Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"To clot or not to clot" That is the question

Posted by KingFizzy 
"To clot or not to clot" That is the question
November 10, 2023 10:18AM
Many of us are dealing with walking along the edge of a cliff that is ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. Insurance challenges, anecdotes and empiricism are scattered throughout this forum. For various reasons people pick their poison or mix of poisons and perhaps not always on solid ground.

Even in the best of worlds few of us know EXACTLY what's happening with our blood from one day to the next even if we're rigid in our diet, medications and supplements.

I've been privately advised by a very respected and well known expert to "get a full assessment of my clotting factors" ASAP.

For a while I've been on a kind of triple therapy and then some to avoid a clot due to the angina I've been feeling. I take Eliquis 5mg, ASA 81mg and a Natto/Serra supplement. Other things I am doing diet wise may be exacerbating clotting factors and possibly putting me closer to the edge of the cliff.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I use garlic in my cooking as if my home is surrounded by vampires. Oregano too, natto now and then (not listed in that paper) some ginger and occasional green tea.

Major question. What labs are best to determine as well as possible all clotting factors?

What I know so far and am planning to get: PT, aPTT, thrombin clotting time, fibrinogen levels, and coagulation factor levels, HCT

What am I missing? Thanks.
Re: "To clot or not to clot" That is the question
November 17, 2023 03:22PM
KingFizzy - Don't delay in following the advice to 'get a full assessment of my clotting factors'... I hope you are already scheduled. What types of 'heart doctors' are you scheduled to see?

With the angina symptom, I can appreciate the preventive aspect of taking the Eliquis, ASA and Natto/Serra but I also think that might be a bit risky taking that combination... (but, obviously, I'm not a doctor.). However, I have a low platelet count and early in my AFib journey, I was placed on Warfarin... as that's all there was back then. That facilitated a severe nosebleed that sent me to the ER. After that, dosing was 'tricky' and led me to use just the alternative (Nattokinase). I'm not suggesting you do that... but, rather, encouraging you to be very sure that it's safe to take your 'trio combination.'

Your previous, routine labs may provide your platelet count and I hope you and your cardiologist/EP are able determine what's appropriate and safe for you take.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login