Advanced

Post ablation-CCF with Dr. Natale

Posted by Jim W. 
Jim W.
Post ablation-CCF with Dr. Natale
October 26, 2003 08:38AM
Hi Everyone,

Newman, thanks for asking about me.
I've been at the beach since my ablation on Oct 17th with Dr. Natale, and just returned home today.
I wish I could say thump-thump-thump like Newman, but that isn't exactly the case with me. At this point, I remain cautiously optimistic. I have had two 12 hour bouts of AF(one on Sunday(19th) leaving Cleveland-feeling very discouraged), and another on this past Thursday. I have had many skipped beats, and many times that I thought I was going into AF. I sent two rhythms in via phone to the CC-the one on Thurs(AF) and another showing the missed or skipped beats, but no AF. Michelle says this happens in about 40% of post ablation patients and is "normal" during the 2-6 week heart irritability phase. I asked if I should go back on Norpace and she said no! She said to give it 2-3 months, but that they usually knew how things would be in 2 months.
I had wine at the beach with me, but was afraid to drink it. Guess I'll have to hold off for awhile. But at least I'm off Norpace!!!
I will report more later when I have time.

Everyone be well,
Jim W.
PC
Re: Post ablation-CCF with Dr. Natale
October 26, 2003 10:49AM
Jim,

We're all hoping for the best for you.

Since I seem to recollect that you were just about chronic, it sounds like an improvement to me, especially without meds.

Did you really find Norpace to be that bad? How much were you taking?

PC v54
njb
October 26, 2003 11:34AM
Hi Jim,

I too was waiting to see how things shook out for you. I know what a let down it can be when you get all psyched up to go through the procedure for the cure and it doesn't happen right away. But as Michelle says, give it time. Your heart is probably sore from the procedure and reacting the way it should right now. I'm up to three months post ablation tomorrow. I think I am better than I was before I went in, but still have some symptoms that concern me. Unfortunately, they couldn't get my followup scheduled until December 6th. But I will get testing November 7th, so am facing the question of wether or not I'll be one of the 2% that gets stenosis. My regular EP said that some of the textbooks actually refer to afib as atrial burden. And don't we all know it.

Keep the faith!

njb
Jim W.
October 26, 2003 01:31PM
Hi PC,

Yes, you are right, without norpace I was in AF about 80% of the time. I didn't find norpace that bad at all. I just didn't like taking drugs, but of all the ones I tried norpace worked the best with very little side effects; however I still had breakthroughs of AF every 3 to 4 days lasting 24-36hrs. The fact that these two episodes converted within 12 hrs is encouraging. We'll see how it all turns out.

I have more to report, but just do not have the time now.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Jim W.
Richard
October 26, 2003 04:10PM
Jim,

I wish you the very best, and am glad to hear that all went well. Take care of yourself, and stay stress-free.

Richard
Newman
October 26, 2003 07:39PM

Hi Jim,

I am happy to hear from you.

Michelle knows a lot about post ablation symptoms. I think it is very encouraging what she told you.

It sounds like you have been in AF about 10% of the time since your ablation without Norpace, as opposed to 80% before the ablation. This also seems to be very encouraging.

For 19 years AF has messed with my mind and mental state. It is normal for it to be messing with yours now. Hang in there and think positive.

Stay in touch and I wish you the best of luck. I'm rooting for you.

Newman
October 26, 2003 10:23PM
Hi Jim - glad to learn your Sunday afib resolved. I guess some ablation patients will fall into that category of some random afib events while the heart is in that recovery phase. Hang in there. At least you have some definitive improvement which is a very good sign. I'm pleased for you and look forward to reading your report.

Relax and enjoy life. Jackie
Mike F. V42
October 26, 2003 11:57PM
Jim,

I've got my fingers crossed for you that things continue to improve from hereon in. Stay cool,

Mike F.
Bill B
October 27, 2003 12:49AM
Hi Jim,

I was eager to hear from you as our situations are similar. I am also out of NSR more than half the time, though it is mostly flutter. And I have been using Norpace with minimal success (It used to do decently well for me until I experimented with flec this summer). I am looking at a mid-to late November ablation - perhaps for flutter and possibly for both flutter and fib.

I found it interesting they discouraged you from going back on Norpace. It seems other EPs keep their patients on some meds during the initial recovery and gradually wean them off as they exhibit signs they no longer need them. I wonder if it was because the Norpace wasn't working all that well for you, anyhow.

Are you totally drug-free? Or are you taking something to slow your heart down? How about coumadin?

In any case, I wish you the best. Things do seem to have improved for you, at least. Maybe a full cure is just round the corner.

BillB
48;A;2000

P.S. I am a big movie buff. One of my favorite scenes is from "The Afican Queen." Bogart is pulling his boat through the woods and the mud. He's got leaches all over him. He and Hepburn have just about given up. Then the camera pulls away to show the big picture. Though they cannot see it, Lake Victoria is just 200 yards away ... So keep your spirits up. Maybe soon you will be floating on Lake Victoria!! (By the way. Ignor that big German gunboat steaming in your direction!!! It doesn't help my pep talk any!)
Erling
October 27, 2003 01:12AM
My very best wishes to you, Jim! I'm holding very positive thoughts for you to soon be in permanent NSR. Erling.
Fran
October 27, 2003 08:08AM
NSR thoughts beaming your way Jim

Fran
LarryK
October 27, 2003 08:24AM
Jim, I just wanted to tell you that I also had several 10-12 hour afib events in the first 10 days after my ablation. I was so depressed about it, but after those 10 days I have not had a single event (almost 8 months now). I do get the skipped beats (which used to preceed going into afib) and for an instant I think, oh no, I'm going into afib, but then I remember that I am "cured". So hopefully your experience will be similar and in 8 months you will be afib free. Good luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login