Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More Problems

Posted by Larry Zajdel 
Larry Zajdel
More Problems
December 03, 2007 12:10AM
After posting last week about an episode of AF, I've had 3 more in the last 7 days. This is very strange for me since I had been averaging about 1 episode per 9 months for the last couple years.

To recap, I use Mag, Potassium, Taurine etc and have enjoyed not only very infrequent AF but little to no noticable PVC's, PAC's. Here's the rest of the story.

Today is my first day of retirement from my job of 39 years. The retirement decision was a very difficult and stressful one and last week I was in discussions with the corporation to extend my employment so that replacements could be trained. Government Laws ( the Pension Protection Act of 2006 which goes into effect on Jan 1, 2008) would have lowered my retirement income package. So in a way, I was motivated to retire before I was affected by the PPA. I had hoped that something could be worked out so that I could continure to work part time as a consultant thereby easing the transition into retirement, but it did not happen.

I recognize that correlation does not equal causation but the dramatic change in the AF freqency and the stress of this retirement issue is undeniable. I suppose there are other issues about this retirement that are bouncing around in my subconscious mind as well.

In case you hadn't noticed, I am a type A person. I have other plans lined up for retirement, but I guess this life passage is a bigger deal than I thought.

Anyway, I am currently a bit discouraged. Any advice would be appreciated.

Larry Zajdel

Cynthia
Re: More Problems
December 03, 2007 12:46AM
Larry, I was so sorry to read of your problems, and can definitely relate to your retirement feelings. I too, am a Type A and between A Fib and Osteoporosis, I have managed to spend a good amount of time in Dr. offices, and being sidelined from what I had invisioned for myself. Since stress is the one big change in a very successful regime perhaps some of the things Jackie suggests in the way of supplements to calm you would help. It is definitely an unwelcome jolt to have the "Beast" back in your life when you have been so successful in controlling the visits. Perhaps Yoga would help. In any event, in your heart know that you will get back to where you were. Hopefully, this will be soon and without much trouble. All the best to you.

Cynthia
December 03, 2007 01:00AM
Hi Larry - I think most of us here are Type A so we all are on the same page. I can appreciate your retirement situation and some reluctance as well. Sometimes the financial end talks louder and we certainly have to pay attention to protecting what little security there may be offered. Take comfort in the fact that you even have a retirement plan. Many people are not so fortunate.

Don't kid yourself that you don't have 'stress' over this issue. It's normal, understandable and almost everyone I know has gone through something similar. I'm included as I was forced to retire early from a job I loved because I was unreliable due to AF. It was my choice, of course, but it had to be done. I know exactly the type of internal turmoil that goes on.

I would encourage you to start looking on the positive side of retirement and looking forward to the freedom it offers to branch out to do other things you've never had time for; to volunteer; to take classes just for knowledge and fun. Get a new hobby. Play. Have fun. Read. And you can always find another part-time job doing something entirely different that gets you out of the house and interacting with people. After nearly 25 years of interacting daily with patients, I missed that contact significantly.... but I found other ways to compensate. You will find your niche. Just give it time and a chance to 'show up' in your new life.

I've often talked about coping and using theanine. It's one of the best finds I ever made for handling stress issues or just remaining in a state of calm when the world around you is not. Consider getting some from Hans website.... it's the Jarrow Brand theanine. Inexpensive. There are others...the New Chapter Holy Basil which offers calming effects, ashwaganda supports adrenals.

From a recent post:

I always recommend trying theanine. It's an amino acid that has calming properties. It works almost immediately - about 20 minutes or so. You can take it several times a day and it just takes the edge off being so anxious.
It is not habit forming; does not impair you in any way or make you sleepy.
(we have one person reporting it made him sleepy) but otherwise, it is not known to do that. I no longer have afib, but if I have stress or anxiety, I always use theanine for relief.

Check this through Hans website. [www.iherb.com]

Read this from my favorite natural product guru, Michael Murray ND.

[www.doctormurray.com]

Best to you and your coming new adventure.

Jackie
Jim W.
December 03, 2007 01:36AM
Hi Jackie,

I've been using L theanine from MMS Pro, and a few other brands, but heve never noticed any calming effects whatsoever. I checked Hans site & all I saw was L theanine from Source Naturals, which I have used in the past to no effect. Wish I could get an effect like you apparently do.

Also, could you briefly explain to me what happens to olive oil when it is heated, & why coconut oil is best for cooking. I've heard this before, but don't really understand because I thought coconut oil was high in saturated fats.

Thanks,

Jim
Pat
December 03, 2007 02:33AM
Larry:

Congratulations on the new opportunity to re-invent your self. Maybe you need to find out what you have missed when you accepted the need to focus. You may need to grieve a bit, though, before you can move on.
IMHO opinion, too much is said about being some kind of 'type', whether it is 'A' or something else. This kind of thing is built on shabby science and can be an excuse for not facing the world and exploring it. Count on change being both hard and rewarding.
December 03, 2007 04:45AM
Hi Jim - yes - I'll post the oil info... I'm just getting off line now. Back later.

As we know everyone is different but that theanine I use is from Jarrow and it's a synthesized form. I've worked with several people using it and they all have great success (including my own story). Maybe you need more along the lines of GABA. I think that's why it's important to take the self-quiz offered in the book, The Mood Cure, so each person can zero in on what neurotransmitter needs support.

Maybe the Jarrow brand is superior to others?

Also - calming remedys were offered in that same post...including the Rescue Remedy but it never worked as well for me.

J
William
December 03, 2007 05:00AM
Jim;

Saturated fats are necessary for health.
Those who say otherwise are liars or fools.

No competent and honest study has ever found anything wrong with consuming saturated fats - I'm thinking of the big one - the Framingham study on nutrition.

William
aldona
December 03, 2007 12:13PM
Larry,

all problems are illusions of the mind, negatively charged.

Perception of life situations/AF, retirement/ as a problem will lead you to be so overwhelmed, and life will become a burden.
This gives you pain, sorrow, hopelessness.
We do not need that in the journey through life.

Acceptance is necessary if you can not remove yourself from your life situation, if you do not and will resist you will become the victim feeling resentment and self-pity, and regret, unhappiness.

Whatever you think now is projecting itself into your future.

Change your thought pattern.
The choice is yours, you are empowered to use your mind and believe that future will be better.
Your mind is an ultimate tool for you to achieve calmness, trust, hope.
All those come from within, not from outside of us.
Those 3 will give you strength to carry on.

Aldona.

Cameron S.
December 03, 2007 03:47PM
Hey Larry,

I know that you have fingered other possible causes for your sudden surge of AFs but it sounded a lot like something that happened to me a few years back.

Hadn't had an episode for nearly 9 months then wham. Had a DCR then wham again 2 weeks later. This time they just couldn't stabilise the pulse low enough to be confident it would work. I was in hospital for 5 days before someone thought to check the thyroid (an easy blood test). It seems the betablockers were masking problems with that particular gland.

Had a scan with a radiation dye which confirmed the diagnosis so I sat in AF for 3 months while they waited for the sucker to come good before getting DCR-ed back into Sinus rhythm.

It is just a thought but our doctors do get convinced it is all heart related and don't always look outside the square.

Cheers

Cameron
Bobbie Jo
December 04, 2007 08:10AM
Jim and Jackie,

Just to throw something out...I use grape seed oil for cooking. It has a high flash/smoke point and is touted to be healthy. What is your take?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login