Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

D ribose

Posted by Nana 
D ribose
December 18, 2023 10:51AM
I'm wondering if anyone else has tried d ribose, whether it helped and how long it took to work. I'm seeing a new doctor on the 28th, but for the last year I've been trying some natural methods due to the fact I couldn't tolerate the side effects from the beta blockers, they didn't seem to help anyway. I just had some very stressful things happen and it has revved up my afib. Have tried d ribose for the last 3 days, currently in afib for 12 hours. The episodes keep getting longer and longer and more frequent since the stressful things have occurred. My anxiety ramped up 2 weeks or so ago and the afib is going nuts. However, the d ribose doesn't seem to be working either. Does it take awhile? Thank you, desperate in California. Seriously thinking of going to the hospital to see if they'll do a cardioversion, I also recently, 5 months ago, hurt my back and have been struggling with that. I'm sure that's adding to my anxiety. Any advice on cardioversion and does it hurt? Was thinking of an ablation over a year ago, but was hesitant and my anxiety again flared up and I couldn't deal with it, any advice welcome, thank you
Re: D ribose
December 18, 2023 11:29AM
Hi, sorry about your situation with Afib, but I have never heard of D Ribose having any effect on it at all. As far as cardioversion, are you taking an anticoagulant? They will not do an electrical conversion unless you have been on one for about three weeks. Otherwise they would have to do a transesophageal echocardiogram to check for clots. They would probably do a chemical conversion though these are often not very successful unless you use an anti-arrhythmic like flecainide. The more usual one given in the ER is Diltiazem, a calcium channel blocker. Given as an IV push it is successful for some: less so when given as a drip.If you tell us more about your history with Afib, we might be able to give you more targeted thoughts on how to proceed. But as you know, anxiety is not your friend and any means you have to reduce it will likely be helpful.
December 18, 2023 12:58PM
I was having episodes about once a week, now every other day. My stresses are recent passing of my dad and upcoming surgery for my husband. I've been on eliquis for over a year. My system is currently very sensitive,very apprehensive about any of this, thank you
December 19, 2023 12:03AM
Hi. I feel mine worsened after my mother passed away 1.5 years ago. I have been using D-Ribose for a few months. Take before walking or riding bike. I thought at the beginning that it made a difference but then realised that it didn't. Still have Afib approximately 30% of the time. I would say keep going for a month or so and see how it goes. Maybe quality of the product might make a difference. First batch was from iHerb and a good brand. 2nd from a gym supplement company here in Australia. Not as confident with the quality of this one.
December 20, 2023 09:20PM
I had 2 cardioversions 2 weeks apart last Mar-April and haven't had a long episode since then. I'm 67, male, normal weight, no bad habits.

They gave me ativan for general upset at being there and I think they use propofol to put you under. The nurse said I'd be awake for it but wouldn't remember anything. So I says if I won't remember anything then let's go for it. The next thing I know I'm opening my eyes and in NSR. Then I triggered it again 2 weeks later with using too much salt. I'm super sensitive to salt.

As soon as I was lucid and the ativan wore off somewhat they sent me home. My wife drove us back. I wasn't there long, just a couple hours.

So yes I can recommend it BUT, it's still possible to loosen up a blood clot with the procedure, and the dr there said he was a little hesitant because as he said, "Strokes suck." I said let's try it anyway as for me, afib is extremely uncomfortable, my heart is good otherwise, and I take fish oil every day, which is a blood thinner.

They stick adhesive backed electrodes to your chest, not the paddles you see. It's not like on TV where the guy goes flying off the gurney. Opened my eyes and wallah. An hour later I was in the car. YMMV
December 21, 2023 08:40PM
Thank you for the info, I appreciate knowing more about what they do and the drugs they use, I'm glad yours is better
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login