Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taurine

Posted by Jackie 
Taurine
June 05, 2004 12:36AM
Just found this statement on Taurine while looking for something else

L-taurine helps support proper heart function by normalizing potassium flow in and out of the heart muscle and aiding in free radical elimination.

Decided to bring forward my original post on Taurine...for new readers....
Important info for afibbers.. Jackie

What about Taurine?

BACKGROUND

In one of my many posts reporting my success with magnesium glycinate (MgG) in eliminating breakthrough arrhythmia while on Flecanide, I mentioned my interest and use of magnesium taurate (MgT). Some discussion ensued as to our true need of supplementing with taurine – and another comment was quoted from the magnesium pages of Cold.cure.com indicating MgG tended to unbalance taurine stores if used long term.

This was of concern, since I’m an enthusiastic advocate of MgG, so I set out to prove or disprove the “unbalancing” statement. I was unable to find any documented statement that either expressly stated that fact or implied it, other than on the Coldcure site.

I corresponded with the Web author, George Eby, to learn his reference source. It seems it is his personal hypothesis based on his dramatic and very successful cure of his depression and arrhythmia – first with MgG and later refined with MgT. His reasoning is based on rat studies (and his own experience) showing glycine suppresses hepatic taurine content, but not in other taurine-rich organs (brain, heart or kidney.) As glycine goes up, taurine goes down and bile production is impaired with intestinal absorption of magnesium, impaired to a greater extent. He speculates that in people sensitive to this reaction, MgG would be contraindicated and MgT would be helpful. He also speculates his arrhythmias and PAC’s (ectopy) are caused by too much glycine and by switching to the taurine form, they are prevented. It also corrected his bowel intolerance reaction.

My Metagenics contact, consulted with Metagenics Research at headquarters and was told that there was no foundation to the unbalancing or depleting theory. Rather, they s recommended taurine along with magnesium glycinate because they potentiate each other.

I found no evidence that the amino acid, glycine, another major inhibitory neurotransmitter that calms the body, is pathogenic. (However, my search was only cursory for this initial investigation.) Glycine is extremely abundant in the body and is as common as glucose. The average daily adult intake of glycine in the US is 3 to 5 grams.

It is speculated that under some conditions, glycine might become essential in humans. Glycine has been shown to be an effective carrier for minerals that facilitate absorption in the intestinal tract. Glycine is used by the body to form collagen, a key protein in cartilage and connective tissue.

This research endeavor was fortuitous for me, because after reading extensively, I am strongly convinced we need to examine and understand taurine more closely…not only for its potential impact on afib.

My intention was to post a formally written and referenced research paper, but ran out of time so rather than delay the information, I’m summarizing the highlights and providing references at the end. I have either directly quoted or paraphrased. Everything can be substantiated from the resources. My comments are in the brackets [ ] since this is an informal report, I’m posing some questions for consideration.

References to magnesium’s role and importance is also mentioned since this search focus was on magnesium glycinate’s effect on taurine stores…and the basic hypothesis for using supplemental is to correct magnesium deficiency from which, most assuredly, all afibbers suffer.

The importance of additional magnesium in afibbers is a given, in light of the commonly recognized magnesium depleters…#1 being stress of all types, followed by too much sugar, too much calcium, antibiotics, large amounts of protein, chemotherapy, refined flour, diuretics, alcohol, sodium-softened water either municipal tap or in-home, fluoride and high fat foods along with foods high in oxalic acid.

Magnesium glycinate was patented by Metagenics to provide maximum bioavailability without the typical side effects of bowel intolerance to elevated (therapeutic) doses needed to overcome magnesium deficiency. Obviously, it does no good to consume supplemental Mg if it doesn’t remain in the small intestine long enough for nutrient absorption.

The question posed by this report is…..Is it time to embrace the use of magnesium taurate rather than magnesium glycinate? Perhaps there is a need for both forms.

I’m using three capsules/tablets of each form and getting a little almost 700 mg. magnesium daily from divided doses. I’d like to think the bioavailability factor from the MgG form assists the majority of the magnesium into the cells where it belongs. At the end of this report, I’ve listed resources for the MgT and plain taurine.

REFERENCES

My resource references are listed at the end, but the majority of my findings came from two sources: the book, “The Healing Nutrients Within” (originally published in 1987 and revised in 2003) by Eric R. Braverman, MD, who is an integrative physician and Director of the Place for Achieving Total Health in NYC and a paper published by one of Dr. Braverman’s co-authors, Richard Smayda, D.O., Director of Primary Care Medicine at Cape Cod Hospital, Brewster, MA. Taurine metabolism is Dr. Smayda’s area of expertise. There several other references as well.

Taurine was dubbed The Miracle Substance back in 1993, by the late Donald J. Carrow, MD who was one of the early pioneers in alternative medicine. After this research, I agree.

Now, to Taurine (T)– the miracle substance —while you read the properties or attributes of taurine, keep thinking …..do I have enough (T) to perform all these important functions? And remember as well, the reason we are boosting the magnesium glycinate intake is to replenish magnesium stores that have become depleted and therefore, have allowed conditions such as afib to flourish

I hypothesize that the synergy between MgG and T are responsible for calming heart cells and eliminating afib…based on my own success. You may conclude that taking magnesium and taurine in a complexed form in addition to MgG (or in place of) makes a good deal of sense.

The following (T) highlights are not presented in order of importance. Some of the BB readers will recognize the excerpt from an exceptionally fine article written by Patrick Chambers, MD, known on the board as PC…entitled: Magnesium and Potassium in LAF. Everyone with afib should call up that article, print it out, and go over it paragraph by paragraph to understand the story PC lays out for us. Don’t miss it if you haven’t read it.

TAURINE PROPERTIES - (A FEW OF MANY)

-Is a lesser-known essential amino acid and is the most abundant source of sulfur available from an amino-containing compound in the body.

-Is found in every cell and in great quantity throughout the body.

-Regulates the most basic of cell functions – genetic transcription.

-The body can make its own from amino acids, methionine and cysteine in the presence of Vitamin B6, but prefers to obtain it directly from food sources.

-The body normally makes all it needs, but under certain conditions, such as disease, injury or physical exertion and high periods of stress (both physical and mental), the supply may not meet the demand. Deficiencies have been documented in vegans and diabetics.

-Cellular depletion of (T) has been linked to developmental defects, retinal damage, immunodeficiency, impaired cellular growth and the development of cardiomyopathy.

-Is most concentrated in, and plays a major role in the central nervous system (CNS), heart, white blood cells, muscle and retina.

-Is inhibitory and suppresses the release of excitatory neurotransmitters like norepinephrine and acetylcholine.

-Most important function is to facilitate the passage of sodium, potassium ( possibly calcium and magnesium) ions in and out of cells and to electrically stabilize cell membranes…..or said another way:

-Is necessary for the proper functioning of the sodium/potassium ATPase pump which regulates the ion balance between cells and the extracellular fluid that surrounds them.

- Is found in high concentrations in white blood cells. Enhances the immune system by stimulating the release of macrophages and increasing neutrophil activity.

-Critical in preterm and newborns for growth and development
-Relieves angina, normalizes blood pressure, corrects cardiac arrhythmia.
-Normalizes blood sugar levels in diabetics.
-Decreases carbohydrate cravings and aids in the release of insulin.
-Alleviates liver disturbances due to poor fat metabolism.
-Is vital to adrenal gland, liver and gallbladder function.
-Improves nerve impulse transmission and eye physiology.
-Regenerates damaged retinal cells.

-Is depleted by MSG

-Prevents glutmate excitoxicity through regulation of calcium and mitochondrial energy metabolism.

-Lowers elevated blood pressure

-Retards cholesterol-induced atherogenesis

-Lowers cholesterol, triglycerides, suppresses VLDL , elevates HDL

-Stabilizes platelets, preserves erythrocytes

-Increases cholesterol excretion in the bile (rat studies)

-Is useful in some cases of mitral valve prolapse, cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure and epilepsy

-Can neutralize toxic effects of known internally-produced substances and xenobiotics (environmental agents) and can act as a direct or indirect detoxifying agent since it has both acid and alkaline activity.

-Is a weak chelator and a powerful antioxidant. As an antioxidant, can block the damaging effect of both ionizing (gamma x-ray) and non-ionizing (electricity ) particles as well as block lipid peroxidation …which may have implications in the aging process and degenerative disease processes.

-The effects of taurine are greatly enhanced by cations such as magnesium and zinc.

[ Since 80% of the population is magnesium deficient, we can assume, taurine’s job performance is also deficient.]

TAURINE’S CONNECTION TO HEART FUNCTION & ARRHYTHMIA

-Taurine is a powerful cell membrane stabilizer

-A deficiency of vitamin B6 suppresses the activity of taurine.

-Taurine, along with Vitamin B6, acts as a natural diuretic for salt and water retention.

-Taurine increases in the heart during chronic stress as part of the adaptive response.

-Following ischemia, taurine levels drop to as low as 1/3 of normal.

-Low levels of taurine are observed in patients following heart attacks and is frequently recommended as a supplement for promoting “heart health”

-Taurine appears to offer potential in the treatment of arrhythmia and reducing blood pressure at relatively high doses….(2 – 6 grams a day) and has been used in studies of heart function at levels up to 6 grams a day.

-Taurine works hand-in-hand with magnesium in controlling calcium in the heart. Heart tissue contains over 100 times more taurine than is found in the blood, making it a critical nutrient for the heart since it affects the heart muscle’s ability to contact.

-Protects the heart from oxidative stress.

It is relevant to read PC’s report – but go specifically to the Magnesium section and note some of these passages. If I pulled out all the important portions, I’d have to copy the whole report. PC provides a logical connection between magnesium’s function, magnesium deficiency, the detrimental role of excess calcium, and stress hormones….and the importance of keeping magnesium and potassium in the cells.

-Revisiting this from PC’s report…..

“If there is insufficient Mg for adequate ATP, then the primarily extracellular cations sodium (Na) and calcium (Ca) tend to leak into the cells and the primarily intracellular cations potassium (K) and Mg tend to leak out.

However, membrane leakiness in magnesium deficiency depends less on ATP related activity and more on the membrane stabilizing effects of magnesium phospholipid complexes(12).

This leakiness disrupts proper gradients and cellular function. In addition Mg is an antioxidant and Mg deficiency allows accelerated free radical damage to cell membranes (lipid peroxidation), further compromising cellular cation (positive ion) homeostasis(3,24,32,60,61).

[ Jackie asks: Might we not also conclude that the ion-stabilizing property of taurine is also involved here and if K is allowed to leak out, taurine is more a factor of arrhythmia than perhaps even the magnesium?]

Again – PC’s report--- go to this report and review these key points…

…..starting with “ Unfortunately, the deleterious effects of aldosterone ….. (watch for reference #41 and continue through references 80, 81).

Be sure you note he was addressing taurine long ago. The connection is certainly plausible. Taurine is the powerful membrane stabilizer. We need K and Mg in the cells to avoid afib along with appropriate calcium and sodium regulation.

A CONTEMPORARY REVIEW OF THERAPEUTIC BENEFITS OF THE AMINO ACID TAURINE” …..by Richard Smayda, D.O. (An excerpt from the “Heart” Subtitle)

“During ischemia, hypoxia, and heart failure, the heart is subjected to a series of adverse changes. Taurine level is depleted in the failing heart. Taurine acts with a number of electrophysiological actions on cardiac cells by modulating the ion channels.

Calcium homeostasis is critical to stable myocardial contractile function. Taurine prolongs the action potential duration of calcium at high intracellular levels and shortens it at low levels.

Changes in the intracellular taurine pool modulate calcium transport, and regardless of whether calcium is elevated or depressed, taurine exerts a cardioprotective action. Through the sodium-calcium transport exchanger in cardiomyocytes (heart cells), taurine permits the entry of sodium which favors a co-transport of calcium. It also modulates the activity of calcium channels to promote sodium influx. Within the area of the sarcoplasmic reticulum, changes in the intracellular taurine concentration modulate calcium transport by promoting calcium release and inhibiting an enzyme that triggers loss of calcium.

In these regards, taurine has an essential function in ensuring stable calcium levels, which thereby promotes proper contractile function of the heart tissue. Likewise, potassium is also an important ion in heart cells. Taurine directly modulates the potassium ion current by increasing the current's action potential duration.

In ischemia, arrhythmia may be induced. Irregular heartbeat patterns are caused by abnormal extracellular calcium concentration in heart cells. With both low and high calcium, the number of beating cells, the beating rate, and the number of arrhythmic cells are adversely affected. In a research study, the addition of taurine attenuated this response of myocytes to varying calcium concentrations. Taurine's effect was quite specific, as analogs (including glycine) were not effective substitutes (20). The incidence of premature beats and tachycardia of the ventricles is notably decreased by taurine treatment.

Taurine is valuable in its role to protect the heart from oxidative stress and post-ischemic injury. It reduces lipo-peroxidation (free radical damage). In patients undergoing coronary artery bypasses who were pretreated with taurine, heart cell mitochondria (the cellular powerhouses) were subjected to far less extensive damage.

The ability to scavenge free radicals is a potent cardioprotective role. When taurine is administered to people recovering from ischemia, the rate of the heart's action is notably different than non-treated counterparts.
Both the quantity of lactate (a marker of ischemic challenge) and quantity of glutathione (a marker of oxidative stress) are attenuated with taurine. ATP levels (denoting cellular energy production) are also suppressed in ischemia. Through the modulation of lactate, glutathione, and ATP, taurine influences the ability and extent of recovery (21-22).

Thrombosis, the formation of a clot (thrombus) in the cardiovascular system, may result in myocardial infarction (heart attack). In this condition, serum endothelin concentration is markedly higher within the first several hours of onset.

When taurine is administered with urokinase, a plasminogen activator (an enzyme that hydrolyzes arginine and lysine), serum endothelin levels decreased after eight hours post-infarction and stayed suppressed for several days. This suggests that taurine can beneficially affect serum endothelin levels and thus be a valuable adjunct to thrombolytic treatment (23).

Angiotensin is a hormone that the kidneys secrete to cause changes in blood pressure, either directly or by altering the sodium content of the blood. It is suspected that incorrect instructions from the angiotensin system are involved in producing hypertension. Researchers notice that in spontaneously hypertensive rats, minute amounts of angiotensin II cause increase in mean arterial pressure and heart rate, accompanied by increased release of glutamate (24). These changes were partially blocked by using an antagonist of glutamate -- taurine, glycine, or GABA. This research suggests that amino acid neurotransmitters may mediate, as well as contribute to, the cardiovascular effects of angiotensin.

Angiotensin II increases the rate of protein synthesis in heart cells. It also promotes a rise in intracellular calcium. In a particular type of heart cell (non-myocyte), angiotensin II promotes hyperplastic and hypertrophic growth, resulting in an increase in bulk.

Taurine reduces the responsiveness of heart cells to these actions of angiotensin II, largely by altering calcium ion flux across cell membranes. It thereby may benefit cases of heart failure by suppressing undesirable cellular activities.

Angiotensin also activates the sodium-calcium transport exchanger, over which taurine exerts control. Taurine depletion causes an impairment of myocardial relaxation; angiotensin counters this effect. Taurine deficit adversely affects heart contractile ability and ion transport, effects that are ameliorated by angiotensin II.

Taurine lowers arterial pressure by promoting diuresis and vasodilation (opening of the vessels). A depletion of taurine in the heart leads to a decrease of plasma atrial naturetic peptide (ANP) in the vascular system, causing additional alteration of arterial pressure. ANP secretion caused by increased blood sodium levels is depressed by taurine depletion, leading to a state of diuretic imbalance: excess salt in the absence of taurine leads to an increase of arterial pressure.

Taurine makes up nearly 50% of the free amino acids in the heart cells. It has a dramatic effect on the success of recovery from life-threatening cardiac conditions. Researchers conducted a six-week comparative study of oral supplementation of taurine versus Coenzyme Q-10 in patients with congestive heart failure attributed to cardiomyopathy (including ischemia) and exhibiting a grossly compromised ejection fraction (the ability of the heart to pump blood) (25).

The results were surprising: the taurine-treated group exhibited significant treatment effect on systolic left ventricular function, with no observable effect in the Co Q-10 group. Additionally, its role in blood pressure, caused by its interaction with substances that modulate diuresis, attests to taurine deficiency as a major factor in the hypertensive state.

When treated with taurine, an increase in survival rate and reduction of elevated calcium content in aortic and myocardial tissue is found in mice, which suggests that taurine's regulation of calcium flux may prevent the progression of arteriosclerosis (26).

Additionally, taurine's modulation of calcium yields a stabilizing action on systemic arterial pressure and prevents arrhythmia or ectopy in the hypertensive heart.”
[Please be sure to read Dr. Smayda’s full report – see references for web page.]

TAURINE AND TONICITY (or Osmolarity)
Also important: read Dr. Smayda’s section on tonicity and taurine’s role. He says, “Cell volume affects the most basic processes of cell function, and as such, it exerts an important role in the onset, severity, and outcome of disease.”

SIGNS OF TAURINE DEFICIENCY

Epilepsy, anxiety, hyperactivity and impaired brain function. Taurine deficiency symptoms are the same symptoms of MSG reaction – particularly a racing heart.

MAGNESIUM TAURATE

Elson M. Haas, MD writes, “ I have found that magnesium taurate, an unusual form of magnesium in which magnesium is chemically combined with the amino acid derivative taurine is particularly well-utilized and beneficial. This is because some of the same effects that one hopes to get from magnesium, such as the calming effect on the nervous system, and the strengthening effect on heart muscle, is also gotten with taurine. So, the two are synergistic together. I use it in all form of cardiac and nervous system disorders.”

TAURINE DOSAGE

Robert Crayhon, author of “The Carnitine Miracle” (p 174) when talking about Carnitine as a valuable nutrient in the control of arrhythmia, says:….. “ but the most valuable nutrients are taurine, magnesium, and fish oils, which together have successfully eliminated every case of arrhythmias that I have seen in my practice.
(Limiting sugars and caffeine and getting adequate protein is also important.)”

He suggests:

Taurine 1,000 - 3,000 mg
Magnesium 500 - 1,000 mg
EPA/DHA 1,000 mg
Carnitine 1,000 - 4,000 mg
Vitamin C 1,000 mg
Vitamin E 400 IUs
Selenium 200 mcg

Dr. Braverman says taurine is a well-absorbed amino acid with a low rate of side effects. Only patients with a tendency to increased stomach acidity have difficulty. Taking taurine with food, milk or milk of magnesia will alleviate the problem. Taurine should never be taken with aspirin. Although rare, taurine excess may cause depression.

500 mg. of taurine daily will elevate plasma taurine to one and one half times normal, which may be therapeutic in some diseases.

Those seeking natural remedies for blood pressure, diabetes, arteriosclerosis, atherosclerosis, neuropathy and anxiety can easily use 1 to 5 grams daily without significant documented risk. Doses up to 20 grams have been used IV.

FOOD SOURCES OF TAURINE

It is interesting that Dr. Braverman says (T) is not available in significant quantities in foods (mainly organ meats) and since we now think these can be toxic, are not recommended. He says food stores alone will not be sufficient in deficiency states and supplementation is necessary.

An estimated minimum requirement for the sulfur-containing group of amino acids is 13 mg/kg/day or 910 mg of these amino acids daily for the average 150 lb adult male. Some reports estimate requirements to be as high as 1400 mg/day.

On the other hand (and perhaps with newer research data)…..Dr. Smyada lists a variety of foods containing taurine which include cheese, cottage cheese, granola, wild game, oatmeal, whole milk, chocolate, yogurt eggs and more… see article for complete list and values. Most notable is cottage cheese – low in calcium and very high (1700 mg) in taurine.

SOURCES FOR SUPPLEMENTAL MAGNESIUM TAURATE & TAURINE

CardioVascular Research Ltd. offers a scientifically designed amino acid-mineral complex which insures maximal bioavilability of magnesium. Magnesium Taurate is a fully reacted complex and not simply a blend of two materials. (from the label). Magnesium taurate 125 mg. 60 capsules.

Vitamin Shoppe has it online for just under $10.00.
[www.vitaminshoppe.com]

Douglas Labs Magnesium Taurate, 400 mg (120 tablets) (Mfr: Douglas Laboratories) (Professional quality product) Four tablets contain: 400 mg Magnesium (from 5000 mg magnesium taurate complex-fully reacted) [www.gaines.com]

NEEDS dial -800.634.1380 and ask the price of Douglas Labs….since they don’t publish it online [www.needs.com] - Nutritional information and shopping site for the health conscious and environmentally sensitive person

TAURINE POWDER, Source Naturals, 3.53 oz (100 grams) for $7.00 1/4 teaspoon = 675 mg. Pure powder (crystals) no fillers. [www.iherb.com]

REFERENCES
The Healing Nutrients Within
Eric R. Braverman, MD, et.al.
Basic Health Publications
North Bergen, NJ
Revised and Third edition, 2003

Contemporary Review of Therapeutic Benefits of the Amino Acid Taurine
Richard Smayda, D.O. – 31 pages, 112 references. [www.mgwater.com]

Magnesium and Potassium in LAF, Patrick Chambers, MD
[www.afibbers.org]

Elson M. Haas M.D.
(Excerpted from Staying Healthy with Nutrition:
The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine)
The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition

© Michael Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M.
[www.healthy.net]

Magnesium: the Stress Reliever [www.healthy.net]

[www.coldcure.com]
[MSGtruth.org]
Functions of Magnesium [www.health-marketplace.com]

Here’s to Your Health,Donald J. Carrow, MD, October 1993,Taurine, The Miracle Substance

Taurine:[www.supplementwatch.com]

Taurine Research Summary [www.diabetestea.com]

Disclaimer: I am not a physician and am providing this information only as reference material to increase awareness. I have no affiliation with any of the web sites, products, or references listed. JB
RK
Re: Taurine
June 05, 2004 03:31AM
Jackie,

Very interesting & informative post, which makes me ask an elementary question: what is the difference in the taurine in magnesium taurate and straight taurine? Acutally, I don't even know if they are exactly the same element Mag. taurate gives me a headache - will straight taurine do so also?
Perhaps you can explain, or even theorize, as to why the mag. taurate does cause a headache.

Cheers, RK

PS Glad to hear your ablation has worked well!
peggyM
June 05, 2004 04:48AM
RK, just thought i would tell you, i use straight taurine from Twinlab, 200mg night and morning with my Mg glycinate, and so far no headache or any other bad effect.
NSR to you, PeggyM
Glenn Camp
June 05, 2004 06:55AM
Ok, which is it? Magnesium Taurate or Magnesium Glycinate? One day I hear mag glycinate now I read it is mag taurate we need.

I am B.A. I. C. That is 'Boy Am I Confused' ! ! !
peggyM
June 05, 2004 08:55AM
Glenn, the best i am able to figure out is, we need both. Jackie takes, i think, 50-50 Mg glycinate and Mg taurate. Me, i take Mg glycinate and straight taurine, not Mg taurate, and it seems to work just fine. By that i mean, no afib and no diarrhea from the Mg. If you type in magnesium taurate in the search function here, it will show you a great many posts from Jackie and others on this substance. Incidentally, the search thingie seems to me to work more smoothly since Hans changed ISP's.
NSR to you, PeggyM
June 05, 2004 09:58AM
Glenn - This is confusing - I don't blame you- and it's my fault.

I initially used and had success with magnesium glycinate...the type from Metagenics - doctor directed. For some reason, I began to investigate magnesium qualities which led me to the web site - coldcure.com which has an amazing amount of information on magnesium. At that site, the web host, George Eby, was extolling the virtues of magnesium taurate and claimed he stopped his AF by using the magnesium taurate that I mentioned using from Cardiovascular Research Labs. I did some corresponding with George and decided to try the taurine combo.

I had so much success with the combination of both the glycinate and the taurate forms, I made it my standard protocol...three of each type...providing over 600 mg. elemental magnesium.

Then I did more research on taurine and found that it has many properties which most likely help to keep AF under control. (All this was before the ablation).... and as I have reported many times before….. I was able to stop completely, breakthrough arrhythmia while on Flecanide – but not able to get off Flecanide and so I continued with the ablation.

That said, I still take the combo of half and half because I feel the properties contribute to wellbeing and calmness needed for heart tissue. Because of that and the many other properties of taurine that are listed in this Taurine report I just reposted, I conclude that a combination of both is helpful to my general status. George Eby thinks all he needs is the Magnesium Taurate from Cardiovascular Research.

I think I need the glycine as well because of its general detoxification properties – and we all know we need help in the detox area….this is an ongoing concern in our “toxic world.” Also glycine is calming.

So.. Glenn…confusing – maybe…. I think we have to decide for our own particular needs which form of magnesium we choose…but one thing is certain….we all need adequate stores of magnesium to be sure we don’t become deficient and if we haven’t reached optimum levels, then we need to get there by flooding the cells with lots of magnesium.

And… to add to the complexity, we need optimal stores of intracellular potassium …for the purpose PC addressed in his recent post….prolong the refractory period…..magnesium, alone, won’t do it. Potassium is the key player.

RK - You might get along with just the plain form of L-taurine. The combo is complexed to produce the compound. I can’t explain why one form over the other would or would not give you a headache. I’m not a chemist and have only basic chemistry to my credit. The headache indicates incompatibility with your biochemistry, so why even bother. If you do decide to experiment, I just looked in my NOW brand catalog and it costs $6.99 for 100, 500 mg. tablets….so if you persist, and again you get a headache, you haven’t lost much money.

Thanks for your comments about the ablation.

Jackie
peggyM
June 05, 2004 11:05AM
Hello, Jackie. Did you see Mike's post above, about taurine and depression? It seems to me that could explain the feeling of wellbeing i have noticed since starting the taurine. You remember a thread about alcohol and afib, a little while ago, and i said the desire to indulge had inexplicably left me? I used to have a drink now and then, especially at stressful times, though it has been years since i had an "alcohol problem". I just now realized that the time i started taking taurine was about the time i stopped drinking altogether, not by resolving to do so, but seemingly just not particularly wanting to do it. There is half a bottle of excellent Barbados rum in my cupboard which has been there for months, and while i do notice it now and then when i open the cupboard door, i never do seem to get around to pouring some out and drinking it. There is alcoholism all through my family, along with afib, and i have always thought it was due to self-medication of depression. If the taurine is a mild antidepressant, this little detail would make a lot of sense. Please let me know what you think about this.

Of course George Eby's whole site concerns healing his depression by taking magnesium, and i have been taking Mg for a couple years now, but the glycinate form only since last october. It's true i haven't been particularly depressed in that time, but i haven't been depressed enough to feel conscious of it for much longer than that. In the decade of my 50's i made a lot of life changes, and rid myself of most everything i had to be depressed about. Even getting afib, though initially terrifying, didn't result in depression.

Curiouser and curiouser, to quote Alice.

PeggyM
June 05, 2004 11:58PM
Peggy - Thanks for sharing your experiences with taurine and its effect on alcohol desires. Interesting.

Jackie
Richard
June 06, 2004 05:43AM
RK,

If you cannot tolerate taurine in other ways, you need to have your doctor check you molybdenum (Mo - trace mineral) levels. Mo is necessary for the sulfation pathway of taurine, and if all forms of taurine are bothering you, this could be, in part, why.

Jackie,

Thank you for presenting this post again. It was well worth re-reading.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login