Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tambocor or flecainide?

Posted by Stan B. 
Stan B.
Tambocor or flecainide?
October 13, 2003 11:52AM
I am wondering why those of you who take Tambocor take it instead of its generic form, flecainide. Also, I am wondering why those who take flecainide take it instead of its name-brand equivalent, Tambocor.

I am on Tambocor ( 100 mg twice a day) and have been doing very well on it. Since I started taking it, I have not had a single breakthrough of afib in almost five months now. My EP recommennds Tambocor over flecainide since he feels there are less breakthroughs with the name-brand. My experience seems to bear him out. Since I am doing so well on the brand name I am reluctant to change. I know the brand name and the generic have the same chemical formula, but I worry that the pills are not made in exactly the same way, and that this difference could have some subtle effect on my heart.

The problem is that my insurance company is charging me the difference in price between the generic form and the brand name, a difference of $97.57 per month which I have to pay for the Tambocor, because a generic form is available but my doctor chooses for me not to use it. If I used the flecainide, the generic, I would only pay $7.00 per month.

If you were me, would you call your EP to see if he would write a prescription for the generic to save over $90.00 per month. That is a lot of money to save and a major motivator to change to the generic. It is just that I am doing so well on the Tambocor, I am a little afraid to change.
If it weren't a heart drug, I wouldn't be so reluctant to change.

What would your advice be?

Stan
Susan
Re: Tambocor or flecainide?
October 13, 2003 11:58AM
While I wouldn't sacrifice my health situation for any amount of money,
I think the worse thing that could happen by trying the generic is that
you experience more episodes, as opposed to any serious effect on your
heart. Why not try the generic and if you get breakthrough episodes,
switch back. If your episodes are not too bad, I don't see the harm.
If they are intolerable then stick with the Tambocor.

FYI, I use the generic on demand only and it works like a charm.
Jerry Smith
October 14, 2003 04:32AM
Hi Stan:
I took Tambocor for about a year and switched to flecainide at request of the insurance company about a year ago. I checked with the cardio before doing so and he said it was okay. I haven't noticed any difference and haven't had any AFIB for two years since starting the drugs. I don't like the drugs but they seem to control AFIB for me up to this point.

Jerry
Fran
October 14, 2003 05:22AM
I think for your own peace of mind (peace of mind is great for AF) ask your Dr to write for the Tambacor.

I've heard from many people who do much better on the brand name on many pills. By law the active ingredients have to be the same, however the binders and fillers that the generic use can affect absorption - and some people react to certain binders and fillers. As the generic is cheaper it stands to reason they use cheap binders and fillers.

Just my thoughts

Fran
David Price
October 16, 2003 09:44AM
In my experience, there's absolutely no differnece.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login