Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thinners

Posted by Dovewing 
Thinners
January 18, 2024 01:12PM
Hi all.. With doctor Natale.. Do you have to take blood thinners before and after the ablation.. Thank you
Re: Thinners
January 18, 2024 01:37PM
You will be asked to desist from your normal anti-coagulant, normally...often...apixaban. You take your last dose the morning, no later than noon, the day prior to the procedure. They'll maybe give you something in the surgery or just before they take you in. Then, you'll resume whichever prescribed meds the EP says you should commence when you are to commence it again, normally the night of the day of surgery.
January 18, 2024 01:39PM
Thank u
January 18, 2024 01:50PM
Natale practices continuous anticoagulation for ablations, which means you will be told to continue the apixaban, even the day of the procedure. In fact, he pioneered that practice which is steadily becoming the standard.
January 18, 2024 01:51PM
Ohh and I meant to add that I'm not on blood thinners now and I can't take them bleeding history and have low platelets... Does that disqualify me from the ablation…thks Carey
January 18, 2024 01:51PM
Yes, Dr. Natale asks that you remain on your anticoagulant--even taking a dose the morning of the procedure. Most patients will have been on one for a good period before their ablation and will be asked to continue afterwards unless being directed that it is okay to stop after some period. You will also be given heparin during the ablation.
January 18, 2024 01:53PM
Dovewing
Ohh and I meant to add that I'm not on blood thinners now and I can't take them bleeding history and have low platelets... Does that disqualify me from the ablation…thks Carey

Carey and I replied at the same time. With your history, that would be something to discuss with Dr. Natale.
January 18, 2024 02:26PM
Yes..thk u
January 18, 2024 04:28PM
Dovewing
Ohh and I meant to add that I'm not on blood thinners now and I can't take them bleeding history and have low platelets... Does that disqualify me from the ablation…

I can't see that disqualifying you. And I wouldn't expect him to start you on them for an ablation, especially with that history, but obviously you'll have to get that from him.
January 18, 2024 05:13PM
Yes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login