Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablate with Dr.Natale or have a linq monitor with Dr.Wolf?

Posted by Fuzzyduck 
Ablate with Dr.Natale or have a linq monitor with Dr.Wolf?
March 28, 2024 09:43PM
I'll try to be brief, but in November I ended up in ER with Afib which I had had for 44 hours. I was chemically converted. It is possible I have had it once or twice before following a migraine and vomiting. I have not had it since November although I have had some atrial flutters etc, which have calmed down mostly. I am 57, fit, active and don't have any other risk factors. I don't take meds but have begun taking Eliquis in preparation for an ablation with Dr. Natale in April. I didn't get to speak to Dr.Natale for my pre-op, just his NP and she didn't have my ekgs with afib from ER. But, should I have an ablation considering I have only had one registered afib event of 44 hours (and I have probably had a couple of events during the past 10 years)- or should I have a linq monitor with Dr. Wolf to see what is going on with my arrhythmias (ironically I was given the go ahead for a linq monitor literally 10 minutes before my scheduled call with Dr.N's EP in Austin which threw me off a little). Basically I don't want to take risks I don't need to take, I am a caregiver of two with some severe issues and I can't afford to have anything go wrong, I just don't know what to do...monitor and wait or go ahead and get it over and done with - any advice? Thank you
Re: Ablate with Dr.Natale or have a linq monitor with Dr.Wolf?
March 28, 2024 11:05PM
An episode lasting 44 hours pretty much removes all doubt that you have afib and it's not going to go away. If you postpone the ablation to wait for monitor results, the results might come back clear simply because no afib occurred during the week or two you had the monitor. But that doesn't mean you don't have afib and it almost certainly will return. You didn't say when in April your ablation is scheduled but even if it's late April you're going to be cutting it close between getting the monitor results and having to make a decision.

If the Dr. Wolf you mention is who I assume it is and you're considering a Maze procedure, be aware how that's going to impact your role as a care provider. Even with a minimally-invasive mini-Maze the recovery time is going to be significantly longer and far more debilitating than an ablation. We're talking weeks vs. a day or three.

If I were in your shoes, I would either commit to the Natale ablation in April or put all of it off, get the monitor results, and step back to decide how you want to proceed.
March 29, 2024 08:10AM
Thank you, that is a helpful response!
March 29, 2024 01:21PM
I can speak only for me, but if your burden, and its effects on you these days, is minimal and not objectionable, then you probably have the luxury of time....for now. I would wait for the least intrusive and debilitating procedure, but given by arguably the best EP this side of the North Pole.
March 30, 2024 09:50AM
That makes sense. Thank you!
March 31, 2024 11:28AM
I experienced proximal atrial fibrillation for several months. For me an events could be dilatating but would self-correct. While my doctor diagnosed arrhythmia, had extreme difficulty documenting an event on a monitor or an EKG. Finally, had an event and went straight to my EP cardiologist and was able to capture the event on an EKG.

Had an ablation with Natale in March 2011 and event free since. Based on my experience would head to Austin!!.

Steve
Spring, Tx.
March 31, 2024 09:02PM
Thank you, I do think I am lucky that I am his patient and maybe should proceed, I just hope I am not being too proactive too early on! I am glad yours was a success! And you are just down the road from me, Katy, Tx....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login