Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slight pain after long sessions

Posted by MacD 
MacD
slight pain after long sessions
January 11, 2007 01:40PM
Does anyone else experience slight pain in the heart area (I don't want to say in the heart, as I cannot be sure obviuolsy where exactly it originates) after a fib session, particularly a longer one (for me, more than an hour). I have noticed such a pain (slight soreness) on a very consistent basis, and can rule out such things as exercise (eg., push-ups, or chin-ups). I am not partifcularly concerned at this point, but I am curious to know if this is a phenomenom experienced by other LoneAFIB sufferers -- and ultimately, to know what the soreness if indicative of. Much thanks for sharing any insights you may have on this. MacD
Russ mix/36/35(wmm)
Re: slight pain after long sessions
January 11, 2007 02:02PM
MacD, yes. Especially after longer episodes, like 12-24 hours, there is just a dull ache in my whole chest that lingers for some time.

Russ
Sue Bowden
January 11, 2007 07:19PM
MacD,

Yes. When I was getting regular long episodes (anything up to 40 hrs) I would ache everywhere in my chest afterwards. Not pain, just a dull ache. I have never had actual chest pain in my life. I was told that this is normal after the heart has been jumping around for a while. I have a pacemaker and I also notice that I can tell exactly where my wires are in my chest after it has been in "suppression" mode for a while during AF. I am never aware of them normally.
January 12, 2007 05:26AM
MacD - If you would see a video clip of a heart struggling in afib, it makes sense that that poor heart might experience some 'muscle cramping' or soreness just like after doing 200 squats or something else outrageous.

In my post ( the previous BB session V) on ribose to help supply energy to hearts, the Dr. Johnson said-

What will ribose do for someone who exercises on a regular basis?

Scientific research shows that three or four workouts per week may not allow enough rest time between sessions for heart and muscle energy pools to return to normal levels. Taking Ribose shortens the time needed by heart and muscle tissue to replace energy that is lost through vigorous exercise. Keeping energy pools full helps to keep heart and muscles in good physiological condition, increase power and endurance, and reduce fatigue. Recent research has also shown that ribose supplementation during exercise reduces free radical formation and lowers cardiac stress associated with hypoxia.

Dr. Johnson says: “In normal healthy hearts that have been stressed with ischemia or hypoxic insult, research shows that it takes more than 10 days to fully recover the energy charge. That’s in a normal healthy heart. In muscle, we know it takes more than 3 days because we’ve done all the studies to show the ATP recovery rate in skeletal muscle following exercise and we know it to be greater than 3 days.

You can read the whole report here:

<[www.afibbers.org]>

I would think that taking ribose either daily or at the onset and after an event would help restore heart energy almost immediately. Since I no longer have afib, I can't test out my theory myself but I do know it works well for exercise and other muscle recovery.

Jackie
Keith
January 12, 2007 11:45AM
Jackie, do your take ribose and is there anybody else on the BB that takes ribose?

Thanks
Keith
January 12, 2007 12:07PM
Keith - I do - but I don't have afib. I take it for muscle fatigue symptoms of fibromyalgia; works great. I know if I skip a dose. And it also has reduced to about zero - the little runs of sinus tachycardia I used to get after ablation. Now I either don't get them, or if I do, I don't feel them. Once in a while, I'll notice a skipped beat - which may be just that natural resetting of the rhythm doctors mention from time to time. I'm pleased with my experiment based on what Dr. Johnson has shared.

I believe I recall a few others have started taking ribose. I would think anyone who is doing strenuous exericse would want to include it with their daily regimen - especially if they have afib or any other cardiac problem.

Jackie
Keith
January 12, 2007 12:46PM
Jackie, did you get your ribose from Han's supplement store on this site?

I am thinking of trying it myself.

Thanks
keith
Emmie
January 12, 2007 05:27PM
In anyone's opinion, would ribose help a heart in permanent AF?
January 13, 2007 02:00AM
Keith - I started out with the CorValen (expensive) and then I decided to try what's offered on Hans' iherb site. I used the CorValen for about 3 months before changing.

I use Jarrow's Ribose - bulk - powdered, not the capsules. My initial doses were 1 teaspoon or 5 grams three times a day. After a while, I backed off to see if I noticed any difference and settled on 1 teaspoon twice a day - I take one in the morning before exercise and another after exercise. If I am achy or tired later in the day, I take another half teaspoon. I just mix it with a small amount of water an always take the CoQ10 with it as the research shows it helps get the Q into the cells efficiently.

This Jarrow has the same patent numbers on the label that are referenced with CorValen so I'm hoping they are honest and actually provide the bonafide powder. One never knows how scrupulous supplement suppliers are but the cost savings was worth a try.

If you are thinking of trying it, I suggest you reread my post and also go to the CorValen website and look at their published science.

Good luck.

Jackie

<[www.afibbers.org];
MacD
January 14, 2007 08:52AM
Thanks to you an others for very thoughtful responses. It quickly becomes apparent to me that the "dull ache" aftermath as it has been described is a common aspect of afib. It also strikes me how questions that I am saving to put to my cadiologist end up getting answered very quickly and adequately on the bulletin board!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login