Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who Are The Best EP's

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Who Are The Best EP's
October 15, 2003 01:09AM
Good Morning

How would I go about locating a list of the best EP's.

I am ready for a ablation and I of course want a doctor that will supply the best chance of success, every Clinic states that they are the best, and they may be but how do you know for sure, there must be a score card somewhere.

I have an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic but thats not for another six months and I am not sure I can wait that long.

Thanks

Joe
njb
Re: Who Are The Best EP's
October 15, 2003 06:34AM
Joe-

That IS the million dollar question!!!! I wish I knew for sure, but I don't.

Of course, you probably know the Cleveland Clinic is world renowned for heart care. I don't think you can't go too far wrong with them.

Personally, over the past 5 hears I have had contact with about 10 of the "best" EP'S in northeast Ohio. I guess I formed an opinion about them through my gut feeling about their level of competency and their apparent concern for the patient. I did ask about their success rate & # of procedures they had performed.

Another question I never got an answer to before my pulmonary vein ablation was how can you be sure that the statistics the doctors give you are true. My conclusion was that you just have to trust them-- and for me it takes a certain amount of time & experience to build up trust in any doctor.

I had a PVI at Cleveland Clinic on August 4, 2003. As far as I know, I am cured of atrial fibrillation. However, I did have 3 flutter ablations elsewhere before my PVI. But without a Holter Monitor or cardiac event monitor, I can't be sure that I'm not having some arrythmia. Sometimes I do have some symptoms, but I only guess right about 50% of the time.

Gotta go,
njb
njb
October 15, 2003 06:53AM
someone came to door--

Correction-"I don't think you CAN go wrong with the Cleveland Clinic"-i.e. I don't know of anyplace with a better reputation.

I understand the feeling of not being able to wait the 6 months. My regular EP called the Clinic & requested that they move my appt. up because I had gradually gone into permanent afib--neither strong meds &/or cardioversion got me out of afib. At first they only moved my appt. up about 3 or 4 weeks. Then I got a call on Aug. 1st saying the had a cancellation for Aug. 4th & did I want it. I took it. So, perhaps you can get your regular doc to call the Clinic & request appt. be moved up.

Hang in there, Joe.
njb
Denny
October 15, 2003 12:09PM
An acquaintance of mine suffered heat exhaustion several years ago and one of the unfortunate by-products was nasty afib (BTW, we live in Ohio). Among the many places he visited in hopes of an answer was the Cleveland Clinic, who told him that they could not help him. Long story short, he happened upon Dr. Blair Grubb at the Medical College of Ohio who has kept him episode-free for six years. It was his recommendation that helped me find Dr. Yousef Kanjwal, an associate of Dr. Grubb, who has done good things for me as well. Granted, the CC has made great strides in the intervening six+ years, but the EP's at MCO are very highly regarded, if not as well known.
Fran
October 16, 2003 05:41AM
Is Dr Grubb not the great dysautonomia Dr. I would think he would be better suited to AF treatment than even an EP. He may understand whats really happening to the ANS.

Fran
Denny
October 16, 2003 11:39AM
Hello Fran,

I cannot directly answer your question. Here is a link (I hope it works) that profiles him.

[www.mco.vasculardomain.com]
Joe
October 16, 2003 11:57AM
Thanks to all who are trying to help me with the ultimate question, all information is appreciated.

Joe
Gwen
October 18, 2003 01:47PM

Hi Joe

You must live near me because of the elknet.net.

There are EP's on staff at Lakeland Memorial Medical Center.
They do their procedures in Milwaukee at St Lukes.

I had a Pulmonary Vein Ablation in Dec. at Loyola University Medical
Center in Maywood, Ill. by Dr. David Wilber. He's been doing them
for more than 5 yrs. He has the same success rate as CC.
My EP in Elkhorn made the arrangements for me and said I made
a good choice. I am Afib free and was off meds 2 weeks after
ablation. There is a BUT. I have to go back for a touch up. I have
some flutter (not very often) and my heart races when I walk up
hills, swim, when I carry things heavy, when I bend over etc. After
having a montor on for a month Dr. Wilber wants to have another
ablation. He said because I was off amiodarone only 2 months, it
didn't show up. I'm going back to Loyola Oct 28th for the ablation.
I like Dr Wilber very much and the lab at Loyola. My Dr here in
Elkhorn, Wi thinks I'm doing the right thing.

Gwen 71
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login