Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lyme/AFIB

Posted by drew 
drew
Lyme/AFIB
October 03, 2010 03:23AM
I am responding to a post from last month, but don't know how to get it to jump to the top of the forum list so I am posting my response and a link to the discussion here:

[www.afibbers.org]

Hi All,

I a chiming in a bit late here, but I wanted to mention a few things. I've had afib for 4 years or so (actually had afib 3 times in that span). I was bit by a tick 5 years ago and originally tested negative for lyme. But within a year of the byte is when I start to recall my heart palps GREATLY increased. They were there before the tick bite, but they seem to have skyrocketed since that time. Maybe it's coincidental, but I'd recommend at least researching your lyme diagnosis further.

As I said I was initially told I did not have Lyme. I recently got specific Lyme testing done by a labe called "Igenix" in California. Any LLMD (Lyme literate MD) will tell you to use this lab to get your testing done. Mine came back positive on several lyme specific "bands".

As a result I am currently undergoing treatment for Lyme. I've had some ups and downs with regards to heart palpitations. There have been periods where I thought the treatment was helping and periods where I thought it has not (I've only been undergoing treatment for a few months.)

Typically, a chronic case of Lyme could take 12 months or longer to properly treat as peoples bodies are way out of wack once Lyme has taken hold.

There are also several different types of infections (called co-infections) that you could have received from a Lyme infected tick. These complicate treatment...

There is usually many different antibiotics you have to try to find which ones kill the bugs.

If you want a great tutorial on Lyme disease and its treatment, take a look here:

[www.ilads.org]

Hope you at least get some definitive testing done by a reputable lab and find an MD who is literate in Lyme to at least advise you. IF you test positive, why not at least try treatment for awhile before the ablation?
Ken H.
Re: Lyme/AFIB
October 04, 2010 12:37PM
Drew,

Thanks for the post, I had a followup test which was negative but my doctor told me it only checked three bands out of twelve but she ordered that one because my insurance would cover it, I go tomorrow for a test that covers twelve bands, I will pay for this one out of pocket but I just want a confirmation before I go through the treatment. I have cancelled my ablation and will wait to see what happens when I start the lyme treatment.

Ken H.
Josko
Re: Lyme/AFIB
October 08, 2010 01:05AM
Interesting. I also plan to get tested and use this lab.

Can you be specific on what tests you had done at this lab since they list many? And what was the cost since insurance will not cover it.

thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login