctot: Both papers. Then I left.

Burke: You did this in court?

Guylaine Lanctot: Yes. They said, "You can't do that." I said, "Yes, I can. I can do whatever I want."

Burke: Bravo!

Guylaine Lanctot: Life is fun. We only forget that life is a comedy. It's not a tragedy. If we have a tragedy and we suffer, just laugh at it.

Burke: The Creator intends for us to be happy.

Guylaine Lanctot: Yes, and to remember that WE are the Creator. That's sometimes hard to say. I believe that we are the Creator here on Earth and we decided (as spirits) to come and play the (Earth) game.

Burke: We once heard a story that if the Creator were looking for a hiding place it would be simple to hide in the heart of mankind! No one would look there!

Guylaine Lanctot: Yes. The table in front of us is divine. The only difference between the table and you is that the table does not know that it is divine. But you have the choice as a human being. This is where we stand---to behave like an animal or to behave like a god/goddess. This is the freedom of choice. We have to make a decision. Right now, we have been behaving like sheep....but we can stay there, or we can move on!

I posted some comments a few days ago regarding my opinion of supplements (pros and cons) and my own experience with Vitamin E and prostate cancer.

I assume that Hans took the post down since he is in the business of selling/promoting supplements and my post wasn't totally supportive.

It seems to me that reading various points of view is a good thing and that it allows us to make better choices since we have the opportunity to consider as much information as possible before we decide to act.

Not a big deal, but I don't think my post deserved censoring.
Hans Larsen
October 17, 2011 11:31AM
Ken,

Sorry, I can't find your post, but did not remove it; perhaps you could post it again.

Hans
Hans,

Thanks for responding. My post occurred when this thread was still on the LAF forum, but was moved to this forum at about the same time. Maybe the post and move were simultaneous and some how, never got posted. Who knows?

No need to rewrite the post at this time. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login