Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Topical Magnesium

Posted by BillB 
BillB
Topical Magnesium
January 07, 2011 02:42AM
Hello All,

Anyone here have any luck with topical magnesium creams? They are not cheap and I wanted some feedback before I buy it. Also, does anyone find that Epsom salts works? Taking 800 mg/day of chelated magnesium has helped me in the past - but I can never take even near that amount for long without getting significant GI distress.

Bill
Re: Topical Magnesium
January 07, 2011 03:53AM
Bill - some of the reason for magnesium and bowel tolerance issues can be the form... and not all chelates are true chelates.
These reports cover the absorption issues and addresses topical application as well
[www.afibbers.org]
see also:
[www.afibbers.org]

The topical or trans-dermal or 'oil' forms are also effective. They don't have to be costly. There is a gel-form that works well. The spray-on types are diluted with water so it makes more sense to by the concentrated gel form.

I use a pure magnesium oil from the ancient Zechstein Sea for sore muscles and it is always amazing how quickly those muscles relax.

Whatever you can do to increase your intracellular magneisum levels is the way to go.

Jackie
Josiah
January 07, 2011 04:05AM
I apply magnesium oil liberally to all easily reached portions of my skin every morning. How much Mg I actually absorb this way is a mystery.

Some people find the Mg oil causes a burning sensation, but it doesn't bother me or my wife. I don't rinse the residue off which results in a slightly sticky feeling which I've learned to live with.

My recollection is that bought in bulk, the Mg oil if not expensive at all.

Josiah

GeorgeN
January 07, 2011 05:08AM
Bill,

See: <[www.afibbers.org];

In this link, they reference making your own topical sprays & lotions with epsom salts <[www.enzymestuff.com]; One could use mag chloride as well. I give a link for "nigari" in the first link. It is mag chloride the Japanese use to coagulate tofu. Several years ago, I had a lab test the Mitoku brand nigari for heavy metals on a mass spectrometer. It came out very clean.

I'm usually too lazy to make magneisum oil from the chloride, however, I do consume it orally. I add 7 tablespoons to 2 liters of water. I estimate there is about 125 mg elemental mag per 100 ml of this solution. I consume 800 ml or 1 gram mag this way per day, along with 800 mg of mag as glycinate and another 400 or so mag as magnesium bicarbonate liquid (Waller Water) [www.afibbers.org].

As an anecdote on transdermal use. My friend told me her toes would curl up and cramp when she took her shoes off at night. I suggested topical epsom salts in a super saturated solution topically as the first line of defense. Then starting oral mag glycinate. The solution worked immediately. She then got her oral intake to the place where she didn't need the transdermal approach and could just rely on oral intake.

She is also a WPW (Wolffe Parkinson White) ablatee (extra pathway in the AV node). Monitoring with a beat to beat recording heart rate monitor showed her with an adrenergically triggered bigeminal PAC patterns (during exercise). These respond to additional mag intake. Along with the glycinate, she now consumes Waller Water. She also pays close attention to not spiking blood sugar (and therefore insulin) to minimize mag wasting from insulin spikes [www.afibbers.org]

WPW patients have a higher risk of afib. Her mother, also WPW ablatee, has afib,too. My friend is trying to not end up with afib, hence her careful attention to repleting her magnesium.

Fran, the poster who originally figured out a paleo diet would keep her in NSR, used topical epsom salts as she could not tolerate oral supplements.

Lastly, a UK doc [drmyhill.co.uk] has suggested using a nebuliser as an alternative to magnesium injections.

George
BillB
January 07, 2011 06:12AM
Jackie/Josiah/George,

What brands do you use? And where do you get it?

Bill
GeorgeN
January 07, 2011 03:25PM
Bill,

I use Mitoku brand nigari flakes for magnesium chloride <[www.naturalimport.com] flakes"&ss="nigari flakes"&n=431948>

Also, correction. I wrote, " I estimate there is about 125 mg elemental mag per 100 ml of this solution. I consume 800 ml or 1 gram mag this way per day" above. It should read, " I estimate there is about 250 mg elemental mag per 100 ml of this solution. I consume 400 ml or 1 gram mag this way per day"

George
GeorgeN
January 08, 2011 12:17AM
Sorry about that, the live link didn't take as there is a space in it. Try this [tinyurl.com]

January 08, 2011 01:47AM
I use MagneDerm from Designs for Health .... but I only use it for sore muscles so one 8 oz bottle of the concentrated gel lasts a very long time as the amount applied is small. If you intend to use it daily as your only Mg source, then the flakes George mentions would be more economical.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login