Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1st time A Fib

Posted by Chance 
Chance
1st time A Fib
September 18, 2007 04:15PM
Hello all. A few days ago, I never dreamed I would ever wind up in a forum
like this, but here I am. Two days ago I went into the hospital after experiencing for three solid days what would turn out to be Atrial Fib.

For several years, I've had the occasional flutter, but I've read that everyone gets those from time to time, and it's no big deal. However, when it started last Friday, it never stopped. By the third day, I was scared out of my mind. I didn't know what was going on.

The E.R. people were awesome. They got me into a bed really quickly, and
the doctor informed me I was in Atrial Fibrillation. I was terrified. I'm only
31, and the doctor said that was kind of young for A Fib. I cried, my wife cried, and my little boy was sobbing. It was a horrible scene.

They gave me some sort of medication that had me back into a normal sinus rhythm in only a few minutes. They ran my labs, and to their surprise they all came back clean. No heart disease, no thyroid problems, no anything. The doctor said "you're certainly the most interesting patient we've seen today." The doctor and the nurses marveled at how quickly I snapped out of my A Fib.

It turns out that the official cause for my condition was listed as caffeine overdose. I had a LOT of it the Friday it started. I am now avoiding the
substance like the plague. I got out of the hospital within two hours of arriving there. The doctor felt that good about my condition. I have only had the odd flutter here and there since, but that's actually normal for me. I've had those for years.

I guess what I want to know is if I can expect this crap to come back again.
I'm scared. I don't want to be dependent on medication. I would consider
that ablation surgery I've read about, but hopefully it won't come to that.
I'm all kinds of worked up. Is it difficult to live with this condition? Can
you live a normal lifespan with A Fib? I just don't want to die. I know I
sound like I'm whining, but I'm really scared. Any advice you all could offer would be tremendous. Thank you.

Doug L.
Re: 1st time A Fib
September 18, 2007 04:52PM

Your first item on the list should be immediately to purchase one or several of Hans Books and do some serious reading... In the mean time have your blood checked for Mag. and Potassium levels... and begin drinking lots of water... that should hold you over until reading is complete.. and others on this site will surely check in with advice. Also get off all alcohol, diet sodas and MSG.
Barb H.
September 18, 2007 05:21PM
Hello - Sorry to hear of your very frightening experience. I think most of the people on this board will identify with your concern, as we've all been there - especially in the beginning. I know I had continuous arrythmia for a couple of WEEKS when I first started down this road. But the good news is that you have been told that your heart is fine - and all checked out OK. This is not considered to be life threatening, and there are things that can be done to either correct the afib or at least reduce the episodes and make it more manageable.

It sounds like your system may be sensitive to various triggers (you said you've had flutters for years). This time, caffeine was the culprit. If you are careful with your diet and learn more about what to avoid (MSG, etc.), you may avoid having this again. If not, the best defense is KNOWLEDGE. And like Doug said, I would get Hans first book and read it. It will give you some reassurance and information, should this happen again.

Good luck and welcome to the site. This is a great place to come for support and advice. ~ Barb
Chance
September 18, 2007 06:10PM
Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it. I've noticed something tonight.
If I get all distraught and worked up about my condition, I seem to get
the odd flutter here and there. When I calm down and get my mind off
of it, no flutters. Apparently anxiety can be a trigger as well. I am
most definitely off of caffeine. No more. I love tea and coffee, but on the
rare occasion I consume either, it will be of the decaf variety.

I started taking magnesium supplements right away, even without the
doctor telling me to do so. I've also included Hawthorn berry into my
life. I'm a few pounds overweight (really, just a few), so I'm going to start getting exercise, and I am going to seriously increase my intake of fruits
and vegetables. I don't drink or smoke, so neither of those will be an issue for me, thank God.

I am terrified of this, I can't lie about that. But, I've read that if treated properly, it's not a life threatening condition. So, that's good to know.
I want to be around to watch my little boy grow up and get old and gray
with my loving wife.
john
September 18, 2007 06:19PM
Chance, I had afib for the first time when I was 32. Caffiene, alcohol, lack of sleep and stress were all blamed. I dropped the caffiene and started paying attention to the other factors and I did not have another episode for almost four years. I then met a wonderful doctor who helped keep me episode free for 10 years. over the last year and a half, i have had it 3 times including twice over a 30 day period this past summer, so things have finally gotten worse. Until the episodes this summer, i have not been on medication.

Afib never really bothered me as a health issue until recently. in the early days i was prone to anxiety/ panic attacks, in part because i thought i was getting afib.

you sound similar to me, but everyone is different. i would stay off the medicine until you really need it; maybe have a pip.

forget the ablation for awhile.

regards, john
Sharon Glass
September 18, 2007 06:39PM
John, first let me tell you that we have all had the panic attacks when we first had afib. I was diagnosed in 2005 and I was scared to death until I found this board. I got Hans book, "Lone Atrial Fibrillation: Toward A Cure" and that eased my mind so much. You might want to check out "My Favorite Supplements" which will give you information about what you might consider taking as afib supplements. I would advise you to make that your first steps. (By the way, none of us get commission for pushing Hans book, it is the best and is very helpful.) I was given medication at first, but it had so many side effects that I discontinued it early 2006. I decided to find my triggers which were gluten, too much sugar, caffeine and extreme stress. I started eating good foods, no more fried and no more breads. I take supplements daily and now have afib under control. I have not had an episode since June 2006.

John, you are so fortunate that you got medical care that did not prescribe medication. That gives you the opportunity to try other things without worrying about side effects. It appears you have identified two triggers for you - caffeine and stress. It is almost a guarantee that if you get extremely anxious, your heart will beat funny and could lead to afib. I would find some relaxing methods, so when you find yourself getting anxious you can overcome it. I find that relaxing music does it for me.

You will find the people on this board are like one big family. We all care about each other, we all walk in similiar shoes in that we all have afib. Many have afib in control by changing lifestyles, many have it in control by finding the right mediation, some have had ablation. One thing we have all learned, "We are all experiments of one." What works for one person may not work for another, but you don't know until you try. You have a lot to learn, but open up your mind and learn, learn learn. In a few months you will feel much better about everything. Ask any question, someone will probably have the answer. Sharon
Joe
September 19, 2007 05:52AM
I'm new here too, but have been suffering from AFIB since I was 27.

It won't kill you, but you have to be careful when you are in AFIB.

I was terrified too, but that wanes over time too.

You learn to live with it, but if you're like me, you don't want limits placed on your life.

I am going to try some of the suggestions these nice people have offered too.

I can't tell you much aside from everyone appears to be different.

But just know, your not alone.

I've had this for 9 years now.
September 19, 2007 06:03AM
Chance - I certainly can appreciate how you felt in the ER given the diagnosis, but the good news is it isn't a death sentence. More than likely, the overloading of your system with caffeine is the cause. You've had a miserable experience.

You've received very good advice and you'll surely get more. Now is the time to educate yourself. Hans books are the place to start and then you can read selected topics here on the BB using the search feature. But initially, just asking some questions may be easier for quick answers; then you can research further.

You'll need to do some assessing of your nutritional intake and other lifestyle habits... like eating packaged, manufactured foods rather than fresh whole foods and eliminating fast foods. All too often, commercially prepared foods are loaded with chemical additives, flavoring, preservatives that can add to the toxic burden and become excitatory in your body... and the caffeine burden just intensifies that insult.

When you get your mind collected, we can help steer you in the right direction toward better nutrition, hydration and and so forth.

Just the mention of hydration brings up the fact that often afib occurs with dehydration and coffee/caffeine is dehydrating. So along with giving up caffeine - drink plenty of pure water - preferably not from the top but something filtered to remove the chemicals. Do not substitute soft drinks for caffeine. If you drink plenty of water, you will not yearn for something else.

When you give up something so addictive as caffeine, you are going to compensate by going overboard on something else... candy and sugar are often substituted and that would be the very worst thing you could do so when you decide to lay out a dietary plan - let us steer you toward healthy eating.

I agree with John - it's way too soon to be thinking about an ablation.

Jackie
Chance
September 19, 2007 07:01AM
All of you, thank you so much. I am dropping caffeine from my diet altogether.
I don't have a very good diet, and I'm looking to pick up a newer, heart healthy one. I'll have to look at flax seed and Omega 3 pills, because
I hate seafood. I can't stand the stuff. Other than fresh veggies and fruits, what do you all recommend in the way of proper eating?
Chance
September 19, 2007 11:20AM
Tonigirl,

Well, I haven't had any kind of sickness (flu, colds, etc) for a couple of years.
I don't have any allergies or anything like that. I do endure quite a bit of stress, though. I'm a type A personality, so I get really worked up often and
quickly. That's another thing I'm going to work very hard to change.

I doubt I have much in the way of Omega 3 stores, as I don't eat fish of
any kind. It's all nasty to me. I am now taking Omega 3 pills, and I'm
going to start adding flax seeds to my meals to make up for it.

Hopefully, I'll be able to reverse course somewhat with proper diet and exercise. I'm confused about the diet, though, because some people say
get plenty of breads and such, and others say eat little of these things.
It'll take a while, but I'm sure I'll get it.
Sharon Glass
September 19, 2007 12:42PM
Chance, carbs from breads and such will definately get your energy going for a short period and then bam! What I have learned is that the high proteins and veggies make my energy level good all day. I eat a good wild caught salmon and bake it in my oven and I can never taste a fish taste at all. I don't like fish to taste like fish so I have found this works for me. Fresh grouper does the same, but it has to be fresh. I live near the Gulf of Mexico in Florida so I am fortunate in getting fresh fish any time. I do not like any other kind of fish. I used to eat tuna, but now I just take some of my left over salmon and make a "tuna" type salad out of it...yumm. Of course, some people never get used to fish and that is understandable.

As for your "A" type personality, I used to be the same when I was young. It is good at times, but bad when you have something like afib. Actually I still have the "A" personality as you never lose that, but I have learned some things are not worth getting stressed over. I also take Taurine at 1,000 mg a day and that really seems to help me by slowing me down with no side effects. It is an amino acid so it is good for you. A lot of us on the board call that our "supplement of choice." I sleep like a baby when I take it at night. Google Taurine and read about it.

Hang in there, 6 months from now, you will be advising other newcomers. Sharon
September 19, 2007 01:22PM
Chance - proper eating is really very simple but far different from what typically most people eat. If you use the search feature at the top of the message box and type in The List, you will see many people have found success using the Paleo eating plan. go here:

It's basically avoiding all forms of grains which would include bread type foods and cereal. After that, you can indulge on fresh veggies (nothing canned), protein from meat, fish, chicken, turkey, lamb etc. And you can have fruit. No white potatoes. No dairy. No sodas, no candy, no sugar. Sugar is the enemy. No artificial or 'diet' anything and especially no artificial sweetener. If you eat plainly - that is avoiding sauces and mixed foods or casseroles when you eat out, you can fairly well avoid MSG which seems to be in a great bit of commercially prepared foods... as I mentioned previously.

Some of us find we get along better with a modified Paleo diet as long as it eliminates grains. That seems to be important for most people...but not all.
We all have a biochemical uniqueness or biochemical individuality so each of us will respond slightly differently to various eating plans and allowed foods. It's an experiment of one.

Now that you have eliminated the caffeine and with some good nutrition, you may well be able to avoid having another afib event. Each of us has a different history of our own afib events, but after my first one, I didn't have a second until 9 months later. Had I been aware of increasing the essential electrolytes right at the start, I may well have avoid progressing to more frequent and lengthy events.

You are in a perfect place to begin learning how to eat healthy and to shore up your stores of both magnesium and potassium. You'll see on The List, many people also take taurine. I think of those as the Essential Trio...

The important thing is to try to calm down and wait out your visits without becoming paranoid over the whole thing. I'm not downplaying it, but if you are extremely anxious, as Sharon points out, you could be setting yourself up for another event as stress will deplete magnesium even more.

If you are ready to consider the supplements, let us know and we can point you to the proper forms and brands.

You may also want to consdier getting some theanine right now to help reduce anxiety and calm you down. It's just an amino acid and will not make you feel spacey, lose control of anything, and for most people, it does not create sleepiness, either. I think you are very stressed and reactive because you have eliminated caffeine and the withdrawal from that can be pretty severe.

Following is a post from a while back on theanine and another link to information about theanine use from naturopathic physician, Michael T. Murray.

Here's a post on tension/stress and prevalence of afib... found when I was looking for the theanine post.

Tension -- 24% more likely to develop atrial fibrillation

<[www.afibbers.com]>

[www.doctormurray.com]

Helpful in Reducing Stress and Anxiety

We’ve all discussed from time to time the impact of stress on AF and vice versa. Reducing or eliminating stress is highly desirable regardless of whether or not we have AF. Ongoing stress is highly detrimental to health.

I’d like to share some natural supplements that help reduce and control stress. I’ve used them all with great success and am using them (as instructed by my MD) as ongoing support for exhausted adrenals. None of these create a tiredness or sleepiness. You don’t even know you’ve taken anything until you realize you have an internal calm. That’s the best way I can describe it. Internal calmness. I’ve faced a considerable amount of stress and adversity over the past 9 months and these products, especially the Theanine and Holy Basil, have not let me down. I’m very impressed. They are economical and are conveniently available through Hans’ online vitamin store. The very best attribute is that they are all non-sedative and non-addictive. No risk of falling asleep, losing your mental edge, manual dexterity or losing control of your tongue.

I hope this information is helpful to BB readers experiencing stress. It certainly has made a huge impact on my stress management and as a result, my health.

Jackie

THEANINE
L Theanine is an amino acid. It’s very fast-acting. I take one in the morning and one in the early evening.

“ In Japan, theanine is commonly used as a nutritional factor to reduce stress and produce a calming effect.

Theanine has been shown to stimulate the alpha waves in the brain. Alpha waves are typically elevated in subjects who are in a state of calm relaxation such as meditation. In those with anxiety; however, this alpha wave activity is almost nonexistent.

Theanine’s capacity to reduce stress is especially important in the case of cancer patients who are usually experiencing stress and anxiety from the diagnosis they have been given and the treatments they are undergoing. Theanine consistently creates a sense of relaxation 30-40 minutes after oral ingestion. One possible mechanism for this relaxant effect is theanine’s apparent role in the formation of GABA ( gamma-amino butyric acid).

The amino acid also appears to cross the blood brain barrier and increase serotonin and dopamine concentrations
in the brain. A study of women ages 18-22 found 200 mg of theanine significantly increased the production of alpha waves in the brain as an index of increased relaxation.”
Source: Allergy Research Products Focus May 2003

The brand I use is Jarrow Formulas, 100 mg. 60 caps, $11 minus the discount. Jarrow Formulas Theanine 100 is made enzymatically from amino acids and is identical to the theanine found in green tea. [store.yahoo.com]

Subsequent questions asked about interactions with Theanine and warfarin. I wrote to Jarrow's technical support team and received this response...

There are no known interactions between L-theanine and blood thinners: [www.pdrhealth.com].

Our L-theanine is not derived from green tea; it is synthesized.

SUPERCRITICAL HOLY BASIL

The second recommendation for a natural miracle product is Supercritical Holy Basil by New Chapter. This herbal product is an ancient Aurelia herb that reduces stress and, especially important, supports normal cortisol production because of its adaptogenic properties.. Long periods of high emotional stress means an over-production of cortisol. Elevated cortisol levels are not healthy. Remember, cortisol is known as the “death hormone.” When the adrenal glands are on alert all the time, they are just pumping out cortisol by the carload. Eventually, this leads to adrenal exhaustion and a whole other set of problems such as the development of dysglycemia, immune dysfunction, inflammation, heart disease, cancer – to name a few.

Holy Basil also helps regulate insulin metabolism blood sugar and sugar cravings, aids in weight loss and is also a natural COX-2 inhibitor of inflammatory enzymes, as well protects cells from radiation damage.

Holy Basil (Tulsi) has been used for over 5000 years and has been shown to be safe. In India, it is revered for its ability to assist mediation and increased states of awareness. It aids in the creation of harmony, calm and deeper consciousness. It works internally throughout the body and mind to enlighten and foster comprehension. (this is what I’m going for!)

The only brand of Holy Basil I would consider taking is Supercritical Holy Basil from New Chapter – grown without chemicals or fertilizers in pristine meadows in the Himalayas. They are extremely conscientious with the processing and purity of the product to ensure that the whole herb is distilled by natural means and without hexane.
Source: absolutelythepurest.com, vitaminexpress.com and iherb.com product information

You can read more on the iherb website. [store.yahoo.com]
I use SC Holy Basil, New Chapter, 60 hexane-free softgels - $17.47 minus discount.

ASHWAGANDA

Ashwaganda was the first adaptogenic herb that I used with great success in a Metagenics product and I’ve since expanded to the others listed here as well.

“ In a world where eighty percent of all disease can be attributed to stress it is not surprising that we are attracted to the Ayurvedic herb, Ashwaganda. Winter Cherry in English, Withania somnifera is sometimes referred to as Indian Ginseng making reference to its nervous system rejuvenative and tonic actions. Numerous studies have exhibited its anti-stress adaptogenic properties, many of which demonstrated superior adaptogenic properties than that of Ginseng

In one study, Ashwaganda demonstrated increased physical endurance, prevented the depletion of Vitamin C and cortisol while under stress and prevented stress related gastrointestinal ulcers. Hence, Ashwaganda got its name which in Sanscrit means "the sweat or smell of a horse" indicating that one who takes it would have the strength and stamina of a horse or some say ten horses. It is quickly becoming well known as an herb for energy, endurance and stress.

Ashwaganda is one of a very few herbs that increase the Ojas of the body and therefore supports these essential functions of the body. Stress as we now know triggers degenerative stress fighting hormones and free radicals which are both considered to play a leading role in the disease process. In Ayurveda, the degenerative chemistry of stress depletes Ojas by interfering with the production of the seven tissues and leaves the body susceptible to what we call stress related illness. It is from this perspective that Ashwaganda can play such a lead role in so many processes of the body and gain such high status as an adaptogen and rejuvenative.

Ashwaganda contains at least twenty six different bio-active alkaloids, steroidal lactones called withanolides, and sitoindosides. Due to it's complex chemistry, much of which is still unknown we can expect variations in levels of active constituents and a broad spectrum of therapeutic actions which include, tonic, nervine, sedative, nerve restorative, adaptogen, aphrodisiac, anti-inflammatory and respiratory stimulant properties.

According to Ayurvedic medicine, Ashwaganda balances both the Nervous System (vata = air) and the Musculo-Skeletal System (kapha = earth, water) simultaneously while it increases heat (pitta) in the body.

Ashwaganda is also indicated in many other conditions that combine either vata and kapha imbalances. Traditionally, Ashwaganda was used to treat, general debility, arthritis, depression, chronic fatigue, insomnia, anxiety, depressed immunity, sexual debility, infertility, memory loss, breathing difficulties, hormonal imbalances and more .

It used very effectively for insomnia, but not as a sedative. It's rejuvenative and nervous system restorative properties provide the body with the energy (prana) which is needed by the body to settle itself down and sleep.

In this way, its adaptogenic properties help the body deal with a stress related condition rather than mask it with a sedative.
source:

Also because of its sweet taste, Ashwaganda is considered a heavy herb and may be necessary to take it with meals or with Ginger to effectively digest it. A typical dose is 250 mg TID. Toxicity is not usually encounter with Ashwaganda. The LD-50 is 1076 mg/kg.7 “
Source: www.LifeSpa.com

The brand I used is Ashwaganda 1.5% Extract, Wild Crafted Paradise Herbs, 250 mg., 60 Vcaps, $10 minus the discount.
<[store.yahoo.com] (PS – I do not smell like a horse!)

5 HYDROXYTRYPTOPHAN (5HTP)

5 hydroxytryptophan was the first relaxant I used years back after hearing Michael Murray ND at a health convention in Florida when he presented on 5HTP use with fibromyalgia. He has since written a book on the properties and use of this product which is a safe, natural enhancer to raise serotonin levels.

“Our stressful modern lifestyles wreak havoc on our health--we're waging a constant battle to overcome the ill effects of poor diet, lack of exercise, and not enough rest. It may surprise you to learn that scientists have discovered that our stressful lifestyles not only affect our bodies but they adversely affect our brains, too. Specifically, stress, poor diet, and insufficient exercise cause our brains to produce low levels of serotonin, the neurotransmitter that regulates our mood, appetite, and ability to get a good night's sleep. When our brains aren't producing enough serotonin, we may experience depression, suffer from obesity or insomnia, or otherwise function at less than our mental and physical peak.

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that is the intermediate step between tryptophan and the important brain chemical serotonin. There is a massive amount of evidence that suggests that low serotonin levels are a common consequence of modern living. The lifestyle and dietary practices of many people living in this stress-filled era results in lowered levels of serotonin within the brain. As a result, many people are overweight, crave sugar and other carbohydrates, experience bouts of depression, get frequent headaches, and have vague muscle aches and pain. All of these maladies are correctable by raising brain serotonin levels. The primary therapeutic applications for 5-HTP are low serotonin states as are:
Depression
Obesity
Carbohydrate craving
Bulimia
Insomnia
Narcolepsy
Sleep apnea
Migraine headaches
Tension headaches
Chronic daily headaches
Premenstrual syndrome
Fibromyalgia

5-hydroxy tryptophan (5-HTP)--an amino acid extracted from the seeds of the Griffonia plant--which is available without prescription and has been shown to be safer and more effective than prescription drugs in treating conditions associated with low levels of serotonin. It has been used in Europe for decades.” Source: www.dr.murray.com

I take one (1) 50 mg. capsule with meals three times a day and sometimes one at bedtime. The max dose in a day is 300 mg. I either choose NOW brand or Natural Factors. NOW is only $12 – discount for 90, 50-mg. capsules and Natural Factors which is Dr. Murray’s brand is $9.60 – discount for 60 50-mg. capsules.
(Update - I take 5HTP only occasionally now since theanine and Holy Basil handle all my stress issues nicely.)

From Hans vitamin store… reference the label information by typing in 5 HTP in the search box and note the informational links. [www.iherb.com]

There are many adaptogenic herbs… just type in a Google search on those words.

One I’ve not yet experienced is Rhodiola. Been thinking about it, but everything I use works so well, I hate to change just for the sake of change, although I do like to rotate so I don’t become sensitized.

Jackie
Barb H.
September 19, 2007 05:57PM
Wow Jackie - that was a lot of useful information on supplements. Do you know if they are all safe to take along with a beta blocker? I take Atenolol every day. (I know people say it's not good for vagal afibbers, but I haven't had a chance to see my cardiologist recently, so I just reduced the amount over the past few weeks.). Just don't want any interactions...
Thanks ~ Barb
September 20, 2007 07:00AM
Barb - you should always verify interactions - by doing a google search... for the drug and contraindications. If you still are concerned, inquire of your pharmacist. They are typically very knowledgeable about interactions.
And you can do a google for each herb to learn the properties.

Since a beta blocker lowers blood pressure, you always want to be sure that an herbal does not also have Bp-lowering properties as well... Hawthorne would be an example of an herb that lowers blood pressure.

Herbs should be considered drugs and the interactions can be severe so it pays to check out any combination you decide to take on your own that has not been recommended by a doctor.

I took all of the ones mentioned with flecanide and had no problem, but that's not a beta blocker.

Theanine is just an amino acid (as is 5 HTP) and as indicated, the Jarrow formula is synthethized so it will not have any interaction from the vitamin K and coumadin as would a product derived from green tea extract.

That's the one I find most useful - and Ashwaganda. There is a good deal of info on the internet about Ashwaganda and my favorite site that has reliable information is [www.planetherbs.com] which is Michael Tierra's website. He's a very well-known Master Herbalist. [www.planetherbs.com] His Planetary Formulas products are excellent and many are offered through iherb.

Jackie
Peter vm/36
September 20, 2007 06:07PM
Hey Chance,

I'm also relatively young, still somewhat scared, but I have done a ton of research and reading and can share some perspectives.....

I personally have had this, without realizing, since I was 22 for sure and possibly earlier - I had a Holter when I was 20 so I must have complained of something...I was asymptomatic when I was diagnosed last year and strangely had very nasty several episodes shortly thereafter which I contribute to stress and the panic!

It won't kill you by itself but it needs to be managed. The confounding thing is the tremendous range of experiences. On the one hand, I know of someone who's been in PERMANENT afib for 40 years (and many others over 20 years) and yet there are young and not so young people out there who have reported that their life has been ruined by this.

E-mail me off the board if you wish and I can share some more

Peter
Chance
September 21, 2007 01:45PM
Today has been a fantastic day for my heart. I went back to work yesterday.
I had a few "flutters", but nothing more. The daily flutters have lessened every day since I got out of the E.R. with my first episode. I had only
two today. I've been eating a lot better, as I've said, plus taking some
really good supplements. I'm hoping against hope that I am one of
the rare people who only has one episode and after lifestyle modification
never has another. I'm feeling a lot better about everything. If I have
another one, though, I'm more mentally prepared to deal with it. It
doesn't have to be the end of the world. I see that now.
Chance
September 21, 2007 01:46PM
By the way, I forgot to ask you all something. I've heard that sometimes
there can be intestinal issues and sensations that are easily mistaken
for an aberrant heart beat. Like, when I eat way too much, I sometimes
get a "gurgle" in my chest, but I can't tell if it's my heart or it's my digestive
tract. Any ideas?
September 21, 2007 02:29PM
Yes - we all have learned that overeating is often a trigger...so be disciplined enough not to overeat. The stretch of the stomach can impinge on the vagus nerve... when that nerve become irritated, afib is often the next step.

In addition to not overeating, it's important to consider if you have adequate digestion. If there is bloating and gas after a meal, that's an indication that digestion or breaking down of the foods is not adequate.
Digestive enzymes help in this area.

I hope for you, too, that your episode is just one event and you never have it again.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login