Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Early onset of afib, genetics

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Early onset of afib, genetics
May 08, 2020 01:30AM
Came across this but beyond my pay-grade to draw conclusions for a possible intervention to stop the problem. Hopefully someone on here will know?
[www.karger.com]
Re: Early onset of afib, genetics
May 08, 2020 10:33AM
More evidence AF has a genetic basis but I don't see a treatment in it.
May 08, 2020 01:01PM
Carey - is that to say that ablations won't work when a parent had AF?
May 08, 2020 01:18PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Carey - is that to say that ablations won't work when a parent had AF?

No, not what Carey meant. He means if you have these genetics, then there is no preventative treatment. Also, the OR for the SNPs was about 1.7. In absolute terms, that doesn't mean that much, as afib has relatively low prevalence anyway. Ablation will work under the direction of a top tier ablationist. Shannon's father died of an afib related stroke. His sister also had it and ended up with a botched ablation which put her in a nursing home for the rest of her life. Shannon had suggested Natale for an ablation and she used a local Houston EP. Shannon was in the Netherlands at the time and did not find out about till after the fact. Shannon has had durable results from his Natale ablations (he's had two, including LAA work).

{edit}
When I run my 23andMe data through Promethease, I've got 18 SNPs that have an afib relationship. 7 good, 2 bad and 9 unknown. One of those is the lowest risk for afib in white women. Maybe this will help my daughter... I tried to compare my genome with that of my kids to see if I could figure out if they carried my risk SNP(s). I was unsuccessful. After that, I was riding the chairlift with the brother-in-law of a friend. This guy taught university genetics. I told him my analysis was that there were only a few genes that had a strong health association, like ApoE4 and the BRACA genes. Other than that, knowing your genetics wasn't all that helpful. He said he agreed with me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2020 04:16PM by GeorgeN.
May 08, 2020 03:17PM
I should relook at my SNPs
Thanks.
May 08, 2020 06:51PM
GeorgeN
When I run my 23andMe data through Promethease, I've got 18 SNPs that have an afib relationship. 7 good, 2 bad and 9 unknown.

I have 0 good, 3 bad, and 7 unknown. I also have one bad for thrombosis. Not a good combination, so glad I've got the Watchman and that cinched my decision to remain on half-dose Eliquis.
May 09, 2020 11:34AM
What's a good keyword to search for these SNPs ? Thanks
May 09, 2020 01:47PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
What's a good keyword to search for these SNPs ? Thanks

What I did was: 1) run the 23andMe raw file (logged on, clicked on my name in upper right, clicked on Browse Raw Data & then Download) through Promethease.com. Then I selected, if the report format hasn't changed as I haven't updated in a couple years) ClinVar Disease in the right box and then scrolled down to Atrial Fibrillation.

You could also search the 23andMe raw file in a text editor. Search Snpedia.com for atrial fibrillation to get an idea of SNPs to look for <[www.snpedia.com]

Ok, I just updated my Promethease report. Somewhat changed. Now only 13 afib SNPs in their database (my raw file only has 10 of these). I have 2 good 1 bad (rs13376333(C;T)) and 7 not set in the new report. Now there is a Medical Conditions selection box.
May 15, 2020 04:02PM
Thanks George.

All I see is gs276 - the rest of mine are 'not set'.

So it looks like I caused it myself - but the good news is - it's fixable.

Just have to find out how.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2020 04:35PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login