Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mucinex

Posted by greyhoundgal 
Mucinex
April 22, 2024 07:34AM
I am 77 years old and weigh 103 lbs and have a horrible chest cold. 2nd day. I have been drinking hot water and steaming my face to break up the mucus. It has been working somewhat. I hate to take over the counter meds and was concerned that Mucinex might raise my heart rate. Do you think that it would be safe for me to take? It is the 12 hour extended release Mucinex pills that contain guaifenesin 1200 mg. Really don't want to raise my heart rate unnecessarily.

Had a successful cardiac ablation in 2017 with Natale. Don't want to jinx anything.
Re: Mucinex
April 22, 2024 08:58AM
One of the easiest and best things to try is a vaporizer, like they used to suggest for babies, next to the bed and on all the time you're in or near it.

Cost is about $20.
April 22, 2024 09:59AM
Mucinex should be okay. And if you've had a successful ablation, you really don't need to be concerned about raising your heart rate.
April 22, 2024 10:07AM
Just make sure the particular formulation is guaifenesin only. They keep mixing in other ingredients with all these cold meds.

Jim
April 22, 2024 10:22AM
Thank you Carey and Jim!

Yes it is the only ingredient but it does have inactive ingredients which look questionable such as carbomer homopolymor Type B, FD&C Blue No. 1, hypromellose USP, magnesium stearate, NF, microcrystilline cellulose, NF, and sodium starch glycolate, NF.

I am so sensitive to any meds.
April 22, 2024 11:05AM
Those inactive ingredients aren't meds. They're just inert stuff that binds the ingredients into a solid pill. You'll see them or other stuff like them in every pill made.
April 22, 2024 11:40AM
Carey
Mucinex should be okay. And if you've had a successful ablation, you really don't need to be concerned about raising your heart rate.

This. You've done very well, and should not fear a suddenly truculent heart because you've forced it to raise its rate by 15 bpm. For one thing, every time you rise from a seated position your heart rate jumps, just as it does when you awaken each morning. Climbing stairs, walking out to the car, pushing a grocery cart...take a look at your pulse when doing those and you'll find it's up over 100 easily, But it can sustain that because it's healthy and in normal rhythm. You should be able to walk for several miles at an elevated pace and not suffer unduly, nor make your heart cranky.

I had my second ablation just 14 months ago, and have resumed an outdoors climb at the sea's edge called the Goose Spit Steps. The lower set rises 100 fett over 145 steps, only two small landings to change direction, while beyond that is a mix of steps and climbing path that rises even more, so a double whammy. I take them all in one go, at 72 and only a year+ out of a second ablation. By the time I'm halfway up the first set, my HR is 145, according to my Samsung Galaxy watch. And it stays there as long as I sustain the pace and continue to climb without breaks. This takes about six minutes in all..

If you have no PACs or other blips, and have been free of AF for this long, you shouldn't fear a medication that can help you to feel less stress and anxiety, which are also known triggers.
April 22, 2024 02:08PM
I try to avoid decongestants. Anything with a D in the name.
April 22, 2024 02:25PM
greyhoundgal
Had a successful cardiac ablation in 2017 with Natale.

Wow nice, 7 years afib free!
April 22, 2024 02:38PM
gloaming
I had my second ablation just 14 months ago, and have resumed an outdoors climb at the sea's edge called the Goose Spit Steps. The lower set rises 100 fett over 145 steps, only two small landings to change direction, while beyond that is a mix of steps and climbing path that rises even more, so a double whammy. I take them all in one go, at 72 and only a year+ out of a second ablation. By the time I'm halfway up the first set, my HR is 145, according to my Samsung Galaxy watch. And it stays there as long as I sustain the pace and continue to climb without breaks. This takes about six minutes in all..

It's nice you are doing so well with this, the beautiful scenery helps! I climbed the steppers at gym, no fun. I am 9-month post ablation. I do Zumba class twice a week, my HR reaches 150 but comes down pretty quickly afterwards. My heart still feel jumpy sometime, especially evening time when I go to bed. I usually get up and take an extra magnesium to calm it down.
April 22, 2024 03:59PM
Thanks Gloaming for the information. I never thought of it that way. I have never bothered taking my heart rate reading while exercising or walking briskly/jogging as every year I do so well on my stress echo tests. I walk a greyhound at a very fast pace twice a day without fail, rain or shine. The is my 5th greyhound and can't remember ever living without one. My greyhound and magnesium keep me calm.

I remember Natale telling me at the 6 month checkup after the ablation that if I kept a healthy lifestyle I shouldn't need a touchup but said that when I get into my. 80's if I need another touchup to just give him a call. I know I worry too much about it. I even have my dermatologist use the non-ephenephrine anesthetizing needle before taking something off my skin, LOL! Same with my dentist.

As for the Mucinex I called my Dr. and he said Mucinex is like a sugar pill and that I don't need it. Just needs to run its course.
April 22, 2024 04:51PM
You're most welcome. OOOooooooohhhhmmmm.... OOOOoooooooooohhhhmmmmmmmm..... winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2024 01:28AM by gloaming.
April 22, 2024 05:19PM
greyhoundgal
I remember Natale telling me at the 6 month checkup after the ablation that if I kept a healthy lifestyle I shouldn't need a touchup but said that when I get into my. 80's if I need another touchup to just give him a call.

So it sounds like he is okay doing touchups on patients in their 80's? I wondered about that as, though I had my index ablation with him when I was 78, I have now crossed the 80's threshold -- so far so good, but glad to hear he said this to you.
April 22, 2024 07:55PM
greyhoundgal

Yes it is the only ingredient but it does have inactive ingredients which look questionable such as carbomer homopolymor Type B, FD&C Blue No. 1, hypromellose USP, magnesium stearate, NF, microcrystilline cellulose, NF, and sodium starch glycolate, NF.

I am so sensitive to any meds.

As long as they're listed as "inactive ingredients" you should be fine. However some Mucilex brand formulations have other active meds, such as Mucinex DM and Mucinex Fast Max and maybe others.. Those you should avoid if you're just looking for an expectorant. All you need is Guaifenesin.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2024 07:57PM by mjamesone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login