Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Severe diarrhea after ablation

Posted by thanh 
Severe diarrhea after ablation
February 11, 2017 07:02PM
I've had my ablation about 7 months ago and my digestive has never been the same since. Now, I've been having diarrhea in the past 4 weeks or so. The stool cultured came back negative, so it's not regular diarrhea. Does anybody have similar problems? And how you took care of it?
Re: Severe diarrhea after ablation
February 12, 2017 10:53AM
Here are some thoughts:

Questions... When you say 'digestive system has never been the same'.... do you mean stomach/digestive issues or the intestinal/bowel issues... or both ?

By any chance, were you given an antibiotic around the time of your ablation?

Consider using a high count probiotic to help normalize the 'friendly' gut bacteria that must be present for intestinal stability.

Consider also, if possible, before starting the probiotics to have a Comprehensive Stool Analysis such as that by Genova Diagnostics... much more detailed than the typical, routine stool check.
[www.gdx.net]

I would want to rule out C. difficile first as the constant diarrhea symptom is classic.

Therapeutic grade probiotics:

VSL#3 [vsl3.com]

David Perlmutter, MD's... line of therapeutic probiotics
[www.drperlmutter.com]
[www.drperlmutter.com]
[www.gardenoflife.com]
Try the 50 Billion Count by Garden of Life - Doctor Formulated by David Perlmutter, MD.

Jackie
February 13, 2017 05:30PM
Thank you, Jackie, for your advice. Since the ablation, I've been suffering bloating, indigestion, acid reflux, gassy, nausea, etc. I've asked my family doctor but he said sometimes that happen with the ablation.

I haven't had any antibiotics for a long time, so it shouldn't be the cause for my condition. Anyway, I'll try the probiotic you suggested for a while to see how it goes.
February 14, 2017 08:29AM
When I was in hospital for more than a day they took rectal swabs daily as the same was going around in hospital. I was fortunate not to get it but many others did.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
February 14, 2017 08:42AM
thanh - since you mention the symptoms of indigestion and acid reflux, you might consider also trying DGL between meals and a digestive enzyme with meals.

DGL is fast acting for reflux and bloat any time it crops up. The directions say to use it 20 minutes before a meal, but I prefer to use the digestive enzyme which is a complex blend. While I no longer have the reflux issues of years past, I know the DGL works quickly. I trust the Natural Factors brand. And the Source Natural's essential enzymes has been my mainstay for many years.

Read more here:
DGL [www.iherb.com]
Enzymes: [www.iherb.com]

When I had my digestive issues, my holistic doctor said to also take small amounts of betaine HCl...(hydrochloric acid) to assist with adding more stomach acid to aid with breaking down proteins. I did that for a while and also was prescribed zinc and vitamin B12 since those nutrients are essential to support making one's own natural stomach acid. Everything normalized with time. Send me a PM if you would like more detail.

Hope you get relief soon.
Jackie
February 15, 2017 01:31PM
Jackie,
Thank you so much. I'll try those as you suggested.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login