Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coffee, Alcohol, Diltiazem and Flecainide

Posted by mjamesone 
Coffee, Alcohol, Diltiazem and Flecainide
December 22, 2023 04:34PM
I like a morning coffee and an occasional beer. However, when I'm taking Flecainide and/or Diltiazem, I've skipped both, mostly based on package inserts, which sometimes can be overly cautious. I did find, however, that a cup of coffee on Flecainide feels like four cups, which is too much for me.

Wondering how this compares to the group's experience? Do you have an occasional drink and/or cup of coffee on either/both of these drugs?
And if the answer is "no", then why not?

I'm not asking if you should have an occasional drink, or drink coffee simply because you have afib. That's another issue and I'm comfortable with both, at least when I'm off those two meds.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2023 04:41PM by mjamesone.
Re: Coffee, Alcohol, Diltiazem and Flecainide
December 22, 2023 05:09PM
I take Diltiazem and I haven't noticed any issues with drinking a cup of coffee with it. I don't really drink alcohol that often, but I don't remember if I had a problem or not.
December 22, 2023 06:25PM
I've taken flecainide and I'm taking diltiazem now. Never had any issues with coffee or alcohol.
December 23, 2023 09:44AM
Thanks. Good to know. Curious why you're still taking Diltiazem as your last ablation was a success? From what I've read -- and personal experience -- it's one of the weaker calcium blockers for bp control only, say versus Amlodipine, which I take. What dose are you on and what is your bp on and off of it, assuming that's why you're taking it.

Jim
December 23, 2023 09:51AM
Thank. Good to know.

Jim
December 23, 2023 11:14AM
mjamesone
Thanks. Good to know. Curious why you're still taking Diltiazem as your last ablation was a success? From what I've read -- and personal experience -- it's one of the weaker calcium blockers for bp control only, say versus Amlodipine, which I take. What dose are you on and what is your bp on and off of it, assuming that's why you're taking it.

For BP control, along with HCTZ and olmesartan. 180 mg. I've tried amlodipine and it gave me ridiculously swollen ankles. That combination keeps me down in the 140/80 range. Beta blockers work better but I utterly despise beta blockers. They make me feel like I've got weights strapped to my arms and legs.
December 23, 2023 11:28AM
Funny how we all react differently. Diltiazem 120/day eventually gave me swollen ankles but Amlodipine 5mg/day, not so much. Syst in the 150's, so thinking of adding something like an ACE to get down some. I hear you about Beta Blockers. Can't function on them, plus they make me jittery, which is the opposite of what they're supposed to do. I only used them along with Diltiazem to tweak my ambulatory HR a little when in afib, but now Flecainide does the trick.

Jim
December 25, 2023 04:10PM
Did you have issues with dizziness when first taking dilitazem? Did it go away? Thank you
December 25, 2023 04:13PM
Did you have dizziness with dilatizem and did it go away? Just started and am getting some dizziness, weird head sensations, thank you
December 25, 2023 05:39PM
Nana
Did you have dizziness with dilatizem and did it go away? Just started and am getting some dizziness, weird head sensations, thank you

Yes. Definitely. Not an issue when I was in fast afib and using it to reduce my rate, but became an issue when I used it in normal rhythm.

At first, I was literally walking into walls smiling smiley Later, that went away but I also started to feel "weird head sensations" about 7-9 hours after taking the slow release 120mg capsules. Later, I switched to the equivalent dosing with the fast acting tabs (30mg, 4x/day) and that sensation went away.

Not sure if it was switching to the tabs, or just my body getting used to it, but at some point all the side effects went away and I now tolerate it well. The only side effects I now feel are a lower exercise heart rate and sometimes edema (swelling) of my ankle and lower legs. Edema is not an uncommon side effect.

So overall, not perfect, but I definitely prefer Diltiazem to a beta blocker.

Jim
December 26, 2023 04:11PM
Nana
Did you have issues with dizziness when first taking dilitazem? Did it go away? Thank you

Everyone is different but dilitazem stops my dizziness. It seems to calm me and my heart. I’m sure my dizziness is linked to my BP but 10mg BID lisinopril and dilitazem BID keeps my headaches away. I doubled up with dilitazem (my EP permission) because I live (doesn’t matter where) in a war zone and missiles and hours of nightly sounds of jet fighters planes and siren alerts are giving me the willies.
December 26, 2023 05:25PM
What is your dose in mg? I'm assuming slow release capsules vs the tabs?

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2023 05:26PM by mjamesone.
December 26, 2023 06:03PM
Take it with the grain of salt- I have a pacemaker so I can take more . I take 120mg time release am and pm and I allowed a 60mg fast acting PIP as long as I don’t exceed 300mg in a 24 hours. Today I took pretty close to the maximum (120mg CD@130pm and at midnight and I should not had taken the half (30mg) fast release at 5pm but I heard aircraft that raised my BP. Too close apart. I’m not going to do that again because I took a benzo to sleep as well. I am revved up and can’t sleep.

Don’t experiment without an EP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login