Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Difference between Vagal and Adrenergic

Posted by john 
john
Difference between Vagal and Adrenergic
December 23, 2003 12:28AM
In reading some of the postings on the web-site I'm gathering that there are two kinds of AF - vagal and adrenergic. Is that correct? What distinguishes the two and how do you tell if you're 1) vagal, 2) adrenergic, or 3) mixed? I'm new to the board, and I am the "john" who asked the question about sleep apnea. Thanks smiling smiley
Re: Difference between Vagal and Adrenergic
December 23, 2003 01:27AM
John - welcome to the BB. You can go back into the archives and read some of the info about the distinction between the two types of afib. And I strongly recommend you purchase Hans' book. It has all the details you need right in one easy refrence. Read all you can absorb and let it sink in for a while. Feel free to ask questions.

One that I have for you...did you have afib before the oxygen therapy for the apnea? or did the mechanism bring on the afib?

Jackie
john
December 23, 2003 04:46AM
Dear Jackie, Thanks for your response. I had cpap therapy about two years after the onset of afib. But, my wife posits the onset of apnea at about the same time of the onset of afib. The apnea wasn't diagnosed until two years later. john
john
December 23, 2003 04:47AM
Jackie, I forgot to add that I have ordered Larsen's book. It hasn't arrived yet. john
Hans Larsen
December 24, 2003 08:05AM
John,

You can read about the difference between adrenergic, vagal and mixed afib at

www.afibbers.org/faq.htm

Hope you get the book soon, but the mail is a little slow at the moment.

Hans
john
December 26, 2003 01:15AM
Hans, thanks for the URL. I printed it out so my wife and family can read it. My son works as a nurse (telemetrist) on a cardiology unit at United Hospital in Minneapolis, MN.

Great web site.

And, I am extremely grateful (possibly an understatement) for the timely, intelligent responses to the questions I've posted about LAF.

john
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login