Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Some improvements

Posted by Adrian 
Adrian
Some improvements
March 08, 2004 08:43PM
Hi all, I have been wanting to post about improvements in my situation but wasn't sure of the correct way to put it. My normal afib pattern for the last 1.5 yrs. has been 1-2 days normal 2-3 days afib. About 60% of the time in afib.

Other than using nicotine gum ( 6 days) to extend my nsr periods, 3 days was the longest. I'm happy to report that I have been NSR for 6 days now without using the gum. Something is different this time too. I feel much calmer and at peace with myself.

Since the results of my hair analysis 2 months ago showed very low in copper, cromium,vanadium, boron, and manganese, I have been supplementing those elements and a few more. Namely Selenium, Taurine and Acidophilus. These are in addition to the Good multi, Fish oil, vitamin B'sand E'sthat I've been taking for more than a year. I also stopped drinking ww about 2 weeks ago but I am still getting over 1000 mg per day of Mg. from various sources.

I've been eating paleo like for about a year and drink virtually no alcohol except for an occasional glass of wine.

What caused the improvement??

Is it the addition of copper, cromium,vanadium, boron, Selenium and manganese?

A low hair copper level may indicate a deficiency in the tissues, particularly relating to a deficiency of the major metal-enzymes in the liver, which are involved in drug detoxification and steroid hormone metabolism. Is steroid hormone metabolism related to aldosteronism??

Was improvement due to stopping the WW??

Perhaps the bicorbonate solution was aiding in metabolic alkalosis and the resultant K+ and Mg++ urine wasting. I was buferring with lemon juice as per PC's suggestion but was it effective?

Is it just about time that all the steps I have taken to improve my health situation are finally paying off??

Could be. It took me a lifetime of abuse to get Afib. It's not unreasonable to expect a long time for repair.

Perhaps all of the above.

Perhaps I'm being premature in thinking that I've reached the next level of improvement. Time will tell but I just felt the need to crow a bit. After all it really has been the first sign of improvement for me and 60% at that. I'm just hoping to stay nsr for 1 more night etc.

Thanks for Listening

Peace

Adrian
peggy
Re: Some improvements
March 08, 2004 11:55PM
Adrian, indulge my curiosity, please, are you taking any kind of potassium supplement, whether in lowsodium V8 juice form or some other?

Real glad to hear you are feeling better, wherever it is coming from.

PeggyM
john
March 09, 2004 04:53AM
Adrian, I second what Peggy says. I fortunately don't have episodes that are as frequent or as long as yours. But, from mid Jan to the end of Feb, I was having about 3 episodes a week, although all were real short, in the 2 to 3 hour range. I started taking additional potassium and found that the flutters have gone away almost completely, where they were a nightly visitor during the bad spell. Try it!

John
March 09, 2004 07:22AM
Adrian - this is good news. Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking yes on the copper and selenium issue.

With the WW, PC had warned quite some time ago that the high bicarbonate level could lower potassium stores...and hence his lowering of the pH with lemon juice. I'm sure he did it much more accurately than I did. But, my experience was initially the WW helped, and then I began to get more afib...and Erling reasoned it was from the bicarbonate level reducing potassium. Eventually, I must have gotten the pH low enough so that it didn't pull out potassium..... but this brings up a very important issue:

The need for all of us to 1) make sure we have enough magnesium for cellular functioning and 2) make sure our potassium levels are adequate.
Potassium is the major player but magnesium is the facilitator (or enabler.)

As Peggy says V-8, but that is only a small portion of the K needed daily.

I'm posting separately some ideas I've been kicking around ever since Hans and PC have again pointed out on the CR how aldosterone will ultimately create low potassium.... if you haven't read that CR thread, be sure to go there. It's very significant wrt afib.

Meanwhile, it sounds as if the peace and calm you are experiencing at long last have developed as a result of your diligence in paying attention to detail. Also... the fact that these remedies and adjustments take more time that we want to recognize.... we all expect instant results and it is my own experience that cellular changes take anywhere from three to six months and possibly even longer.

Thanks for this very good news. Certainly, your story should inspire other afibbers to be patient and consistent with good practices.

Be well, Jackie
PC
March 09, 2004 07:46AM
Adrian,

I can't help but think that the ww was the culprit. The chronology is too coincidental.

I'm scheduled to have some blood work done. This includes HCO3- (and CRP amongst other things). I've continued drinking neutralized ww and am anxious to see the results. You'll be the second to know.

I've always wondered how much the more bioavailable hydrated Mg++ helped v. just the enhanced hydration.

PC
Richard
March 09, 2004 02:20PM
Adrian,

That's great news, and I wish you continued success. It sure is a lot of work, isn't it. Taking care of oneself, almost seems like a full-time job in the beginning, but hopefully it will permanently pay off.

Although, I agree with PC, I ran across this article a few days ago, and found this bit of interest.

When cysteine is not sufficiently available to create taurine, or if vanadium is not present, the client may become susceptible to heart arrhythmia, and perhaps seizures, as seizure activity takes place when taurine is seriously lacking in the brain.

Since taurine can't go through the brain barrier, rather than suggesting taurine, we have found that it works better to suggest cysteine and vanadium as the nutrients that will allow the brain to make its own taurine. Often this simple measure can prevent further seizures, as long as the biofield of the brain has not been dislocated by a fall or a blow to the head, or compromised by aspartame toxicity. In that case the taurine will not be able to access the area where it is needed, and other approaches would need to be considered, such as cranial-sacral therapy.

[www.balancingcenter.com]

I had not read about vanadium being for this purpose, before. Anyway, keep up the good work, and keep us informed of your progress.

Richard
Adrian
March 09, 2004 03:51PM
Well I didn't make it. Afib last night about 2:00 am. I new I should have stayed quiet :-) As soon as I go normal I'll be starting over again, day 1.

Peggy, I try to eat lots of veggies during the day but some days are better than others. Low sodium Veggie juice is part of my arsenal but I don't drink it regularly. It tastes terrible. I much prefer the taste of the regular V8 but it has more sodium than Potassium. 625/520 mg. I will make it my intention to consume more of the low sodium stuff after all, ( think tina turner ) what's taste got to do with it?

Another supplement that I had been taking (but I ran out of it ) was DSF rom nutri-west for adrenal support. Being as that Aldosterone comes from the adrenals, How would that work. Pro or con or ~.

This may be a question for the CR but how does one go about reducing aldosterone naturally? The articles that I read were talking about resection and surgery.

Thanks for your responses.

Adrian
peggy
March 09, 2004 04:01PM
Adrian, i'm sorry the lowsodium v8 tastes bad to you. It tastes ok to me, but then i never did drink the regular so i have nothing to compare it to. Would a a squirt of hot sauce or lemon juice in it help? I probably sound like a broken record pushing this stuff, but i feel a lot better since i started drinking it. Have you got the equipment to juice your own vegetables? There is nothing magic about Campbell's method, and you could probably make juice you liked better. Adding half an apple helps in these juicer concoctions. NSR to you, Adrian.
PeggyM
Richard
March 09, 2004 09:59PM
Adrian,

You could possibly add the NuSalt (I think that's what Jackie said), for a saltier flavor and even more added K.

Richard
March 10, 2004 11:39AM
Adrian - That's really too bad. As one other poster recently said....never get cocky. That's exactly what I thought when I recently went back into afib. Such a downer.

Anyway.... with the low-salt version of V-8 - you can try the NuSalt... that may suit you...or try this.... squeeze in some fresh lemon or lime juice to taste. Pretend you are enjoying a bloody bull sans Tequilla.... or....
Try some hot sauce.... if Tabasco is too hot, there is green Tabasco which is much more mild but still tasty.

You can do this, Adrian. And remember - V8 isn't the only food...it's just convenient.

Again, I'm really sorry to hear your latest.

Jackie
Adrian
March 10, 2004 03:15PM
I think that's a good idea Richard. Of course I can't leave well enough alone so I might try mixing Celtic sea salt with the nosalt 50/50 and see how that goes. mmm I wonder if my family will notice the differance?

Adrian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login