Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium Oxide vs Chelated

Posted by Stephen 
Stephen
Magnesium Oxide vs Chelated
October 14, 2003 01:17PM
Visited my cardio today and while he was listening to my heart it missed a couple of beats (PACS) which he said although not a problem can me the marker for AF. He told me he has been seeing excellent results controlling AF with Magnesium Oxide – 1 gram a day. H said they come in 250 mg. of which he said to take four of daily. He did forewarn me of diarrhea side effects.
I am bad with numbers so presume 1 gram is 1,000 mgs. hence the four 250 mgs daily. I, however, read on this site somewhere to use Chelated Magnesium of which I ordered and just received ten bottles of 100 mg tablets which I started taking today. He said to use them up but
magnesium oxide more effective. Any disagreement with posters on this site familiar with both forms? Also, I raised concerns about calcium channel blockers I have read about since I am on 48 mgs a day. He said although much has been written in medical literature grouping all calcium channel blockers --------- Tiazac is the best and safest!

Stephen
Carol
Re: Magnesium Oxide vs Chelated
October 15, 2003 02:52AM
You are so lucky to have such an up- to - date cardiologist, one who is willing to use so - called alternative approaches!

Dr. Mildred Seelig is the authority on magnesium. She does not mention the chelated glycinate form in her book, The Magnesium Factor, and I don't know why. I believe it is the oxide form that she recommends. My book is on loan, so can't double check this for you.

Carol
Hans Larsen
October 15, 2003 03:12AM
Stephen and Carol,

Please see the following MEDLINE abstract

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Hans
Carol
October 16, 2003 02:46AM
Hans,
I didn't see magnesium glycinate mentioned in the Firoz and Graber abstract that you mentioned. It shows that oxide not a good form, but I am still in the dark about glycinate as far as studies are concerned.

Carol
David Price
October 16, 2003 09:12AM
FWIW:
Walt Stoll's site (generally considered whacky, but he was dead right about my hiatus hernia) dismisses oxide, in favour of pretty much anything with an 'ate' on the end. I've been using glycinate for a while and it seems to be effective. WS argues that oxide goes straight through the gut into the bowel, whereas the chelated forms ahve much more absorbtion - I take about 400 mg a day, but I've become less picky about what I take - apart from oxide.

David
Mike F. V42
David - off topic
October 16, 2003 06:55PM
David,

You didn't by any slight chance grow up in Bedale North Yorks did you?
Carol
Re: David - off topic
October 17, 2003 01:45AM
Hans,
Was I mistaken in thinking that the Medline abstract was supposed to include comment on the glycinate form of magnesium?

Please see my post attached to this.

Carol
David Price
Re: Mike - off topic
October 17, 2003 08:55PM
Mike:
No, I didn't. Further north - Jarrow Co Durham (I come from good marching stock!)
Hans Larsen
Re: Mike - off topic
October 20, 2003 06:32AM
Carol,

Actually the intent of my posting was just to point out that there is scientific evidence to back up the claim that magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed. I would think that pretty well any organic magnesium compound is better absorbed than is magnesium oxide. I have, a long time back, studied the Albion Process patent (US # 4,499,152) and some of their literature:

www.albionlabs.com/human/Newsletter/1997January.pdf

I find it all makes a lot of sense and personally believe that magnesium diglycinate or chelated magnesium (same thing) is the most bioavailable form of magnesium. I use it myself. I have not come across any medical studies comparing the oxide and the glycinate in normal, healthy subjects.

Hans

PS. You can find the Albion Patent at the US Patent Office web site.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login