Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RE UK ABLATION: MORE INFO ON PROF JOHN MORGAN

Posted by Shaun 
Shaun
RE UK ABLATION: MORE INFO ON PROF JOHN MORGAN
February 10, 2007 09:24PM
With reference to my earlier post about undergoing an ablation in the UK at Southampton with Prof. John Morgan, my wife (who is Sister of a Gastro unit at Queen Alexandra Hospital and for 15 years worked on a cardiology unit) has spoken to a former colleague ( now a cardiac consultant) about Dr Morgan and has found out the following:

Apparently he knows the two Bordeaux EPs Jais and Hassiguere, (excuse spelling!)

He has been performing over 200 catheter ablations a year for a few years now.

He is an associate prof. at Hull University.

One of the cardiologists who works alongside Prof Morgan was trained at the Cleveland Clinic.

He lectures worldwide on Electrophysiology/ Cardiology and has been involved with the development of ablation equipment.

He is widely published and apparently is internationally renowned (although I do wonder in that case why no one here has heard of him?)

I havent found out yet exactly what procedure he uses or what his success rate is. I think I will have to ask him when I meet with him.

I would say then, so far, a cautious thumbs up. I think my decision will be based on what he has to say when I meet him.

One other interesting thing the my EP told me (and I will certainly be asking a lot more about when I meet Prof. Morgan) is that with vagally mediated AF (like mine) they target the part of the heart where there are vagal nerve endings. Anyone know any more about this?

Thats it for now

Regards Shaun 38 uk v
Shaun
Re: RE UK ABLATION: MORE INFO ON PROF JOHN MORGAN
February 11, 2007 01:41AM
Hans, if you are reading, Prof. Morgan is an EP. I used the term Surgeon incorrectly.

Regards

Shaun
Mark
February 11, 2007 02:02AM
I also live in the area. Prof Morgan is on my list of possibles, as he's local I might pay him a visit. Another possibility is the London Bridge AF Centre, although my favoured route would probably be to Bordeaux.

Decisions been postponed for now after some success with Diltiazem. I'm trying to delay as long as possible in the hope that procedures and success rates improve.

I'm very interested to see how you get on.

Mark

Have you heard anything about him Mark?

Regards

Shaun
Shaun and Mark, here is a link to a post from somebody named Mark [could this be the same Mark?] from the bb just previous to this one. I did not search the others, there may be more references to this individual in those bb's.

[www.afibbers.org]

PeggyM
Mark
February 11, 2007 04:53AM
Hi Peggy

Yes that is me, my cardio who is based at St Mary's in Portsmouth mentioned him last year, though he has not mentioned him again since.

He seems keen on Dr Jaswinda (Jaz) Gill and I see there's a note about him using some new equipment on this bulletin board (see "New devices in the pipeline").

I did come across this mention of him on the AFib Support bulletin board:
"The first symposium, which will be co-chaired by Francis Murgatroyd, M.D.
(Cambridge, UK) and Herve Le Marec, M.D. (St. Herblain, France), will be held on Wednesday June 19, 2002 at 2:30 pm. The symposium will examine the application of pacing therapy for the management of atrial fibrillation. The second symposium will be co-chaired by Martin Borggrefe, M.D. (Mannheim, Germany) and John Morgan, M.D. (Southampton, UK) and will address dual-chamber defibrillation."

Mark

James Driscoll
February 11, 2007 05:44AM
Hi Shaun , understand this this is total speculation on my part but I still think it's sounding like this chap does the circumferential procedure smiling smiley ...

Pulmonary Vein Denervation Enhances Long-Term Benefit After Circumferential Ablation for Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation
[circ.ahajournals.org]
--
James D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login