Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Too much magnesium?

Posted by Bill B 
Bill B
Too much magnesium?
October 12, 2003 04:31AM
Hello All,

As I have been nearing my ablation decision, I have continued to try natural remedies. The obvious one was magnesium. I had been taking 400-800 mg citrate for many years. About three weeks ago, I switched to glycinate. For two weeks I was using 720 mg/day, without much effect. On Wednesday or so, I jumped it up to 960 mg.

The good news is I went into pretty solid NSR. The bad news is I also have had horrible gastric distress and diarrhea the last two days. Not your run-of-the-mill loose stool, mind you. The full-blown, “God, kill me now” variety. I don’t even know if it was the magnesium – could have been something else I ate or a bug. But even the 120 mg pill I tried yesterday, seemed to aggravate it. With little mg the last few days, and general dehydration, I fell back out of NSR after 3 three good days – rare for me.

Does this sound like the mg did it, or is something else going on? No one else in the house has gotten sick. The food I’m wondering about was in the train station – so no one else here had it.

By the way, my weekly pro-time number shot way up as well. I had to cut back my coumadin 50 percent (6 mg to 4 mg/day). Didn’t know mg could affect that until a recent post here.

BillB
48;A
Babs
Re: Too much magnesium?
October 12, 2003 04:58AM
Bill
you're not taking suppliments like Selinium are you or find it in any ingredients from any of your other suppliments. As a few weeks ago i forgot that in my Osteocare tablets for Magnes/Calcium etc., they also have Selenium in and bought some more to take which i did for couple weeks or so, until my ex husband mention that they are meant to be good for Prostate(Don't know if you saw my posting) so i checked it up and yes it is a blood thinner and boy it seems to work so well.

Two week previous my level was down to 1.80 when i realised before my next appointment 2 weeks later what they did i stopped as when i had my next test it shot upto 3.50 apart from me taking fish oil and even read somewhere that CoQ10 can affect the use of Warfarin raisng it a bit as well....right now im off warfarin for few days as having my Cataract done this wek urgh!! and no fish oil either till after.
The Pharmasist said to me at hospital that warfarin and selimium can work together i think they could work seperately would love to just take the alternatives.

Isn't Life Grand!!!(it's what you get inbetween that isn't)

Babs
Fran
October 12, 2003 06:29AM
First up I would suspect the Mg. Only because I saw what overdose Mg can do to someone. My husband suffers terrible reflux and had run out of his usual tums. So I said take some MoM that was in the cupboard. I didn't know I needed to tell him how much to take!!!! That night he was writhing around the bed, up and down, squirming and jumping up with fits and starts and running down to the loo again and again - you could also hear his tummy. He swore he had some bug. I didn't put two and two together until the following morning. More than half the bottle of MoM had gone. He had drunk it like it was milk!!

If I am wrong I hope you make a speedy recovery - and even if I'm not wrong. But remember whatever the cause you will have lost a lot of Mg, potassium salt etc and will need to replace it all sensibly.

Fran
Carol
October 12, 2003 07:02AM
Bill B.

Why don't you try reducing the amount of mg. gly to a comfortable dose and see if doesn't keep your afib in check.

Also, the balance of magnesium to calcium is very important. How much calcium is combined with the brand if magnesium that you take?

Also, how are you taking it? Divided in three doses a day? Taken with meals?

What is working for me - and I have very sensitive digestion - is a combination of Solgar brand mg. gly., which has calcium and KAL brand straight mg. gly. That way I get a total of 700 mg. Magnesium and 400 mg. calcium in supplement form.

Carol
Steve
October 14, 2003 09:58AM
I have been taking a potassium and magnesium aspartate blend for some months. Each capsule has 250 mg of both Mg and K in it. Recently, I increased the dosage to 3 caps spaced from the AM to bedtime.

I have not noticed the gastric problems... altho, I have my own gluten problems... but the Mg at 750 mg per day seems to (perhaps) keep my more or less persistent AFib/AFlutter in a better check than before. Plus, there is 200 mg of Mg in my All One vitamins that I take each day.

It could be just anecdotal, but my AF seems to have more intervals of NSR since I have increased my Mg dose. Could be coincidental as well, I suppose.

Yeah, I'm often bloated and loose stools, but that could be from the gluten deal. I will continue with the Mg/K dosage I'm taking ... seems to make the AF better. And that's kewl with me. smiling smiley Steve
Erling
October 14, 2003 01:11PM
Steve,

Some time back the problem with magnesium aspartate (aspartate = salt of aspartic acid) was discussed on this BB. Aspartic acid is an excitatory amino acid, and can even be an "excitotoxin". My personal experience was that magnesium aspartate actually increased my a-fib, although other forms of magnesium were instrumental in eliminating my a-fib. You might want to switch to the highly recommended magnesium glycinate form (glycinate = salt of glycine, another amino acid).

Erling ex 75
Steve
October 16, 2003 11:13AM
Erling..... thanx. I'll look for the glycinate form of Mg you suggested. Altho, I seem to be 'better' with what I am presently taking. But, the 'experiment' will be interesting to try. Thanx again. STEVE
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login