Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calming My Heart

Posted by Jackie 
Calming My Heart
February 15, 2004 03:03AM
This post is long.

Hans suggested I post it for those who are interested in the topic. I offer no medical advice. This is simply what worked for me based on what was directed by my doctors and my own experimentation. If anyone can glean a nugget or two that is helpful information, I’m happy to have offered my findings. Jackie

CALMING MY HEART

This is my story..... How I calmed my heart prior to ablation…and after.
Three distinct components blended into one harmonious remedy worked for me…Mind, Body and Spirit.

I was already tuned in to holistic healing from research on my other conditions, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, candidiasis, hypoadrenalism and hypothyroidism, so I just added atrial fibrillation to my list of search topics and added more targeted nutrients directed by my doctor, but other healing modalities are also involved.

To summarize in a few words what I think helped me the most, I’d say magnesium, taurine, potassium, energy work and acceptance of a higher power and my own spirituality. Almost a year after I began this calming quest, I know I am not the same person who set out on the journey.

Background

My first afib event occurred at age 59 and lasted for about an hour and a half. Over the next eight years, the events increased in frequency until January 2003 when I began experiencing daily or every other-day events that were lasting over 20 hours.

At that time and after two trips to the ER, six weeks apart with 3 and 4 day stays in the hospital for breakthrough arrhythmia while on Flecanide, and involving a TEE and cardioversion at one visit, it was suggested that I give serious thought to ablation. I refused the attempt to reintroduce a beta blocker since I had taken myself off Toprol XL six months prior and felt much better without it although the event frequency remained the same. Clearly, drugs were not the answer for me in controlling afib.

Ablation. What I had never, ever wanted to do and wouldn’t even consider previously. Yet, I knew I couldn’t go on with this pattern every six weeks. I was on 200 mg. a day of Flecanide and was feeling the effects of the double dose – fatigue and lethargy. I had instructions to take an additional 100 mg. every time afib began…so I was taking the extra dose every day or every other day. I was very nervous about the high dosage.

During my consultation appointment at the Cleveland Clinic with EP, Andrea Natale, MD, the EP nurse told me that the more calm my heart at the time of ablation, the better my chances would be for a successful and calm heart after the ablation. I thought at the time, “well good luck. If I could keep my heart calm, I wouldn’t have just had two 3 day sessions in the ER with runaway afib.”

Nevertheless, I took the comment “to heart” and collaborated with my functional medicine MD (Dr. Sprecher) about the best approach to do just that…calm my heart and hopefully cure this condition so an ablation wouldn’t be necessary. That was my ultimate goal. This was in early April, 2003. I was assigned an ablation date of November 12. Six months of waiting and six months to affect a “cure.”

The Calming Plan

Dr. Sprecher suggested I work on each facet of healing – mind, body and spirit. I pulled out all the stops.

In addition to the already lengthy list of targeted nutrients she directed, I consulted with a homeopath, a psychologist who does mind, body, spirit work, an MD who does acupuncture and has a Doctor of Chinese Medicine degree, several massage therapists, and a chiropractic physician who does energy work based on Applied Kinesiology. And, I had the support of fellow afibbers on the forum offering suggestions and current ablation research. Erling Waller, Jim W., Stan B, Lorraine, Hans…everyone helped me sort out ablation facts. This was invaluable support.

The homeopathic approach was a bust. I quickly fired him. The psychologist was viewing me as long-term income; my gut instinct rejected this approach; I fired him. I had about 20 acupuncture treatments that were calming, but didn’t seem to help, although I learned a lot about Chinese Medicine and energy between sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. I can’t say it didn’t help, but it didn’t stop the breakthrough arrhythmia.

It was kismet that I found the chiropractor who does energy work. A friend was seeing him for neck pain which he traced to blocked emotions and negative energy. The bells went off and I made an appointment. I knew I had a lot of stuffed emotions and stress and knew instinctively that issue was part of my problem. I was drawn to that connection the minute she started describing his work.

I began NET treatments (Neuro Emotional Technique) which includes Applied Kinesiology, with Dr. Jordan the first of July (having wasted far too much valuable time with the other approaches) and saw him twice a week for about six weeks.

Various conditions were discovered and addressed through NET wherein locked emotional responses called Neuro Emotional Complexes (emotional reality) are detected with reflex responses or patterns…much like the Pavlov-dog response. Negative emotional responses (either conscious or unconscious) can manifest as symptoms and the result is ill health and imbalance. Neuropeptides carry emotions throughout the body. NET seeks to normalize neurological imbalances using physical corrections and removes the blocks to the body’s natural healing process.

One very significant finding was a displaced diaphragm that was causing hiccoughs that set off afib immediately. Once the diaphragm was repositioned and it held in that position (about five treatments), I no longer triggered afib in that manner. Hiccoughs are a spasm of the diaphragm and, attributed to magnesium deficiency.

Concomitant with that, Erling Waller, who had previously attempted to get me to understand the importance of magnesium deficiency by sending me very convincing evidence on the subject, began again to hammer away at intractable magnesium deficiency. All the while I thought I was taking enough magnesium…400 mg. a day plus that from my food. I continued to read the data.

Finally, I had a revelation based on a posting from Carol on the BB saying she increased her magnesium up to 800 or 1,000 mg daily and had stopped her afib. I tried increasing gradually while I was getting the emotional energy work from Dr. Jordan. After the first session, I went 5 days without an event. This was a record. Then, I went a week, then 13 days and by the end of August…breakthrough arrhythmia was not a common occurrence. If it happened, it was short…sometimes 2 hours or less. Previously, I was always afibbing for around or over 20 hours. The record was 39 hours before converting on my own.

In my case, Erling was right about magnesium deficiency. My magnesium glycinate dosage was at 800 mg. daily. I also made a conscious effort to use only unsoftened water for drinking and cooking. While I have a well with hard water and a separate spigot in another area for unsoftened water, I admit to frequently being lazy and just using what was handy. After reading that water softened with sodium (either well water or municipal water) removes magnesium and calcium, I resolved not to use the water produced from our in-house softening system and to take 100% advantage of our naturally occurring spring water.

Additionally, Dr. Jordan found my thyroid was low by AK testing, even though my labs indicated, normal, and added an additional support supplement for thyroid along with homeopathics for heart and emotions…. anger, repression, fear, fear of abandonment, disappointment, sadness - all of these blocked emotions he uncovered and released while doing the energy work. This was the mind/body part of the triad. It served to force me to acknowledge emotional stresses I had been suppressing for years and to deal with the reality of eliminating the causes of the stress. This is an ongoing project.

Negative energy is very damaging. One can’t attain or maintain health in its presence. I began to play constantly audio tapes given to me by friends who knew of my journey. They were the smart ones who understood better than I about the mind/body/spirit connection. The tapes by Carolyn Myss - “Why People Don’t Heal and How they Can” along with Wayne Dyer’s “A Spiritual Solution for Every Problem,” became my favorites because they spoke to me the most in terms of what I needed to address. Books that helped shape my thoughts were, The Art of Effortless Living, Full Catastrophe Living, and Power versus Force.

I had always stayed away from the spiritual aspect because I lumped spiritualism and religion together. Having had a very traumatic experience with religion early on in my life, I shied away from anything religious, but suddenly these tapes (and again, Erling- my mentor) opened my mind to spiritual healing and awareness. I got comfortable with the thought that I was a spiritual being and recognized that I had denied myself this privilege most all of my adult life. This was quite a revelation because I had always prided myself in being open minded; yet I was totally closed to spirituality. But once, I let the thought develop and I became comfortable, my life and condition began to change and all for the better.

By mid-September, the “new me” was afib free but still on Flecanide and I decided to wean off. Time was running out… I hoped to cancel the ablation, but in less than a week, I went into a nasty afib event. I chickened out. Went back on the Flecanide and focused on getting a calm heart (again) by the time of ablation.

Both Dr. Sprecher and Dr. Jordan worked to honor my ablation commitment and to help me become comfortable with it. They both insisted that if I had doubts or fears that ablation wouldn’t work or the outcome wouldn’t be good…it wouldn’t be. (You are what you think.) We worked very hard on my mindset.

By the ablation date, I had been afib free for two months (but still on the drug). I faced all my concerns about the ablation and concentrated on thinking nothing but positive thoughts about the outcome. With the help of the energy work, I became comfortable and at peace with having the procedure I never wanted. I even accepted the Coumadin issue.

All thoughts were about the positive outcome and I developed a mantra which I said anytime my mind began to waver or I had negative thoughts: “Manifest Peace in My Heart”….. either out loud if I were alone, or to myself, otherwise. I did this while placing one hand on my solar plexus. Sometimes I positioned my hands differently or if I were driving, I just held on to the steering wheel and focused on breathing through my heart with positive energy and positive thoughts. I developed a whole script of “manifests” that I said then and continue to say now. I connect with my spiritual being many times a day. Any time I feel my thoughts drifting into negative territory or I feel stressed, I become centered again with my focus or grounded by my mantras.

Coupled with this mantra ritual, I incorporated my use of essential therapeutic essential oils from plants known to create cellular energy and possess strong antioxidant properties. This was just a natural complement.

I had an energy session with Dr. Jordan about 4 days prior to the ablation to eliminate any negative energy or fears and to create only positive energy and acceptance. He pronounced that I tested very strong and was ready for the procedure. I repeated the sequence, visiting him again 4 days after ablation for more clearing.

The night before the ablation, I was calm and peaceful. I went to bed with my “manifests” in place and slept well until early morning. Normally, the hour’s drive to the hospital would have been an anxious one…. I was very calm and I said the manifest-peace-in-my-heart mantra constantly. I had absolutely no fear or anxiety at any time before, during or after the procedure.

On a physical level, in mid-September, I began working out more days and more intensely. This was difficult with the burden of the extra Flecanide but I kept pushing. By the time of ablation, I was doing well; my stamina had increased and I felt stronger, overall. I hated to think I would have to lay off during the recovery period.

Additionally during this time of no afib but still on Flecanide, I was able to do some things that had previously triggered afib….. bend over from the waist for an extended period of time; lie or sleep on my left side; lie down flat in bed the minute immediately and even some of the former triggers such as desert or cheese did not bring on afib.

About three weeks prior to ablation, I took increased doses of Vitamin C (2 grams daily) with bioflavonoids to reduce trauma effects and inflammation. I was given that instruction with another surgery. Thought it couldn’t hurt with this procedure. And I stopped the use of ginkgo, Vitamin E and the occasional aspirin, since I was going to be on Coumadin two weeks before ablation and at least 6 weeks after.

By the date of ablation, I was comfortable with taking 800 mg. of magnesium glycinate a day. The brand I chose was Metagenics. I took it to the hospital with me and planned to take it at my first opportunity after I was free to move around. My reasoning was that stress depletes magnesium and I had no reason to think that my body would not consider ablation a huge stressor.

I took 200 mg. of the MgG every couple of hours until it was time for discharge. I also took regular doses of Vitamin C with bioflavonoids (500 mg.) to reduce inflammation and a natural, plant-based product called Phytoprofen. The reasoning was to control as much inflammation as possible.

Of course, I did not share any of this with the hospital staff. However, they knew I was using the therapeutic essential oils of plants because of the lovely, calming fragrance and effect of Lavender oil…just entering my room made the staff wonder what the wonderful “smell” was. Some came in to get a “fix” and left. It was fun. My room mate who had terminal liver failure found it especially comforting.

Once home, I continued my daily supplement routine but added increased amounts of natural anti-inflammatory plant-based products….like quercetain, bromelain and tumeric. And I maintained the higher C dose for six weeks.

Additionally, I continued with all the good blood thinning support like Omega 3 oils even though I was on Coumadin. I was only taking CoQ10 at 100 mg. when I came home, but soon realized with the problems created by Lipitor, I needed much more so I increased it to 500 a day.

The Results

From the time of the ablation to present. I have been afib free.

2 months before ablation – on Flecanide - no breakthrough afib.
2 months after ablation on Flecanide & Coumadin – no afib
1 month off both drugs – no afib – added Nattokinase for anticlotting
3 months post ablation: Calm heart. No Drugs. No afib.
I have no residual symptoms of afib or the ablation.

In the first two months post ablation, I had 9 PAC’s and six of those beats were a pattern that felt as if it would progress to afib. It did not. While off all drugs, I get an occasional single missed beat or a thud. Nothing else.

When I work out, my elevated heart rate returns quickly to normal. Occasionally when I lie down for the night, I feel a jittery feeling in my chest, but my heart beat is normal. I just do my mantras and fall asleep. My sleep is deep and uninterrupted.

I take no prescription drugs except my natural hormone patch and cream.
My last official blood pressure reading was 114/68 - Pulse 76. At rest, my pulse is around 65.

My heart is peaceful. I’m grateful. I thank God, Dr. Natale and all the wonderful people on this forum for helping me reach this goal. Your support is invaluable and very much appreciated.

Thank you with all my heart! (and soul) Jackie Burgess

67 vagal/ablated

Below is an abbreviated list of my nutritional supplements.

Diet – Modified Paleo type diet – whole foods, organic when available, cooked from scratch, no bad fats. Moderate portions. No sugar, no caffeine, no alcohol. 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. Hydrate with unsoftened water…in abundance and at least 16 oz. a day of the Waller Water.

In addition to my Core Supplements program, here’s what I took to calm my heart.

800 mg. Magnesium glycinate – reduced to 600 mg. one month post-ablation
1 teaspoon, bulk taurine – reduced to ½ teaspoon one month post-ablation
300 mg herbal potassium,
100 mg CoQ10, 500 mg. after ablation
Mitrochondrial Recuscitate (Metagenics product)
Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids – fish oil…. 6 grams
2 grams Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids
100 mcg. Selenium
400 IU Vitamin E in the tocotrienol form – stopping prior to ablation
120 mg. Ginkgo Biloba – again – stopping 3 weeks prior to ablation
Phytoprofen – plant based anti-inflammatory product
Cholarest - plant based lipid lowering
Min Tran Food-based minerals for heart support

Many other daily nutrients are supplied in a combination form in preparations targeting specific systems…. and for conserving space, I’ve only listed the systems addressed by supplementation. (you don’t want to see the list!)
Anti-inflammatory
Antioxidant
Lipid lowering
Methylation
Glucose handling
Probiotics
Digestive enzymes
Proteolytic enzymes
Thyroid support.

By early April, 04, the results of my post ablation labs will be evaluated and we will be making adjustments in supplement protocol so I can cut down or eliminate where cellular testing indicates I’ve reached proper levels.

The End.
peggy
Re: Calming My Heart
February 15, 2004 03:23AM
Zowie. thank you, Jackie.
Peggy
Carol
February 15, 2004 03:55AM
Jackie,
Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. Really.

I am grateful to you for being so open and "up front" about the various paths taken during your journey to health.

With respect to mind-body approaches, my psychotherapist is a Neo-Reichian (Wilhelm Reich). Similar to what you describe, this, too, focuses on blocked emotions as manifested in breathing. He also uses Buddhist approaches and this has introduced me to meditation and immersion in Buddhist views of existence. It is a powerful combination. I happen to think that the longer those negative emotions have been in place, the harder it is to dislodge/eradicate them and the longer the therapy.

I hope that there is nothing final about "The End" of your post!

Again thank you, dear lady.

Carol
Carol
February 15, 2004 08:50AM
Jackie,
P. S. Did you have a reason for not switching from mg. glycinate to magnesium taurate?
Carol
Richard
February 15, 2004 09:10AM
Jackie,

I can't thank you enough for what you have contributed on this forum. As Carol so nicely put it; "Dear lady" is what you are in every sense of the words. You have been blessed, and then you take the time to share your blessings. You help make this forum feel as if it's an extended family. Your kindness and knowledge abound. I am very happy for your success, not only in regards to your ablation and being AF free, but in finding your spiritual side, for without this, our journey in life is meaningless. You have touched my soul to its very depths, Jackie, and I thank you for that, as well.

Richard
David Price
February 15, 2004 10:05AM
Jackie,

I'm on one of my occasional visits, and your post has made me realise I should be a more frequent visitor. 'Calming My Heart' is exactly the phrase that best descibes what I think we all try (or should all try) to do.

Like you, I've found success in a combination of mind/body/pills.... I hope it'll be some time (if ever) before I'll need to trouble the surgeons.

I'm meeting my cardiologist tomorrow. I'll tell him about the Mg Glycinate (I don't expect him to accept it as a factor); I'll tell him about the meditation (ditto); and I'll ask if it isn't time to switch to Flec on demand (my episodes are so rare and almost never last more than a couple of minutes).

I wonder if there isn't a 'trajectory' to all our efforts to address this problem. We panic, we worry, we take whatever pills they give us. We then re-assess our lifestyles, and we look much wider than the actual disease to the cause of our dis-ease.

I now know, deep inside, when my heart/soul/psyche is likely to trigger an episode, and when it isn't - and I know it has very little to do with the meds I'm prescribed. And I also know when it's 'calm'. That single awareness is the biggest reason why I now feel like I've got a handle on this thing, finally.

And I would urge all new sufferers of Vagal AF to think about their health in the widest possible sense.

Thanks again, Jackie.

Best wishes,
david
Pam
February 15, 2004 10:44PM
Jackie:

Thank you for a wonderful story; and congratulations on your "well deserved" cure. You certainly have approached the problem from every angle assessing the success and/or failure of every effort. Your diligence has paid off. If anything good can be said about afib, you found the spiritual side of yourself; and it's too bad it takes something like "The Monster" to get in touch.

Best Regards, Jackie

Pam
Elaine
February 16, 2004 12:04AM
Thanks Jackie

I also feel you are the 'heart' of this group. You have so much to give and give freely. I'm just starting the journey and will hold on to your experiences to guide me through. I'm so glad you found your way out. Your success can lead the rest of us and encourage us to find our way out too.

Elaine
February 16, 2004 02:34AM
Carol - thanks for your kind note and input on negative emotions. I agree. and I'm not finished with my project.... I'm a work in process as the saying goes. I will probably evolve right into my next life. I'm looking forward to the experience.

Regarding why I didn't switch to the magnesium taurate before ablation..... I had been taking taurine separately for six months prior and once the succes began, I didn't want to rock the boat. I bought the CardioVascular Labs magnesium taurate, and once I was home and feeling stable, I began to introduce one or two capsules a day until I gradually was up to half of each form - 4 of each.

This prompted my post on the properties of taurine.

Dr. Sprecher indicates I should continue with the glycine for it's calming properties as well, so for now, at least, I won't be going to 100% MgT

It is not my intention to stop participating in the BB. I'm very stimulated by the fibrosis research project and will continue to post topics for consideration. As long as I can help others, I'll stick around.

Again, thanks for your post.

Sincerely, Jackie
February 16, 2004 02:41AM
Thank you, Richard, for your message. I do feel blessed and also compelled to share with others...I'm following my passion in this regard.

I, too, feel as if this is an extended family. You are all charms on my bracelet of life....everyone has been so kind and helpful along the way of this journey. This is the true blessing. I would love to find a way to meet everyone personally to celebrate our individual achievements. Perhaps an annual convention of afibbers. Wouldn't that be a trip!

In some small way, if I've contributed to making a difference for anyone, then my mission is being accomplished.

It warms my heart to think of the possibilities.

Be well, Richard.

Jackie
February 16, 2004 02:49AM
David, how lovely of you to correspond across the miles. Isn't cyberspace a wonder? Before this age of computer technology, I'd never have had the support and input that I've received from this forum. Thank you and everyone.

I totally agree that everyone needs to address the introspective awareness you mention. Once I allowed that aspect into my life, my afib began to diminish by leaps and bounds. The heart truly is the seat of the emotions.

I am happy for you that addressing this allows you to be master of your mind, body and spirit and in control of your afib. That's quite an accomplishment. Good job.

Fixing afib isn't just about a pill or a procedure. It goes much deeper that that.

Best regards to you, David.

Sincerely, Jackie
February 16, 2004 02:51AM
Pam - I agree 100% but most of the time with people like me who are in denial, it takes something really big or serious to get their attention. I'm glad I decided to become enlightened. The result was worth the effort.

Jackie
February 16, 2004 02:55AM
Elaine - I would like to think I can help you and others with the journey. I'm certainly going to try. In hindsight, I if I'd have started in reverse with the spiritual and the emotional issues, I probably could have shaved off several years of frustration. But, I guess it was a lesson I was supposed to learn.

As David said in his post.... everyone should think about their health in the widest possible sense. That's very wise advice.

Be well, Elaine.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login