Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tremors and racing heart while sitting on couch.

Posted by Rucan 
Tremors and racing heart while sitting on couch.
January 04, 2024 10:35PM
Does anyone get internal tremors and fast heart rate while laying on the couch (sometimes after eating)? This happened again to me tonight and it has happened before. I sometimes feel what feels like shakes or like tremors in my back and sides when I am sitting against the arm rest on the couch (ususally my right side). It happened again tonight where I almost went to the hospital again. When it happens my heart races from 80 to 125-140BPM and leaves me weak to the point I almost pass out. My heart then stays 105-115 BPM for hours. I am exhausted during this time and unable to work the next day. I have gone to the hospital before a couple of times when this has happened and the blood work and ECG's all come back good and they never have answers for me and can't explain my sudden and sustained high heart rate and exhaustion.
Re: Tremors and racing heart while sitting on couch.
January 04, 2024 11:11PM
Yes, I'm with you on feeling internal vibrations/tremors and then experiencing the high heart rate. It sounds so crazy to people that don't experience it, and it is a bit baffling. When I first reported the feeling to my GP (before Afib diagnosis), she gave me a strange look and said it must be gas. I knew she didn't really have a clue and wasn't interested in investigating. I used to get really jumpy when it happened (like jump out of bed jumpy), but now I try to stop myself, take a few relaxing breaths, and wait for the HR to come down. When I used to jump up, I think I made the heart reaction worse, and it would sometimes lead to afib/pvc's. I've been reading about the vagal nerve and its relationship with the heart, stomach, and intestines. I'm wondering if maybe the vagal nerve is causing muscles to spasm and that's what I'm feeling. I hope this helps to know others feel similar symptoms. You're not alone. smiling smiley
January 04, 2024 11:45PM
TellMeMore
Yes, I'm with you on feeling internal vibrations/tremors and then experiencing the high heart rate. It sounds so crazy to people that don't experience it, and it is a bit baffling. When I first reported the feeling to my GP (before Afib diagnosis), she gave me a strange look and said it must be gas. I knew she didn't really have a clue and wasn't interested in investigating. I used to get really jumpy when it happened (like jump out of bed jumpy), but now I try to stop myself, take a few relaxing breaths, and wait for the HR to come down. When I used to jump up, I think I made the heart reaction worse, and it would sometimes lead to afib/pvc's. I've been reading about the vagal nerve and its relationship with the heart, stomach, and intestines. I'm wondering if maybe the vagal nerve is causing muscles to spasm and that's what I'm feeling. I hope this helps to know others feel similar symptoms. You're not alone. smiling smiley

When it happens to you and you have an episode does it exhaust you and keep your heart rate up? Does it make you feel like you'e about to die? It happened again tonight and that is what it felt like. My kardiamobile did not show afib, Never does. Just Tachycardia. I did an electorphysiology test with my EP because my cardiologist thought I had wolfe parkinson white syndrome. But the EP said I do not have wpw. And he would not test for Afib during the electorphysiology test because I did not have documented proof on an ecg and it comes with a risk to test without proof. To this day I still don't know what I have. My ecg's are always good and so is my blood work and echo's. The cardiologists don't know either. I am constantly in fear. But I do know I do feel internal tremors when sitting against the couch arm sometimes and that can trigger one of these episodes where it races my heart and wipes me out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2024 08:10PM by Rucan.
January 05, 2024 11:52AM
Did you ask your EP about Atrial Flutter? What you are describing sounds like that. It is a fast but regular rate yet it differs from ordinary tachycardia. Many of us have had it and it can be successfully treated with an ablation. I had both Afib and Aflutter, as many do, and my Kardia would report Tachycardia when it was actually flutter—it can’t distinguish. I went into my ablation in flutter and thankfully came out in normal sinus rhythm after Natale “chased arrhythmias around my heart” as they changed from Aflutter to Afib and back again.
January 05, 2024 04:07PM
Daisy
Did you ask your EP about Atrial Flutter? What you are describing sounds like that. It is a fast but regular rate yet it differs from ordinary tachycardia. Many of us have had it and it can be successfully treated with an ablation. I had both Afib and Aflutter, as many do, and my Kardia would report Tachycardia when it was actually flutter—it can’t distinguish. I went into my ablation in flutter and thankfully came out in normal sinus rhythm after Natale “chased arrhythmias around my heart” as they changed from Aflutter to Afib and back again.

So it will say normal sinus rhythm and tachycardia on the kardiamobile when it could actually be atrial flutter? My episodes are exhausting to the point of fainting with heart rate as high as 160BPM at times, But the kardiamobile always says "Normal Sinus Rythm" and Tachycardia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2024 05:03PM by Rucan.
January 05, 2024 05:15PM
Rucan
So it will say normal sinus rhythm and tachycardia on the kardiamobile when it could actually be atrial flutter? My episodes are exhausting to the point of fainting with heart rate as high as 160BPM at times, But the kardiamobile always says "Normal Sinus Rythm" and Tachycardia.

Yes, Kardia can’t differentiate between Flutter and Tachycardia — it will label both Tachycardia. Flutter often has very high rates and can feel exhausting. It takes a 12 lead EKG and an experienced EP to diagnose Flutter.
January 05, 2024 05:30PM
Rucan
So it will say normal sinus rhythm and tachycardia on the kardiamobile when it could actually be atrial flutter?

Yes, flutter is hard to diagnose without a 12 lead ECG. The Kardia device uses the large beat to beat variability to diagnose afib. Flutter, on the other hand, has a very regular beat. The only time I personally see flutter is when I used to use a larger dose of flecainide to convert afib (I now use 1/3 less). With the larger dose, the afib would convert to flutter and then back to afib. Using a beat to beat recording heart rate monitor, recording for the whole episode, the flutter would look very regular in the midst of the chaotic afib. It would just be a high rate (say 130 BPM). I should note that my flutter is an assumption on my part as I never tested the hypothesis with a 12 lead. If I put a Kardia on during this time, it would likely say "tachycardia."

Years ago, a member, Mark, in the UK provided me with a bunch of graphs of beat to beat heart rate vs time (NOT ECG's) with various rhythms. [www.afibbers.org] If you look at p8 of the pdf, you see a good example of the lack of variability. This lack of variability which is caused by the AV node allowing ever 2nd, 3rd or 4th atrial signal through. Also, sometimes the flutter will change back & forth between 3:1 & 4:1 conduction, for example. There are some of those examples in the PDF.

The AV node, if not familiar, is between the atria & the ventricles. In afib, it blocks random signals, which is why afib ventricular rate has a random beat length. In flutter, it blocks the signals in a regular fashion.
January 05, 2024 08:07PM
GeorgeN

So it will say normal sinus rhythm and tachycardia on the kardiamobile when it could actually be atrial flutter?

Yes, flutter is hard to diagnose without a 12 lead ECG. The Kardia device uses the large beat to beat variability to diagnose afib. Flutter, on the other hand, has a very regular beat. The only time I personally see flutter is when I used to use a larger dose of flecainide to convert afib (I now use 1/3 less). With the larger dose, the afib would convert to flutter and then back to afib. Using a beat to beat recording heart rate monitor, recording for the whole episode, the flutter would look very regular in the midst of the chaotic afib. It would just be a high rate (say 130 BPM). I should note that my flutter is an assumption on my part as I never tested the hypothesis with a 12 lead. If I put a Kardia on during this time, it would likely say "tachycardia."

Years ago, a member, Mark, in the UK provided me with a bunch of graphs of beat to beat heart rate vs time (NOT ECG's) with various rhythms. [www.afibbers.org] If you look at p8 of the pdf, you see a good example of the lack of variability. This lack of variability which is caused by the AV node allowing ever 2nd, 3rd or 4th atrial signal through. Also, sometimes the flutter will change back & forth between 3:1 & 4:1 conduction, for example. There are some of those examples in the PDF.

The AV node, if not familiar, is between the atria & the ventricles. In afib, it blocks random signals, which is why afib ventricular rate has a random beat length. In flutter, it blocks the signals in a regular fashion.

That is something I have never heard of. To be honest I don't even think my Cardiologist knows this. He always says he doesn't have answers.
January 05, 2024 08:30PM
GeorgeN

When I get these attacks my heart rate stays generally no higher than 160 BPM but usually 125-140 BPM. Could those beats per minute rate still be Aflutter?
January 05, 2024 08:31PM
Daisy

When I get these attacks my heart rate stays generally no higher than 160 BPM but usually 125-140 BPM. Could those beats per minute rate still be Aflutter?
January 05, 2024 09:09PM
Rucan

Sure. Let's assume the atria are beating 300 BPM in flutter. Then with 2:1 conduction through the AV node, then the ventricular rate is 150 BPM. 3:1 would be 100 BPM and 4:1 would be 75. Now the atrial rate of 300 is an assumption, which could be different - higher or lower, but the math is the same. If we assumed 350 BPM, then 2:1 would be 175, 3:1 would be 116 and 4:1 would be 87.5. Now there is no reason the atria would be beating at an even number, but you get the point. In my case, many times the rate in flutter was in the 130's.
January 05, 2024 09:58PM
Flutter rates can vary a great deal, sometimes not much higher than your normal resting HR and sometimes clocking in at over 200.
January 05, 2024 10:10PM
GeorgeN

Sure. Let's assume the atria are beating 300 BPM in flutter. Then with 2:1 conduction through the AV node, then the ventricular rate is 150 BPM. 3:1 would be 100 BPM and 4:1 would be 75. Now the atrial rate of 300 is an assumption, which could be different - higher or lower, but the math is the same. If we assumed 350 BPM, then 2:1 would be 175, 3:1 would be 116 and 4:1 would be 87.5. Now there is no reason the atria would be beating at an even number, but you get the point. In my case, many times the rate in flutter was in the 130's.

Thank you for explaining this so well. I am just learning.
January 05, 2024 10:11PM
Daisy
Flutter rates can vary a great deal, sometimes not much higher than your normal resting HR and sometimes clocking in at over 200.

Thank you for explaining.
January 05, 2024 11:54PM
Sounds exactly like mine in Atrial Tachycardia (similar to flutter)...
January 07, 2024 01:43AM
Daisy

Yes, Kardia can’t differentiate between Flutter and Tachycardia — it will label both Tachycardia. Flutter often has very high rates and can feel exhausting. It takes a 12 lead EKG and an experienced EP to diagnose Flutter.

In this article here, isn't it saying that Kardiamobile can detect Aflutter? [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
January 07, 2024 07:22AM
Rucan
In this article here, isn't it saying that Kardiamobile can detect Aflutter? [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Yes, it states it is non inferior for diagnosing flutter. However, in the full paper: [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] in Table 1, none of the patients were listed as having a prior flutter diagnosis. Furthermore, as I read the paper, they used 3 expert human teams of two people each to analyze the 12 lead ECGs as well as the Kardia ECGs and are not comparing the Kardia analysis algorithm. What they are comparing is how good is a paper printed ECG for a 12 lead device vs a paper printed ECG captured by a Kardia, for expert human analysis.

Both 12-lead and KM ECG records were analyzed by three independent teams comprised of two cardiologists each. ECG interpretation was carried out according to a previously elaborated online form, consistent with the Polish ECG Description Guidelines [1], which required assessment of the following: ECG quality (good, acceptable, poor), rhythm (sinus rhythm, AF, atrial flutter [AFl] or pacemaker rhythm), presence of pathological Q wave as well as PQ, RR and QT measurements. In order to avoid cognitive and measurement bias, all KM ECG records were printed out in 1:1 ratio and assessed in paper-based form

They also don't list how many patients were diagnosed as presenting with flutter. It could be one patient and the ECG analysis teams agreed the person had flutter. They only state 100% sensitivity and specificity for flutter.

Perhaps Moderator Carey will comment. He was an EMT for many years, so a lot of professional experience looking at ECGs. As well, he had a lot of flutter personally, so experience looking at his own. I recall he has previously commented that, even with a 12 lead, flutter is difficult to diagnose and takes an experienced EP. Here is one comment he made: [www.afibbers.org]
January 07, 2024 09:42AM
GeorgeN

Yes, it states it is non inferior for diagnosing flutter. However, in the full paper: [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] in Table 1, none of the patients were listed as having a prior flutter diagnosis. Furthermore, as I read the paper, they used 3 expert human teams of two people each to analyze the 12 lead ECGs as well as the Kardia ECGs and are not comparing the Kardia analysis algorithm. What they are comparing is how good is a paper printed ECG for a 12 lead device vs a paper printed ECG captured by a Kardia, for expert human analysis.

Both 12-lead and KM ECG records were analyzed by three independent teams comprised of two cardiologists each. ECG interpretation was carried out according to a previously elaborated online form, consistent with the Polish ECG Description Guidelines [1], which required assessment of the following: ECG quality (good, acceptable, poor), rhythm (sinus rhythm, AF, atrial flutter or pacemaker rhythm), presence of pathological Q wave as well as PQ, RR and QT measurements. In order to avoid cognitive and measurement bias, all KM ECG records were printed out in 1:1 ratio and assessed in paper-based form

They also don't list how many patients were diagnosed as presenting with flutter. It could be one patient and the ECG analysis teams agreed the person had flutter. They only state 100% sensitivity and specificity for flutter.

Perhaps Moderator Carey will comment. He was an EMT for many years, so a lot of professional experience looking at ECGs. As well, he had a lot of flutter personally, so experience looking at his own. I recall he has previously commented that, even with a 12 lead, flutter is difficult to diagnose and takes an experienced EP. Here is one comment he made: [www.afibbers.org]

Thank you so much for your knowledge and help.
January 07, 2024 11:56AM
GeorgeN

Not much more to add. You and Daisy have covered it pretty well. You can lookup flutter and see examples of how to recognize it on an ECG, but at least with the flutter I've seen, which is hundreds of examples (most my own), it's rarely as patently obvious as the textbook examples. I've had a cardiologist and an ER doc stand in front of me and disagree over one of my ECGs. I've had more than one EP admit they couldn't be sure what they were looking at was flutter, especially once I discovered there is a rare beast known as flutter with a variable rate. It looks like afib at first glance because it's not rock solid regular, but on closer examination I could see multiple P waves between each QRS in certain leads, and that's the true diagnostic sign of flutter.
January 07, 2024 12:26PM
Kardia Mobile also doesn’t even have a diagnostic criteria for Flutter. From their website here is what it can report:

The KardiaMobile 6L device is the first and only six-lead personal ECG cleared by the FDA. It detects more arrhythmias than any other personal ECG device. KardiaMobile 6L provides instant detection of Atrial Fibrillation, Bradycardia, Tachycardia, Sinus Rhythm with Supraventricular Ectopy, Sinus Rhythm with Premature Ventricular Contractions, Sinus Rhythm with Wide QRS and Normal Heart Rhythm in an ECG.
January 07, 2024 04:27PM
Carey

Not much more to add. You and Daisy have covered it pretty well. You can lookup flutter and see examples of how to recognize it on an ECG, but at least with the flutter I've seen, which is hundreds of examples (most my own), it's rarely as patently obvious as the textbook examples. I've had a cardiologist and an ER doc stand in front of me and disagree over one of my ECGs. I've had more than one EP admit they couldn't be sure what they were looking at was flutter, especially once I discovered there is a rare beast known as flutter with a variable rate. It looks like afib at first glance because it's not rock solid regular, but on closer examination I could see multiple P waves between each QRS in certain leads, and that's the true diagnostic sign of flutter.

Thank you.
January 07, 2024 04:28PM
Daisy
Kardia Mobile also doesn’t even have a diagnostic criteria for Flutter. From their website here is what it can report:

The KardiaMobile 6L device is the first and only six-lead personal ECG cleared by the FDA. It detects more arrhythmias than any other personal ECG device. KardiaMobile 6L provides instant detection of Atrial Fibrillation, Bradycardia, Tachycardia, Sinus Rhythm with Supraventricular Ectopy, Sinus Rhythm with Premature Ventricular Contractions, Sinus Rhythm with Wide QRS and Normal Heart Rhythm in an ECG.

Thank you
January 07, 2024 04:47PM
I get trembly muscles in my legs and generally what feels like all over when I have a bad afib attack. I had one last week, saw my HR spike up to 188, but was back in NSR by the time they got me on the EKG in the ER about 20 min later. So this one I didn't have for long, but it was sudden and severe and scary. So yeah there can be some impending doom feelings that go along with it. I just try to ride it out and let it go. Reminding myself that I'm not the only person to have this helps, however, the ER docs always look at me like they've never heard of such a thing before as the shakiness, so go figure. If you've met one afibber, you've only met one afibber. smiling smiley My guess is everyone is different.

Yes I can get palps after eating a lot. For me, if I jump up from the table and go sit right back down at my puter, arrhythmia can come one. It's as if I need to consciously keep track of what I'm doing at all times so I don't trigger it.
January 07, 2024 07:56PM
Shiny Sleeves
I but it was sudden and severe and scary. So yeah there can be some impending doom feelings that go along with it.

This is where I'm at everyday because its been a year and I have not been diagnosed yet. My episodes are so bad I can only breath through my open mouth when they happen. The exhaustion is tremendous. No one has found the arrythmia yet.
January 07, 2024 08:15PM
Rucan
No one has found the arrhythmia yet.

Have they had you on a 2 week or one month monitor that they can interrogate yet? Many of the monitors they use are single lead. In your case a multi lead monitor might make more sense for being able to diagnose the rhythms.
January 07, 2024 08:32PM
GeorgeN

No one has found the arrhythmia yet.

Have they had you on a 2 week or one month monitor that they can interrogate yet? Many of the monitors they use are single lead. In your case a multi lead monitor might make more sense for being able to diagnose the rhythms.

When I was rushed to the hospital April of 2023 it took almost an hour just for an ecg and they could find nothing even though my heart rate was high. The hospital sent me to see my first cardiologist a couple of days later. He put me on a 5 day monitor which showed nothing. Just high heart rate at times. I saw a second cardiologist 2 months later who thought I had wolfe parkinson white syndrome and sent me to an EP for a electrophysiology and to ablate. The EP that did the electrophysiology did not find wpw so did not ablate and did not look for other arrythmias like afib or aflutter because he said I did not have documentation for that. I am currently on DR400 Patch Style Holter Recorder which is a 14 day one. I don't know what it can and can't read. I am desperate for them to identify anything.
January 09, 2024 11:52PM
Daisy

I have asked my Cardiologist about Aflutter and he said it would have showed up on the Kardia mobile results which I provide him. He says atrial flutter is not there and it's probably that I have anxiety. I DON'T HAVE ANXIETY!! But because he has not detected an arrythmia on 2 ecg's he's done at the office, he is saying it's anxiety. If there is any anxiety it is only after I have a big episode of sudden fast heart racing which lasts over and hour and leaves me exhausted. The only time I get anxiety has always been as a response to the episode of sudden heart racing to 140 BPM not before it. I have woken up at night with one of these horrible episodes. Last one I had, I was just sitting on my front porch relaxing . I didn'thave any anxiety before they happened.
January 10, 2024 08:32PM
Maybe it is time to seek a second opinion!
January 11, 2024 12:03AM
Rucan
I have asked my Cardiologist about Aflutter and he said it would have showed up on the Kardia mobile results which I provide him.

No, it would not have showed up. They should know that. Probably most of the members here know that and none of us are doctors, much less cardiologists.

You need a new cardiologist, preferably an EP.
January 12, 2024 01:14AM
Carey

I have asked my Cardiologist about Aflutter and he said it would have showed up on the Kardia mobile results which I provide him.

No, it would not have showed up. They should know that. Probably most of the members here know that and none of us are doctors, much less cardiologists.

You need a new cardiologist, preferably an EP.

100% agree. I am seeing a new cardiologist at the end of the month. The cardiologist I have now has misread the EKG that was first done at a different facility on me and sent to him. He said I had wolff parkinson white syndrome when it was not on there, He sent me to do an electrophysiology test which confirmed he was wrong. The EP sent me back to this cardiologist for a loop recorder. He didn't even give me a holter monitor. He tells me to record my EKG's on my kardia mobile and bring it in to him on a usb drive. And since he isn't finding any arrythmia's on there, just tachycardia. His new diagnoses is that it must be anxiety. I told him I don't have anxiety and never have. His response was that there is no evidence on the ekg that was sent to him and nor on my kardia mobile that I have aflutter so he is saying my episodes that last 2-2.5 hours are just panic attacks. Never had panic attacks in my life. I will be so happy to get a way from this "cardiologist". My family Doctor had advised me that I should no longer be seeing him as the trust relationship has been broken. Every diagnoses or guess he has done has been wrong. Now his new diagnoses is he wants me to convince myself I have some kind of anxiety I never knew about.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2024 01:20AM by Rucan.
January 12, 2024 03:05PM
Nine times out of 10 when a doctor diagnoses anxiety, what they're really saying is they have no idea what's wrong. That's particularly true if you're a woman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login