Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marijuana

Posted by Driver 
Marijuana
May 06, 2020 11:43AM
In the past I have used marijuana (edibles) effectively to treat stress/anxiety (6+months since last use). Is there any concern/precaution using marijuana prior to ablation? Nurse said stop couple days prior and I'd need to tell anesthesiologist level of use so they can adjust their meds. I use CBD oil effectively for joint pain daily as well. (I live in WA state where marijuana legal). Finding myself stressing about upcoming procedure looking for a natural relief.

Thought I'd pass it through here as well with all due respect to the nurse.

Thanks!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 11:45AM by Driver.
Re: Marijuana
May 06, 2020 02:44PM
I don't think it's an issue. I wouldn't go into the procedure high, but I'm confident that millions of people have undergone surgery and anesthesia just hours (even minutes) after using cannabis without problem. THC and CBD just don't interact with much of anything. I have seen reports that heavy users are slightly more resistant to anesthesia agents, but I suspect emphasis is on the word "heavy." Just be honest with the anesthesiologist.
May 06, 2020 02:52PM
Would give it a good week prior to procedure if I decided I was going to ease my stress/anxiety. In past few times a year to ease overload of stress and anxiety. So in no means a heavy user but will be completely up front.

Thanks
May 08, 2020 02:40PM
Knowing the long memory of health records, insurance companies etc. I would lay off the grass for a week and not tell them a g'damn thing. Anything you say to a nurse or doctor may be one day used against you. I have personal and certain experience with this.
May 08, 2020 08:49PM
Life insurance issues?

NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Knowing the long memory of health records, insurance companies etc. I would lay off the grass for a week and not tell them a g'damn thing. Anything you say to a nurse or doctor may be one day used against you. I have personal and certain experience with this.
May 08, 2020 09:03PM
Driver
Life insurance issues?

Yep, for example. Somebody (I still haven't figured out who) added "diastolic dysfunction" as a diagnosis to my record because they misinterpreted a TEE I had for my Watchman procedure. That wasn't added by anyone involved in the Watchman procedure. It was somebody else who saw the results later and misinterpreted them. DD is a form of heart failure with no effective treatment, so it's not surprising that I was denied life insurance coverage because of it.

These days I doubt using pot would get you denied for life insurance, but NotLying has a good point about being careful what you admit to even if it's legal.
May 08, 2020 09:21PM
Well since I rarely use THC besides in hi anxiety situations and CBD for minor joint pain I'm just list give it 2 weeks prior to abalation. Ill just keep to myself about past use.

Another person told me they were allowed Valium morning of procedure in Texas, sure insurance wouldn't bat an eye about that. But Marijuana is the big bad wolf stillsmiling smiley

Carey

Life insurance issues?

Yep, for example. Somebody (I still haven't figured out who) added "diastolic dysfunction" as a diagnosis to my record because they misinterpreted a TEE I had for my Watchman procedure. That wasn't added by anyone involved in the Watchman procedure. It was somebody else who saw the results later and misinterpreted them. DD is a form of heart failure with no effective treatment, so it's not surprising that I was denied life insurance coverage because of it.

These days I doubt using pot would get you denied for life insurance, but NotLying has a good point about being careful what you admit to even if it's legal.
May 09, 2020 12:06AM
Nobody will bat an eye at drugs prescribed by your doctors. So if you need something for anxiety just ask.
May 09, 2020 11:48AM
Just lessons learned through life. If things can be used against you, they can be, years even decades later.

A little more about this - I was looking through my hospital labs the other day to see if they did BNP (they did) but also found they tested for just about every drug possibility out there.

I imagine those things could be later found out by an insurance company and others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2020 01:36PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
May 13, 2020 09:30AM
Driver
Well since I rarely use THC besides in hi anxiety situations and CBD for minor joint pain I'm just list give it 2 weeks prior to abalation. Ill just keep to myself about past use.

Another person told me they were allowed Valium morning of procedure in Texas, sure insurance wouldn't bat an eye about that. But Marijuana is the big bad wolf stillsmiling smiley

I took a benzo the morning of my Natale ablation and my Horton/Natale Watchman implant. Can't imagine NOT having that in my system before a procedure.
May 17, 2020 12:48AM
Prior to my ablation with Dr Natale, I asked if I could take a Valium the day of the procedure. They said yes and the morning of the ablation I took my Eliquis with a Valium. It really relaxed me. I told the anesthesiologist as well.

Driver

Life insurance issues?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login