Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fresh farmed Atlantic salmon or canned red wild Alaskan salmon?

Posted by alex 
I thought I had asked about this a long time ago but couldn't remember any answers clearly and couldn't find it in search.

In Australia there is farmed Atlantic salmon or you can go into some supermarkets and get canned red wild Alaskan salmon.

Which is the better choice?

Thanks.

Alex

I searched dangers of farm raised salmon.A ton of stuff to go through.
I only eat Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon. These are the pink salmon.
Price for 14oz can is about $2.39 in state of Ga. at this time.
[fficial&client=firefox-a" rel="nofollow">www.google.com]
Thanks for that Todd,

which raises the question, what about other canned food, such as sardines.

How much difference is there between these other canned food varieties of fish as compared to the fresh?

Alex

Re: Fresh farmed Atlantic salmon or canned red wild Alaskan salmon?
April 24, 2011 01:05AM
Alex - Avoid farm raised fish. As Todd indicates, there is a plethora of info on the Internet as to why.

Sardines are not typically farm raised. They are very small and very low on the food chain so don't live long enough to accumulate the toxic burdens of mercury, dioxins, PCBs etc that the larger, old fish do. If you look for the sardines that are 'cross-packed' meaning they are layered crosswise in the cans because they are so tiny, you'll be getting the best possible. I'm particular fond of the Norwegian cross-pack sardines. Choose those labeled with the lowest sodium content.

Jackie
Sardines are not one fish you know, the ones you refer to Jackie are actually called Brisling or Sprats as I would call them. In the UK the fish we call sardine are actually young Pilchards.

Whatever species they are though they are delicious.
Sardines are
great source of Q10
One website selling canned sardine for $10 can 5.5 oz.
And i was crying about 2.39 a can 14oz salmon

Sardines, a tiny, sleek and silvery canned fish, are one of the few foods that contain Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), a nutrient found the body's cells. In a nutshell, it's believed to have antioxidant properties and is
said to enhance physical energy. Studies have also found that CoQ10 benefits those with cardiovascular diseases, particularly hypertension and congestive heart failure. In addition to CoQ10, these little nutritional powerhouses are also ample sources of vitamin B12, selenium, omega-3 oils, protein, phosphorus and vitamin D
Canned fish is very convenient, a great way to get wild, not farm-raised fish, but, just to reiterate, the sodium is very likely to be an issue. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a can of salmon that didn't have at least some salt added. I have seen "no-salt added tuna" (Trader Joe's), though. Sardines ? If so, please tell me the brand, because I love them.

Some canned fish is fairly "pure" and some is salty as Heck! BTW, I think the saltier version tastes better, but I try to avoid it anyway :-(

If you live in the U.S. (can't speak for other countries), frozen salmon and other fish (wild-caught) is widely available. It is much less likely to have the salt issue.

lisa

My can Salmon has salt.I have never read the ingredients.
Sodium 250mg Ingredients: Pink Salmon and Salt.
Brand Double Q Pink wild caught Alaskan Salmon.
I guess i can rinse them off a little before cooking them.
Just to supply a little information regarding farmed versus wild salmon, Pacific Sockeye Salmon are not farmed: Here's a quote from Vital Choice:

"Pacific sockeye salmon are among the most highly prized of the wild salmon species (for their rich red color and firm texture), however attempts to farm them have not been commercially successful. Sockeye have a unique diet and lifecycle that are not easily replicated in an aquaculture environment, though you can bet that somewhere, someone's working on it!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login