Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Insomnia solutions?

Posted by hds 
hds
Insomnia solutions?
March 09, 2024 04:14PM
Hi all,

I have searched the forum for answers but found my situation might be somewhat unique. I had paroxysmal Afib, onset by a Covid infection and subsequent Long-Covid (still recovering - classic ME/CFS symptoms), and Afib appears to have stopped altogether which my cardiologist (EP) indicated might happen start to recover from Long-Covid.

I have bouts of insomnia and am looking for a safe way to get through the night. I usually wake up around 1-2am and this is very typical for people with Long-Covid due to hormone issues caused by the condition. I currently take 10mg Zaleplon to get back to sleep. I sleep anywhere between 6 and 9 hours, but interrupted, so low-quality sleep, and would still classify as insomnia.

Question: what is the 'safest' option for me to get me (mostly) through the night? - something that won't inadvertently trigger arrythmia:

1- Melatonin - what's a good dosage?
2- CBD, THC, a combination, or one of the other derivatives?
3- Something else?

Since it is hormone-caused, CBT-I is not an option. I can calm myself easily with Yoga Nidra.

Thanks in advance!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2024 06:08PM by hds.
Re: Insomnia solutions?
March 09, 2024 04:33PM
CBTI

Google it. Apparently, it's very successful and no drugs are involved, nor do you need to continue the therapy beyond about 6-12 sessions. I've heard multiple doctors praise it, including sleep experts.
March 09, 2024 04:36PM
I can only relate my use of melatonin for severe Insomnia. I purchased 3mg dosage pills and found at 3mg I woke up in the morning and was severely tired and sleepy for 5 to 6 hours after waking!! More tired than the insomnia. So I cut the pills in half for a dose of 1.5 mg and that seemed to be much better. My insomnia was from Sotolol and I finally got used to it and now have 4 to 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep with out the Melatonin. If it matters I weight 145lbs.
March 09, 2024 06:01PM
hds
Hi all,

I have searched the forum for answers but found my situation might be somewhat unique. I had paroxysmal Afib, onset by a Covid infection and subsequent Long-Covid (still recovering - classic ME/CFS symptoms), and Afib appears to have stopped altogether which my cardiologist (EP) indicated might happen start to recover from Long-Covid.

I have bouts of insomnia and am looking for a safe way to get through the night. I usually wake up around 1-2am and this is very typical for people with Long-Covid due to hormone issues caused by the condition. I currently take 10mg Zaleplon to get back to sleep. I sleep anywhere between 6 and 9 hours, but interrupted, so low-quality sleep, and would still classify as insomnia.

Question: what is the 'safest' option for me to get me (mostly) through the night? - something that won't inadvertently trigger arrythmia:

3- Something else?

Since it is hormone-caused, CBD-I is not an option. I can calm myself easily with Yoga Nidra.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience here! I have ME/CFS (onset post viral) and sleep has been an ongoing problem and I have sometimes resorted to medication so as not to be literally awake the whole night. Recently my Primary Care suggested a low dose of cannabis gummies but told me to check with my Electrophysiologist due to my history with Afib. I did and he suggested a certain dose of oral CBD rather than THC. Since he has treated me for Afib and that is his area of expertise, the risk of arrhythmia would be top in his mind. I have been using it and find it effective.

I have also seen a psychologist specializing in CBT for insomnia and after going through many sessions with me, she and I both agreed that it hadn't worked because my insomnia was coming from an imbalance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system that was biochemical and not responsive to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. That is my experience. If you would like more details, send me a private message.
hds
March 09, 2024 06:15PM
calvin
I can only relate my use of melatonin for severe Insomnia. I purchased 3mg dosage pills and found at 3mg I woke up in the morning and was severely tired and sleepy for 5 to 6 hours after waking!! More tired than the insomnia. So I cut the pills in half for a dose of 1.5 mg and that seemed to be much better. My insomnia was from Sotolol and I finally got used to it and now have 4 to 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep with out the Melatonin. If it matters I weight 145lbs.

Thanks, this is helpful. May start with 1mg. Do you take it daily?
hds
March 09, 2024 06:17PM
Daisy

Hi all,

3- Something else?

Since it is hormone-caused, CBD-I is not an option. I can calm myself easily with Yoga Nidra.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I have a lot of experience here! I have ME/CFS (onset post viral) and sleep has been an ongoing problem and I have sometimes resorted to medication so as not to be literally awake the whole night. Recently my Primary Care suggested a low dose of cannabis gummies but told me to check with my Electrophysiologist due to my history with Afib. I did and he suggested a certain dose of oral CBD rather than THC. Since he has treated me for Afib and that is his area of expertise, the risk of arrhythmia would be top in his mind. I have been using it and find it effective.

I have also seen a psychologist specializing in CBT for insomnia and after going through many sessions with me, she and I both agreed that it hadn't worked because my insomnia was coming from an imbalance between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system that was biochemical and not responsive to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. That is my experience. If you would like more details, send me a private message.

Very relevant indeed, LC considered to be the same as ME/CFS! Will follow up using private message as you suggested.
March 10, 2024 03:04AM
If you haven't been ruled out as a sufferer, sleep apnea, even a mild form, is enough to disrupt sleep. Might be worth a formal assessment.

Most people take far too much melatonin, and too often. I have seen research (didn't think to tag it, sorry) suggesting that taking it ever night is not a good idea. I don't sleep particularly well, and to my knowledge I have never had COVID. However, after both my angiogram and my two ablations, I found that sleep was elusive. I asked my GP and he prescribed a very stingy count of Zopiclone. My pharmacist, who knows about my OSA, cautioned me to take only a half pill the first night, not a whole one as prescribed, to see if that had enough of a soporific effect. Happily, it did, and even when I cut the halve in half I got a decent improvement. Sometimes, just the idea of getting help is enough to take the edge or worry off.

I don't know if it will be relevant for you, but I never take any assistance two consecutive nights, and I try to go at least three without. Yeah, some nights aren't great, but after each assistance I seem to be better either the next night or the one or two following. Then, I'll get another iffy coupla nights and it's back on the melatonin, or 1/4 Zopiclone (7.5 mg/tab). The point is to not rely on the drugs or they'll lose their efficacy over time, just as anti-arrhythmic drugs and rate control drugs seem to do for most of us.

As always, follow your prescriptions. They top my advice or anecdotal information.
hds
March 10, 2024 11:42AM
gloaming
If you haven't been ruled out as a sufferer, sleep apnea, even a mild form, is enough to disrupt sleep. Might be worth a formal assessment.

Most people take far too much melatonin, and too often. I have seen research (didn't think to tag it, sorry) suggesting that taking it ever night is not a good idea. I don't sleep particularly well, and to my knowledge I have never had COVID. However, after both my angiogram and my two ablations, I found that sleep was elusive. I asked my GP and he prescribed a very stingy count of Zopiclone. My pharmacist, who knows about my OSA, cautioned me to take only a half pill the first night, not a whole one as prescribed, to see if that had enough of a soporific effect. Happily, it did, and even when I cut the halve in half I got a decent improvement. Sometimes, just the idea of getting help is enough to take the edge or worry off.

I don't know if it will be relevant for you, but I never take any assistance two consecutive nights, and I try to go at least three without. Yeah, some nights aren't great, but after each assistance I seem to be better either the next night or the one or two following. Then, I'll get another iffy coupla nights and it's back on the melatonin, or 1/4 Zopiclone (7.5 mg/tab). The point is to not rely on the drugs or they'll lose their efficacy over time, just as anti-arrhythmic drugs and rate control drugs seem to do for most of us.

As always, follow your prescriptions. They top my advice or anecdotal information.

That's good into, thank you!

In the past I used 0.5mg of melatonin. How much are you taking?
March 10, 2024 02:06PM
The literature suggests that anywhere from 1-3 mg, and it's ALWAYS dependent on the person and their individual results and satisfaction with them. I see bottles from apparently reputable companies with 4 and all the way up to 10 mg. It's grossly excessive according to my research.

I take the Jamieson 3 mg. Also, there's a heavier hammer made and sold by Jamieson, with the label 'Melatonin' in bold, and below it 'Stress & Sleep Support'. Peel-back label shows hops, chamomile, valerian, and passionflower included in the blue capsules. Melatonin is still 3 mg. I have resorted to this about twice a month, no more, for a little extra oomph, and it does seem to get me another 30-40 minutes of sleep. It's particularly helpful, that little bit, because often I awaken right after dreaming, and it happens during that added bulk of time. According to my respiratory therapist who schooled me initially about CPAP machines, this last dream or two is the icing on the cake when it comes to sleep quality.
March 10, 2024 02:25PM
You've been given some very good advice, but you're not doing it already, you might first want to up your sleep hygiene habits.

One bad habit a lot of us have is laying in bed in bed too much while we're awake. So keep the bed exclusively for sleeping and not for relaxing.

And along these lines, if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep in say 15-20 minutes -- then best to get up, sit in a chair with with lights on low and read a book or listen to some music until hopefully you will feel the need to sleep.

If you stay in bed too long while awake, your body will begin to associate being awake and being in bed, which is the opposite of what you want.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 02:26PM by mjamesone.
March 10, 2024 08:31PM
Carey
CBTI

Google it. Apparently, it's very successful and no drugs are involved, nor do you need to continue the therapy beyond about 6-12 sessions. I've heard multiple doctors praise it, including sleep experts.

I agree. Check out Tracy the Sleep Coach and she has a private free FB group as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2024 08:43PM by bettylou4488.
March 11, 2024 12:30AM
I have had excellent results with Valerian. I have no trouble getting to sleep but cannot stay asleep. The Valerian helps with that while the Melatonin doesn't.
March 12, 2024 07:11PM
mjamesone
You've been given some very good advice, but you're not doing it already, you might first want to up your sleep hygiene habits.

One bad habit a lot of us have is laying in bed in bed too much while we're awake. So keep the bed exclusively for sleeping and not for relaxing.

And along these lines, if you wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep in say 15-20 minutes -- then best to get up, sit in a chair with with lights on low and read a book or listen to some music until hopefully you will feel the need to sleep.

If you stay in bed too long while awake, your body will begin to associate being awake and being in bed, which is the opposite of what you want.

Jim
You hit it on the nail! Our apartment is too small for even a small couch so we lay in bed reading or watching movies. I guess my body adored so i can’t sleep.
March 19, 2024 05:03PM
I think I read all of the suggestions up to now, and no one mentioned the amount of magnesium you are taking. Using Magnesium threonate just before bed keeps me sleeping longer. I also sleep longer when using my C-pap. I had no idea I had sleep apnea until I was tested. The c pap did nothing to stop the Afib, but does help me sleep longer. Also no one mentioned the hormone Progesterone. Both men and women can take it and THAT is what truly gets me through the night. It's hard to find a medical practitioner who knows how to use it, but functional or integrative MDs might know. I get advice from a pharmacist who has studied hormones her entire career. Carol Petersen. thewellnessbydesignproject.com Good luck!
March 19, 2024 11:09PM
Since you can calm yourself with Yoga Nidra that is what I would suggest. Sit up on the couch cross-legged style with back support and just do breathing and at the same time give up on sleeping. Yuttadahmo Bukkhu (Buddhist monk) on youtube says we only need 4 hours of sleep and meditation is very restful on its own. I find abandoning the hope and struggle of trying to sleep the best thing for me.

Melatonin, both the natural kind and the synthetic prescription kind give me afib, so I'd stay away from it. I wouldn't go searching for a pill or drug, I'd look for healthy food based solutions, but that's just me. I'm sure you're doing the best you can to stay healthy.

That light sleeping and waking up a lot is for the birds and holy cow does it make me feel crappy, so I feel your pain. I'd try serious sitting-up meditating.
Ken
March 20, 2024 08:31AM
My best sleep comes after a day of good physical activity - Working out, golf, windsurfing, walking, skiing, etc. My worst sleep comes after a day of doing nothing. A tired body needs rest/sleep. Unless you are bedridden, do your best to get moving.
March 20, 2024 04:00PM
I use melatonin sparingly, maybe once every five-seven days. Only ever 3mg, which the research seems to have settled on being the maximum needed dose. It causes me no heart problems, nor did it when I had AF occasionally. We're all different.

Ken brings up a good wellness point. Physical exertion, not done too long or too hard, can lead to improved sleep. As Dick Proenneke used to say, the guy who lived in the Alaskan wilderness alone for 30 years, 'People don't do enough physical work these days. It's surprising how comfortable a hard bunk can be when you come back down off a mountain.'

I believe that procrastination is another sleep thief. Neglecting important matters, or avoiding unpleasant conversations, will have your mind alert far more than dealing with them, even if they don't always come out in your favour.
March 20, 2024 05:14PM
gloaming
Only ever 3mg, which the research seems to have settled on being the maximum needed dose.

Yep, read an article about melatonin a while back, and research found that the most effective dose is in that range, while higher doses actually have a paradoxical effect that impacts sleep negatively. But most people don't realize that and assume more is better, so they buy the supplements with the highest dosage. The supplement makers know this so keep boosting the dosages so their product is the highest dosage on the shelf, which is the one you shouldn't buy.
March 20, 2024 09:41PM
Carey

Only ever 3mg, which the research seems to have settled on being the maximum needed dose.

Yep, read an article about melatonin a while back, and research found that the most effective dose is in that range, while higher doses actually have a paradoxical effect that impacts sleep negatively. But most people don't realize that and assume more is better, so they buy the supplements with the highest dosage. The supplement makers know this so keep boosting the dosages so their product is the highest dosage on the shelf, which is the one you shouldn't buy.

One of my cardiologists is very big on sleep- and he put me on to one that was 0.3 mg. It is what he takes. You can find it n amazon.
April 12, 2024 08:43PM
I know I am adding this question to an older post, but I am hoping it gets read. I just had a sleep clinic appointment for insomnia and the first recommendation is that I try a low dose of melatonin nightly . The doctor said that since melatonin is a hormone that is naturally created in the body it does not interact with any medications. I did a quick search on Medscape and saw there was an interaction with Eliquis. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated,
April 12, 2024 11:34PM
Pixie
I did a quick search on Medscape and saw there was an interaction with Eliquis. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated,

Medscape isn't where I would look for interactions, or much of anything about drugs, actually.

The interactions checker on drugs.com (which I do trust) found no interactions between Eliquis and melatonin. And I'm confident they're right for the reasons your doctor said. Melatonin is produced by your body naturally. I don't know what Medscape had to say, but it almost doesn't make sense to say there's an interaction with Eliquis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2024 11:46AM by Carey.
April 13, 2024 02:02AM
When I had to overnight in the ER six days after my first ablation, they gave me melatonin and Zopiclone when I said I hadn't been sleeping for about a week. I'm gonna fall on the side that it is not contraindicated with apixaban, which I had been taking daily for about four years by that time.
April 13, 2024 09:37AM
Carey and gloaming, thanks for responding.
Carey, I usually use drugs.com, but for whatever reason, for this I used Medscape. Glad to hear you consider drugs,com a good site. I will stay with that from now on. Based on your response and gloaming’s experience, I will begin taking melatonin. My doc and I feel a small dose will be beneficial. If not, CBT appears to be the gold standard and I will try that,
April 13, 2024 10:57AM
Carey, I just used drugs.com to see if melatonin interacts with diltiazem XR. It shows a moderate interaction. Would hesitate to take a low dose because of this interaction?
April 13, 2024 11:45AM
No, I wouldn't hesitate. Are you taking the diltiazem for rate control or hypertension? If it's for rate control then the interaction doesn't matter at all. If it's for hypertension, just watch your BP for a few days and if it goes up, talk to the doc who prescribed it about perhaps changing dosage.
April 13, 2024 11:51AM
Carey
No, I wouldn't hesitate. Are you taking the diltiazem for rate control or hypertension? If it's for rate control then the interaction doesn't matter at all. If it's for hypertension, just watch your BP for a few days and if it goes up, talk to the doc who prescribed it about perhaps changing dosage.

Carey, I should have mentioned it is for rate control. As usual, I appreciate the expertise you bring to this forum!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login