Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting article on Afib, Potassium, + Magnesium...

Posted by ama1952 
Interesting article on Afib, Potassium, + Magnesium...
December 01, 2023 08:00PM
Just came across this interesting article from Orthomolecular Medicine News Service from a member of their editorial board describing a protocol he used for AFIB which he considered "successful".....Click here-[orthomolecular.activehosted.com]
Re: Interesting article on Afib, Potassium, + Magnesium...
December 01, 2023 08:49PM
Interesting. His 120 mg of magnesium citrate is about 13 mg of magnesium. 1000 mg of potassium citrate is about 120 mg of potassium.

Without the Dofetilide, for a long time, I've taken about 4000 mg of potassium as citriate (weight of compound is about 33,000 mg of potassium citrate) and ish around 4000 mg of magnesium as glycinate, malate and chloride (don't have the total weight worked out). I put the potassium citrate in about a liter of water and consume it over the day, for a "timed release" effect. I consume the magnesium all at once. My magnesium doses would keep many on the toilet all day. If anybody increases their magnesium dose, I suggest doing it slowly and stop and back down a bit when bowel tolerance is reached. Also, electrolyte supplementation is only for those with good kidney function. If kidney function is good, you will urinate out whatever your body doesn't need. If kidney function is bad, electrolytes will accumulate in the blood and this can be dangerous.

My intake of the magnesium and potassium, along with around 2g of taurine, limiting calcium intake to < 500 mg/day from all sources as well as not doing long duration, high intensity endurance exercise are keys to my afib remission strategy.
December 01, 2023 10:03PM
I get a lot of potassium from 8oz low sodium V-8 in the morning and 600mg magnesium (mixed types) at night. I just went two years without any afib, though I had a brief episode last summer from lifting. I had also tried cutting my potassium in half. I Have wondered if I should be spreading either out throughout the day.
December 02, 2023 07:45AM
windyshores
I get a lot of potassium from 8oz low sodium V-8 in the morning and 600mg magnesium (mixed types) at night. I just went two years without any afib, though I had a brief episode last summer from lifting. I had also tried cutting my potassium in half. I Have wondered if I should be spreading either out throughout the day.
Certainly makes sense for potassium as with a bolus of potassium, the kidneys will immediately urinate out any excess.
December 04, 2023 10:22AM
I do have some kidney failure, stage 3 A so not too bad. When that appeared in testing, I cut the low sodium V=8 in half. I wonder how much I shoud have at a time. Eight ounces is 860mg potassium.
December 04, 2023 12:59PM
windyshores
I do have some kidney failure, stage 3 A so not too bad. When that appeared in testing, I cut the low sodium V=8 in half. I wonder how much I shoud have at a time. Eight ounces is 860mg potassium.

Serum potassium test range is 2.5-5.5 3.5 to 5.5 mEq/L. During my over 19 years here, most afibbers try to keep there serum levels between 4.0-5.0. The risk with poor kidney function is that the potassium will continue to accumulate. If you've been consuming the V8 with potassium chloride added for some time, likely your function is sufficient to clear the excess. A blood test to check this, taken before you've consumed any V8 that day, would give you a clue about your levels. Here is a book chapter on serum potassium [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov].
December 18, 2023 10:39AM
I'm new to this forum and can't find the button for new topic so I can make a new post, could you please help me? Thank you
December 18, 2023 06:03PM
Nana
I'm new to this forum and can't find the button for new topic so I can make a new post, could you please help me? Thank you

If you go back to the main forum page [www.afibbers.org] It is above and to the left of Subject (written in white letters with a green background). See the image file I've attached.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5110.jpg (82.7 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login