Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PC and Others - Am going for 1st time physical, what should I ask for?

Posted by Gregg 
Hi all,

I am going in for a physical (not cardio, just the regular physical) for the first time since I was diagnosed with afib. Is there anything that I should be asking for? For instance, my blood test usually only tests for chlesterol, any afib related deficiencies (or excesses) that I should ask to be included in the work up? Any additional x-rays besides the standard chest?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated - now's my time to be proactive and I don't want to pass it up. As with before, many thanks!

gregg
Gregg

Search for Jackies excellent post "Red flags" and this one by Richard

[www.yourhealthbase.com]

Cheers

Adrian
Depends how old you are, if old enough ask for ferritin levels.
This is blood iron, and can be a problem in older men as we haven't (usually) bled enough.
When I was tested it was right on the danger level of liver damage.

If it is high, the remedy is IP6. google it.

William A 66
Gregg,

Adrian posted a link to what I recommended to Cathy, but here's a rundown and some additional information.

Serum blood test: to check all electrolytes/minerals, i.e. potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, calcium, sulfur, sodium, chloride, zinc, copper, selenium, molybdenum, chromium, and anything else they can check. Basically tell him you want all of these levels checked any way he can accomplish this. Some of these elements present themselves more within the cell, but any deficiencies in serum would indicate problems.

Check for anemia: this could show iron or B12 problems, but ask him if he knows of a test that would show your vitamin levels. I didn't get this test from your typical lab, I used Great Smokies, which is usually used by alternative doctors, but there could be normal avenues for this.

White blood cell count: This could show elevations of your immune system in action, which could indicate something, such as inflammation, is going on or that your body is fighting something.

Liver and kidney function test: I haven't gotten the results of mine, and don't know how effective they are, but I would think this could show a possible problem of reduced actions of these vital organs.

Thyroid test

Ask you doctor if he has tests that can give information on the neurotransmitters, dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. You would think they could check this, but I really don't know, but it's well worth asking. I used Great Smokies here, as well, and they measured the metabolites from the urine to indicate a problem with epinephrine and norepinephrine. Those end metabolites were homovanillic and vanilmandelic acids.

Candida test: to see if you have any bacterial/fungal overgrowth.

I can't think of anything else, but hopefully someone else can give additional thoughts. If I think of something else I'll post. Besides the above, tell your doctor you want to know exactly what is going on within your body, and if he has any additional tests that could be helpful, you want them all. Tell him you also want copies of the results.

Best of luck,
Richard
Gregg:

Thallium stress test and echocardiogram to rule out underlying heart disease.

Pam
Gregg,

Sorry to be so tardy in responding. Been fixing up my home to sell it.

At the very least I'd add high sensitivitity (hs) TSH, CRP, electrolytes (Na, K) to the blood lab work. If you're drinking waller water, especially if unneutralized, or any mineral water (alkaline) in large quantities, I'd be sure to include HCO3- (CO2) to get a handle on your blood pH buffering system. If you can't get him to order an intracellular mineral analysis, ask for an "ionized" blood Mg++. I'm about to repeat my annual intracellular mineral analysis (www.exatest.com) to see whether all this Mg supplementation has made any intracellular difference.

If you have heartburn or if your episodes are postprandial or triggered in any way by upper GI activity, e.g., a late or large evening meal, I'd talk to him about GERD.

If your episodes were longer or if you had diabetes, previous TIA or stroke or systolic BP>140mm Hg, I might consider adding some lab tests to discern any genetic predisposition toward clotting. Plasma Leiden factor mutation (related to factor V - a clotting factor) and activated protein C resistance are both markers of a hypercoagulable state. Also fasting homocysteine levels indicate susceptibility to atherothrombosis.

Good luck

PC
What is the name of HCO3- ?

Thankyou

Adrian
Adrian,

HCO3- = bicarbonate, a base (accepts H+, as opposed to an acid that donates an H+).

HCO3- + H+ => CO2 + H2O

PC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login