Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kinds of Mag?

Posted by Stevie 
Stevie
Kinds of Mag?
October 20, 2003 01:34PM
Is there a difference between magnesium glycinate and chelated magnesium? If so which is better? I have been able to find chelated magnesium at Whole Foods here in the SF Bay area but not "glycinate". Since Whole Food is probably one of the largest purveyors of vitamins in the country - if I can't find "glycinate" there where can I find it? Thanks!
Richard
Re: Kinds of Mag?
October 20, 2003 03:13PM
Stevie,

Does Whole Foods carry Carlsons? On the back of the bottle it would say Mg. glycinate, with reference to the Albion Lab process. Usually, large health food chains carry this brand. You could possibly make some phone calls to different stores, or go on the internet. Either purchase Metagenics, Solgar, or Carlsons, but make sure it refers to the Albion Labs process, and has no Ca. I think Kal brand may be another one.

Richard
peggy merrill
October 21, 2003 12:02AM
Hello Stevie, chelated Mg and Mg glycinate are the same substance. You might find it a little cheaper on the internet but not sure about that.
Peggy
Carol
October 21, 2003 01:33AM
Solgar brand Chelated Magnesium is the glycinate form and is sold by Whole Foods.

If you read the fine print on the label under "Supplement Facts," you will see that it is magnesium glycinate and that the Albion process was used.

You will also see that a small amount of calcium is included.

Carol
Stevie
October 22, 2003 01:31PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I find magnsium very helpful. However, there are some unpleasant side effects gut wise. But I guess you can't have everything!
GERI
October 22, 2003 01:51PM
If you have stores called "The Vitamin Shoppe" up there in No. California, they have Magnesium Glycinate and also chelated Magnesium which glycinate is. Look in the white pages of your phone directory, and the yellow pages. They carry the top brands. I am taking Carlsons Magnesium Glycinate myself and others are too. Solgar is a good brand as well.
Richard
October 22, 2003 05:07PM
According to Dr. Gersten's chart on taking supplements, Mg. glycinate should be taken w/food.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login