Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low Sodium V8

Posted by Billboy 
Billboy
Low Sodium V8
March 09, 2004 02:57AM
Does anyone know who carries this product in Canada, specifically B.C.?
peggy
Re: Low Sodium V8
March 09, 2004 03:29AM
Bill, is Campbell's brand v8 available at all in BC? Because if it is, the place that sells it can probably order the lowsodium kind as well. I'm in Maine, so can't help otherwise.
PeggyM
RK
March 09, 2004 03:35AM
Billboy,

I live in Vancouver and have not found anyone who carries the low-sodium type. Perhaps if we start nagging our groceries/supermarkets they will bring it in.

I go to Seattle or Bellingham quite often & bring a batch each time. This is not really a good method!

RK
peggy
March 09, 2004 05:00AM
Bill and RK, i went to www.netgrocer.com and found they still carry the lowsodium v8. They do not identify it as such, but where you see 2 items side by side, both called V8 juice, notice that the right hand one has a light green cap. Click on the button marked info and you get a picture clearly identified as lowsodium v8. They charge $3.59 for a 46 oz bottle, too high a price in my opinion. Other than that, try asking the manager of whatever store carries the regular v8 if you can order a case of the lowsodium kind. Maybe that will work, i hope so.
PeggyM
March 09, 2004 05:11AM
How about healthfood stores? Any within a reasonable distance? Perhaps they could be convinced to order a case at a time for you.

Just a thought. Jackie

The other thought is the green food products that you mix with water. Don't taste as nice as V-8 and I haven't checked the labels for potassium values, but they are available by email, don't cost alot in shipping because of weight (you add the water) and might be a viable option.

Kyogreen is one label...from Kyolic.... I'll try to get a label ingredient list later on.

Jackie
Jean
March 09, 2004 09:46AM
Better yet, Call the company and ask them where you can buy it in your area
Jean
March 09, 2004 09:57AM
heres the phone number for the campbells soup company 1-800-257-8443
Adrian
March 09, 2004 12:27PM
I get R.W. Knudsens low sodium veggie juice from Savon foods in Edmonton. I thought they were affilliated with overwaitea in BC. Another Jim Pattison enterprise.

Adrian
peggy
March 09, 2004 01:07PM
Adrian, i bet that's why you don't like it. Try the Campbell's brand. All due respect to Knudson's, i don't like theirs either, and the K content is not as high.
PeggyM
Adrian
March 09, 2004 02:48PM
I've not found any Campbells yet, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Adrian
peggy
March 09, 2004 02:56PM
calling the company seems like the best bet to me, see Jeanne's post above for the number.
PeggyM
Ella
March 09, 2004 04:39PM
I tried R.W. Knudsens Very Weggie juice, it has sea salt added, I did not like it and it gave me a metallic taste in my mouth.

I asked my health food store if they would order some Campbell's low sodium V8, they refused!

Ella in BC
Jerry
March 09, 2004 11:53PM
Try NEVER to buy foods--especially acidic juices--in metal cans.
Fran
March 10, 2004 12:57AM
Why not

GET A JUICER and make your own. That way you can use fresh veggies, add as little or no sea salt as you would like, ommit the additives and get a whopping ammount of K as well as all the other minerals and vitamins. You could try out all sorts of different veggies - so it does not have to be tomato based, or just read off a list of the ingredients on the bottle and make your own. Then if you were successful at it you could go into business..... Seems there is quite a market in Canada.

Fran
Ella
March 10, 2004 04:51AM
Jerry
Knudsens come in a glass bottle, you are right I never use any canned goods

Ella
March 10, 2004 06:33AM
My only comment on Campbells is they add a bit of sugar to the blend.

I was sorry to see that on the label. All natural is so much better.... and of course in glass. Much comes in plastic.

Cans are required to have a coating which prevents the bare metal from coming in contact with the product inside.... that doesn't mean the integrity of the coating will remain intact. That's why never buy a damaged can.

Another thought - but expensive outlay initially; economical over several years..... a top-notch blender will allow you to make your own V-8 style juice and it is actually better because the pulp is also consumed.

It's a bit thick or chunkier than strained juice but you get the additional benefit of all the nutrients in the skin of fruit used.

I have various combinations of veggies that I like and sometimes I add half a lemon or half a granny smith apple just for a flavor variation.

A Kitchen-Aid blender on sale here costs about $99. The ultimate blender is VitaMix.... this takes the ingredients down to a very fine "mesh" of solution.

If raw juicing doesn't work because of digestive problems, then it can be heated slightly and then cooled...or eaten warm like soup. Heating will destroy many of the naturally occuring enzymes which is the value of blending your own juice from scratch.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login