Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Echinacea - Consumer Lab Findings

Posted by Jackie 
Echinacea - Consumer Lab Findings
March 18, 2004 06:30AM

*** New Review: Echinacea ***
------------------------------------------------------------

Echinacea is a top-selling herbal supplement in the U.S. It may help reduce the duration of colds. Eleven echinacea products were purchased and tested by ConsumerLab.com. Five failed. One had excessive lead contamination. Four had less key echinacea plant chemicals than claimed on their labels.

In this Review you will discover:
-- Which echinacea products failed or passed our tests and why
-- How to pick and use echinacea supplements
-- Potential concerns and cautions

The Review is available at [www.consumerlab.com] .

*** Recalls & Warnings ***
Carol A.
Re: Echinacea - Consumer Lab Findings
March 18, 2004 08:10AM
Jackie,

I copied and pasted that site and it didn't work....

Carol A.
March 18, 2004 08:45AM
[www.consumerlab.com]

Carol - works for me... sorry I don't know what to suggest.

Jackie
loha
March 18, 2004 09:23PM
She probably had also copied the "." that you wisely had separated from the URL by a space:

"[www.consumerlab.com] ."

Happens quite frequently.
Best is not to add a punctuation after an URL, as you did in your second post.
Carol A.
March 19, 2004 12:45AM
Thanks, no problem now.

While I have your attention, Jackie, could I ask you a question about fish oil supplements.

I remember that you recommended taking 6 grams a day; 2 with each meal.

I take Enzymatic Therapy Eskino-3 Naturally Stable Fish Oil . It says serving size is 3 softgels which provides 600 mg of 260 mg. EPA and 165 mg DHA.

Obviously you must be taking a different kind of fish oil.

Question: How many would I need to take of this fish oil based on your recommendation? Seems like an awful lot....

Incidentally, I thought your post about diaphragmatic adjustment very on target. I am making an appointment with a kinesiologist today.

My mother used to constantly complain about discomfort and pressure under her "rib cage." She had a hiatal hernia. I am wondering if there is a genetic component to the placement of the vagus nerve with respect to the esophagus, diaphragm, etc. The last gi study that was done did not show that I had a hiatal hernia. I have been told over the years -long before I developed afib - by various internists that I had a "very sensitive vagus nerve." (For one thing, I have always passed out every time I vomit. Therefore, I am terrified of getting any kind of stomach flu, because I dread falling unconscious)

I wonder if there are exercises that one can do to strengthen and reposition the diaphragm. For example how about stretching backward over the large balls at the gym?

Carol A.
March 19, 2004 06:35AM
Carol -

On the EPA that I take as directed from my FM MD -

The Metagenics product is EPA-DHA Extra Strength and the label reads
Natural Marine Lipid Concentrate 2 grams (from 2 capsules)
EPA - 600mg
DHA 400 mg. both in 2 capsules

Another excellent soure which I use on a rotational basis comes from
Carlson Labs
Norwegian Salmon Oil
1000 mg. in one softgel

And the third type is from Natural Factors brand called
Omega Factors- Going from memory here - with about the same dosage equivalency and all about the same price.

I take six grams a day.... I've been told to take 9 but sometimes I just don't get that many in. I've been directed to do this to treat the phospholipid layer of cells - increase insulin sensitivity - reduce fibrinogen levels and keep the blood cells from sticking together since I didn't want to risk a clot while not on Coumadin.

When you have finished your Enzymatic Therapy brand, it would be worth considering taking one capsule that contains a gram.... With yours, and only 600 in 3 capsules....or 200 a capsule you will need to take 5 to get one gram.... 1,000 mg equals one gram.

90% of the population is Omega 3 deficient. The importance of Omgea 3 Essential Fatty Acids should not be overlooked.

On the diaphragm adjustment - it was like day and night after my very first treatment....

The article by Dr. Rochiltz indicates that infants are born with the diaphragm problems and that if the stomach was "pulled" down into place, a lifetime of ailments could be avoided. In your case, while you may not have a protruding stomach through the diaphragm, it could be a placement that has always been "too high" and any amount of stomach distension or postural complication just could be your trigger. I'm sure that's exactly what happens with the vomiting and the position of your diaphragm as well as the vagus nerve.

There could be a genetic tendency toward body type and placement, but I recently saw in the book, Biochemical Individuality, drawings of various sizes of livers and stomachs. There is no one standard size or even shape of either organ.... howthey fit into the space you have in your abdominal cavity would certainly affect what happens to the vagus nerve.
That was one of the key points in this article.

I have been shown various maneuvers to do if I sense the diaphragm is out of position.... massage therapists can also check placement and make adjustments. It would be interesting to ask either the DC or the MT about specific exercises to maintain position.

Good luck, Carol - I hope you find as much relief with the adjustment that I did....remember,though, it took at least 5 treatments for it to become stable...and even now, occasionally, when I am checked, it is slightly displaced and needs treatment.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login